PDA

View Full Version : Sigel and Jones on FSN--NOW

9 Ball Girl
11-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Sigel and Jones are going to be on the Best Damn Sports Network Period tonight, 11/16 at 10:30 PM. They're suppose to promote the IPT. We'll see.

Don't forget to watch the Sigel vs. Jones match tomorrow. My network shows billiards from 10 PM - 12 AM so set your VCRs, TIVOs, DVRs, etc.!

Nostroke
11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Let's hope tomorrow is better.

dg-in-centralpa
11-17-2005, 10:04 AM
Let us know how it is, my cable company doesn't carry FSN.

DG - bummer /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2005, 10:10 AM
You didn't miss much. After waiting 30 minutes through football stuff, Mike and Loree talked for about 1 minute (I can't remember about what so it wasn't memorable for me) and then Loree paired up with one of the show's guys and Mike did the same. Then they did a scotch double thingy where they could shoot in any ball under 60 seconds or so. That was it. (I might've preferred trick shots!)

My cable tonight is showing Billiards from 10PM - 12AM although the advertisement shows 10:30PM. I've got my DVR set up for the 2 hours.

Like Nostroke said, lets hope tonight is better.

Scott Lee
11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Wendy...I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Jones/Sigel match has been edited to just ONE hour, and will be broadcast as the BDSS (Best Damn Sports Show) episode for tonight (also a 1-hr program). Last night sucked...tonight should be better! Everyone should check their local listings...it will be shown at 8:30-9:30pm where I live (mountain time zone).

Scott

dg-in-centralpa
11-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Great job by KT's PR people, huh?

DG- /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

SPetty
11-17-2005, 03:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Great job by KT's PR people, huh?<hr /></blockquote>Y'know, I took a hint from PQQLK9 and awhile back set up a Google news search on the word "billiards". I haven't yet seen anything about the International Pool Tour come up in the search.

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Maybe. I'll have to wait 'til 10 PM EST because that's when Billiards will be on over here. But it does show Billiards as the program, not The Best Damn Sports... I'll post what it is that comes on when it hits 10 PM. Now the suspense is killing me!

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, it's 10 PM and it's the IPT match between sigel and Jones. Now I'm wondering if at 11 PM they'll be repeating it because my cable is showing Billiards from 10 - Midnight. Here we go!

rackem
11-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Sounds like the Bobby Riggs and the Billy Jean King of pool is getting ready to go off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Yup, 11 PM is a repeat. So what did I think of it? All I can say is that the most memorable line was from Mike Sigal during his interview where he said:

If she wins, you'll never hear the end of it. If I win, I'm supposed to win.

cueball1950
11-17-2005, 08:50 PM
i think it was boring and not really all that good. wish it could have been closer, if just to make it better.......mike

Bassn7
11-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Millions of people play 8-ball. Nearly NONE of them play on a 9 foot table. What a waste of air time. A great show . . . Efren vs Fisher on a bar box for the cash. I'd pay to see that.

JMD in VA
11-17-2005, 10:02 PM
A Review from The Mayor:

It was ok. There were a few things I did not like:

1) KT used so many cliches' and comparisons to other sports that it just got old.
2) KT also kept trying to sell us that these 2 were pro players. We know that! The whole "An amateur would....."
Beginner would have been a better word.
3) Every time KT and the other guy opened his mouth I was cringing.

Now to the good points:

1) Good crowd. Knowledgeable and responded well.
2) Kim Davenport. Good to see him (no pun intended) and hear his commentary. Will be glad to see him in action again.
3) KT promised something on a grand scale and he delivered.
4) I was playing some while I was watching Sigel and I broke and ran 2 racks.
5) Props to my "Deputy Mayor" Brian in VA for getting his company in on the action. Way to go B!

Overall grade:

C+ - B-

It has potential. Would be worth seeing in person!

The Mayor
JMD in VA

DebraLiStarr
11-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I fell asleep after about 5 minutes. When I woke up it was still on, but Trudeau was annoying. The presentation was ok, but he caused me to change the channel.

rackem
11-17-2005, 11:24 PM
WITH SIMONIS!! [ QUOTE ]

rackem
11-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Does anybody know if Sigel made his own cue?

catscradle
11-18-2005, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> I fell asleep after about 5 minutes. When I woke up it was still on, but Trudeau was annoying. The presentation was ok, but he caused me to change the channel. <hr /></blockquote>

Right you are. The show generally sucked, but Kevin Trudeau was unbearable.

dg-in-centralpa
11-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Well I'm glad I didn't get to see it. Sounds as if it was a waste. All this talk about being on "Prime Time" but it's on a channel that not everyone gets. With KT's money, why didn't he buy time on ESPN or any of the national network stations?

DG

Rich R.
11-18-2005, 07:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Well I'm glad I didn't get to see it. Sounds as if it was a waste. All this talk about being on "Prime Time" but it's on a channel that not everyone gets. With KT's money, why didn't he buy time on ESPN or any of the national network stations?

DG <hr /></blockquote>
I would have liked to see it, even if it did suck. However, like you, I do not get that channel on my cable system. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Vagabond
11-18-2005, 07:39 AM
It is produced &amp; marketed very well and I am impressed.It is geared towards the lay audience and I believe that they too will be impressed.
Pool players are very critical and nothing satiesfies them.For pool players this show may not be the best.
cheers to KT and his IPT
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
kevin Trudeau is going to take pool to new heights and I believe that.

Ross
11-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I thought the commentary by KT was stupid enough that over time he might have a hit.

"Eight-Ball is much harder to play than 9-ball." "Loree Jon Jones is the all-time top female pool player." "This match is much harder than the usual ones on TV where the tables have 5 1/2 inch pockets that are like buckets."

I mean he got rich selling snake oil, so he knows the power of exaggeration and of not letting facts get in the way of a good pitch. He should do well.

Deeman3
11-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I enjoyed the show as, hey, it's pool. I would like to have seen more pool, less commercials but overall, it was not bad. Judos on seeing the Kimmer again. I thought we might never see him after the injury.

I did think Trudeau's remarks were a little redundant but to a non-pool pplayer they were probably o.k. The production values were nice. I would have preferred they interviewed the "Stars" sometime other than during the shooting.

Hey, it's a least more pool on TV.

Deeman

Brian in VA
11-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Here's my two cents for what it's worth.

Production values - top notch; it's a lot easier when you're editing in post rather than going live. Just the same, the technical crew is to be commended for their work.

Announcers - Joel Meyer is Mitch Laurance with smoother pipes. Kim Davenport was a good color guy until KT got in the booth. At least he had enough sense not to talk over him. KT's comments were adequate for the occasional player but redundant (he is in sales after all) and not particularly insightful for those that play the game regularly, like the folks on this board. His word choice is fine when you're trying to get it off the ground. One would hope it would begin to sound more astute over time however.

Venue and set - looked terrific on TV as did the graphics. Very clear pics, great angles and it looked like a big event.

Match quality - kind of like watching a first round match at the Open with a top 5 player playing a first time; like me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If it had gone hill - hill instead of a walk over, this would have been a remarkable event for everyone not just occasional players. I wish Loree Jon, who looked incredible by the way, could have gotten more comfortable. Sigel was tight too but he seemed to handle it better.

All in all, I thought it was a commendable first effort and believe that the first time we all see some close matches, there will be some great pool TV. I give it a B+ overall.

Brian in VA - not the deputy mayor, closer to the city manager....I actually do something.

John in NH
11-18-2005, 04:19 PM
After watching Sigel and Jones on FSN and after reading the responses from other CCB'ers who watched this match and many of the comments mentioned it is surprising to me that no one mentioned the skill level that Mike Sigel exhibeted during this contest, most people seemed to be more interested in Kevin Trudeau's commentary.

My opinion of this match is simple neither player ever played against a champion player of the opposite sex and they showed their nerves at the beginning, after awhile the best player (Mike Sigel) showed why he is one of the greatest 8 ball players ever. Mike exhibeted an awesome display of championship 8 ball pool.

Congratulations to Mike Sigel, Loree Jon Jones, and Kevin Trudeau on what could be a great beginning to a very successful IBT tour.

Regards,

John

sneakypapi
11-19-2005, 01:31 AM
Overall, I was not impressed with this event. 8 ball is harder to call in the booth as to 9 ball because there are more options to shoot, but the two guys, then three including Kevin, was more banter and hype then a true sports broadcast. The play of both at first had some shaky moments, which could be blamed on nerves but how long does it take to settle in? esp. at their level. I never had the opportunity to watch Sigel play before this and calling him the greatest player I think is pushing it he missed a few shots most pros would never miss plus he jumped up on many shots(a major no no). I have nothing against Loree Jon but she doesn't even come close to Allison Fisher. In sum, they should go back to the drawing board and take some notes from ESPN, they have a good combo of commentary from Mitch and Pro insight from whomever is with him.