PDA

View Full Version : Prize money and pool

Rip
06-25-2002, 06:12 PM
Phil Mickelson won $720,000 for winning a golf tournament last week. Anyone know of a pool player that won $720,000 last week? With the exception of Chris Cass I doubt there was one. We've got a long way to go. Rip

Tom_In_Cincy
06-25-2002, 06:40 PM
Pool is at the point that it either has to do something drastic, or this is as good as it will ever be.

Nothing drastic on the horizon.....

06-25-2002, 09:03 PM
I don't know if drastic is necessary, but different would certainly be a good start!

Harold Acosta
06-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Last week I won $2,000,000 playing one handed against Earl Strickland and Efren Reyes, they did all the racking. Beat Earl 13-zip, and Efren 13-1, cause I scratched on a 9 ball.

Dream, dream, dreeeam, dream, dream, dream.....

Cueless Joey
06-25-2002, 10:37 PM
I just got a hold of some videos. 1988 Brunswick World 9-Ball Championship at Caesars. The semis and the finals were on ESPN. Top prize was $40,000. How much was the top prize on the recent BCA tourney in Vegas? Half of that?
Sadly, our sport is regressing.

Harold Acosta
06-26-2002, 07:53 AM
Yeah, pool is regressing thanks to Don Mackey and the PBT Clan; and recently to Earl Strickland for his childish behaviour during the Camel Pro Tour which eventually led to the Tour cancellation....

Pool will never be what it used to.....

Doctor_D
06-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Good morning:

The time has not only come, but has been long overdue, for NEW Paradigms in the professional billiards arena.

Dr. D.

Mr Ingrate
06-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Hi Dr. D,

The DOT COMS were all about a new paradigm .... get market share, at any cost, and wealth will follow. It was doomed to failure because it wasn't a logical business model.

What new paradigms do you have in mind?

There has been a lot of talk about cleaning up the poor image of pool. Yet, when a major corporation puts a commercial using pool on the air, the primary message seems to be one person taking advantage, or showing up, another. In other words, the hustle is always the theme. I laugh along with everone else when the smart-ass gets taken by the lovely young lady hustler, but wonder if this ingrained perception isn't a major problem.

Doctor_D
06-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Good afternoon:

The new Paradigm would begin with a comprehensive and viable Business Plan, Budget, Forecast, Revenue Model and Marketing Plan. These Five (5) components, as a unit, are the foundation for the desgin, development and launch of any successful enterprise. Manage the game and the sport as a business with professional business people; promote the organization, game and the sport as a well organized and well managed entity and then, most importantly, make it financialliy viable for businesses and corporate America to invest their advertising, marketing and public relations dollars. There is no doubt that the current system, with the current management, is not working. Time to totally change, not only the playing field but, the managing players as well.

Professional Billiards needs to be marketed as a Product and not as a Novelty!

Dr. D.

Scott Lee
06-26-2002, 12:58 PM
Rip...Yep, he did!...and the guy who finished DEAD LAST (78th place) got $11,000, which is more than MOST 1st place finishes in ANY pro tournament! How sad is that?

Scott

Scott Lee
06-26-2002, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Yeah, pool is regressing thanks to Don Mackey and the PBT Clan; and recently to Earl Strickland for his childish behaviour during the Camel Pro Tour which eventually led to the Tour cancellation....

Pool will never be what it used to..... <hr></blockquote>

Harold...That remark about Earl is not entirely accurate!
Earl behavior was not what led to RJ Reynolds declining to continue their support of Men's Professional Pool. The more important reason, was that the corporate heavies felt that they were not getting a fair return on their investment. THAT'S why they switched their support to the amateur side, with the APA. Earl's bad behavior didn't help, but it was not the most important reason why they quit pro pool.

Scott

jjinfla
06-26-2002, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> Hi Dr. D,

There has been a lot of talk about cleaning up the poor image of pool. <hr></blockquote>

Hey Dave, just what is that little guy under your name doing? Jake

jjinfla
06-26-2002, 01:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Yeah, pool is regressing thanks to Don Mackey and the PBT Clan; and recently to Earl Strickland for his childish behaviour during the Camel Pro Tour which eventually led to the Tour cancellation....
<hr></blockquote> You can add Charlie to the list too. But I thank him for opening my eyes and making me realize how stupid I was to go and watch the "big boys" play and see if they will autograph a cue ball for me. And I was even going to pay them to do it? How dumb was that? I am over that and have absolutely no desire to watch them in person anymore. It's just a waste of time for me. But I have been buying some pretty good videos on Ebay for $10 and I can watch them over and over until I learn the shot. And they explain the shot too. Varner was at Fat Cats last night and nobody was watching him and Dan play their money games. Jake

Mr Ingrate
06-27-2002, 08:14 AM
Just poppin his head up every once in awhile to see what's goin on.

Mr Ingrate
06-27-2002, 08:20 AM
That's an OLD paradigm, Dr. D. but probably new for pool.

Old geezers like me call them "glittering generalities".

Any specifics?

PoolFan
06-27-2002, 09:50 AM
It's understandable that golf gets that kind of money. Corporate america is golf happy. I'm a consultant with one of the Big 6 Firms. When we are dealing with a Fortune 500 company, we dont' take the CEO out for a day of shooting pool.

Everybody in corporate america plays golf, it's vital for networking. Since these execs are so devoted to the sport and they know all other execs are also devoted, they are willing to advertise during a televised golf tournament. Dont' switch channels during televised golf and pay attention to who advertises during a golf tournament. You'll never see these ads any other time except maybe the Superbowl or March Madness.

Don't compare pool to golf. It's like comparing apples to the moon.

Now, if you want to gripe about something compare pool to bowling. Bowling has never made sense to me. Why is it, I see more bowling on TV and the money is better than pool? Does bowling have a big out-of-the-industry sponsor that I'm not aware of? Bowling is a one dimensional game - all offense. I find bowling boring to watch. Outside of the occassional 7-10 split, what excitement is there?

Pool, on the other hand, is two dimensional. It's more interesting to watch and I'm not saying that just because I'm a poolplayer, it just is more interesting.

That's what I don't get. Don't waste your time getting upset with golf payouts, get UPSET about sports like bowling that have been doing better than this sport and there's no good reason for that!!!!

PoolFan - Pissed about bowling doing better than pool

PQQLK9
06-27-2002, 10:24 AM
If we cannot change the impressions of Pool then lets accentuate the negative...Imagine a TV match with VIOLENCE ala Roller Derby, WWF,Jerry Springer,NASCAR,Hockey and even Baseball to name a few....just vision Earl hitting Buddy with his cue after a match only to get the crap beat out of him.The WPBA players could dress like those women wrestlers....(now THAT would be a Striking Viking).Can't you see the fans wearing 9-Ball colored afros....Yea! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
06-27-2002, 03:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rip:</font><hr> Phil Mickelson won $720,000 for winning a golf tournament last week. Anyone know of a pool player that won $720,000 last week? With the exception of Chris Cass I doubt there was one. We've got a long way to go. Rip <hr></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ya RIP, I beat Grady out of it. lol Don't tell the IRS though, he'll get pissed and I'll get audited. hahaha Hell, I lost $300. playing one pocket. LOL The good that came of it was a lesson learned. I should have remembered the one pocket break isn't like 8 ball. oop's.

Hey, I bought a Cuetech Earl Strickland signature cue. When, I broke I got mad.

Thinking seriously about opening up a ph/wedding chapel in Vegas. Selling joint rings on the side.

Regards,

C.C.~~misses Vegas, RIP and my doe. LOL Can't say I didn't deserve all of what RIP will give me and more.

Chris Cass
06-27-2002, 03:37 PM
Hi RIP,

I quit comparing golf prize money, to pool along time ago. It's enough to make ya sick. Even, the golfer ranked 33rd on the tour is a millionaire. In our sport, all the money seems to be going to the amature side.

The one thing I've been noticing throughout the yrs is, the entry fees are going down. The problem is that the cost of travel, food and lodging are still high, even with discounts. I can't blame it on one person though. I only blame it on the history of our country. Starting with the Depression, from there is where our troubles began. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~hates a black eye that, won't go away.

06-28-2002, 01:55 AM
Partial snip:
In our sport, all the money seems to be going to the amature side.
__________________________________________________ _________

Hi Chris.
I don't know what you mean by amateur side. Do you mean the small local tournaments? From the few I've seen these are run by local pool rooms out of a love for the game. It is a lot of work and they add money out of their pockets to the prize money. They don't charge anything for table time. They seem to spend a great deal of time trying to make them better, fairer to all comers, and not trying to limit who can play in them.
The pro tournaments all seem to be run by people or organizations more interested in what's in it for them. At least that's the feeling I get. But if these amateur tournaments are becoming profitable for players, then the pro ones can too once the pros get the right people and organizations running them. I hope this happens soon. Not for me. I will never be good enough to enter a pro tournament. But it would eventually be beneficial to all pool.