PDA

View Full Version : WI-FAR the next step.

Chopstick
11-22-2005, 07:05 AM
<font color="blue">I was just reading about this. I thought ya'll might find it interesting. </font color>

Wireless networking is expanding beyond the next room—or from downstairs to upstairs. Standards developers have set their sights on unused television bands to create regional-area networks. Makers of fractalshaped antennas, for their part, hope to integrate suites of wireless services unobtrusively into cars, cell phones and other devices.

The most common networks, based on Wi-Fi technology, radiate only about 100 meters from their source. Compare that with a range of kilometers for the frequencies between 54 and 862 megahertz, home to VHF and UHF television. Lower frequencies that propagate with less loss are better at penetrating foliage and buildings and are better at non-line-of-sight transmission.

Hence, frequencies less than 1 GHz are better for longer-range wireless than the 2.4 GHz or higher used in current wireless networks. In 2002 the Federal Communications Commission began soliciting public comments on the feasibility of wireless network transmissions broadcasting over the largely unused frequencies separating these TV channels. Access to these frequencies would mean a huge growth in wireless service.

Sid_Vicious
11-22-2005, 07:14 AM
ISP???sid

Chopstick
11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ISP???sid <hr /></blockquote>

ISP, GPS and much, much, more. Available everywhere, using unused TV bandwidth and the towers to do it are already there. Cool huh?

catscradle
11-22-2005, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> ISP???sid <hr /></blockquote>

ISP, GPS and much, much, more. Available everywhere, using unused TV bandwidth and the towers to do it are already there. Cool huh? <hr /></blockquote>

It sucks badly enough having to carry around this Blackberry when I'm on call, please NO MORE. I can see it now I'm in the middle of a game hill-hill, my Blackberry starts vibrating and I have to drag my laptop out from under the stool I had tucked it under (assuming nobody stole it) and I have to start working. It's bad enough I have to call in.

"Progress was alright once, but it has gone on too long." - Ogden Nash, American humorist.

Sid_Vicious
11-22-2005, 08:29 AM
Hope it comes soon. I've been on 56K due to line quality, and the SBC rep was even honest enough to say that improvements for me would probably be slim to none. Satellite is too costly, point to point the same with equipment costs up front, all the while friends are getting Dsl for $15 a month. SUCKS!

What I have been looking forward to is Wi-MAX. It supposedly carries a 30 mile range if and when it gets perfected. That'd be sweet, and should make the local ISP companys trim costs a little. Satellites would logically be dead unless they got really cheap on their charges. We'll see, but today...I am excited at your news about the Mhz frequency options. In your opinion, will the full modulation envelope at Mhz frequencies be seamlessly viable? Amps currently are designed to contain full info coverage at wideband. Will there be a need to engineer new amps for the same services???sid

Chopstick
11-22-2005, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Hope it comes soon. I've been on 56K due to line quality, and the SBC rep was even honest enough to say that improvements for me would probably be slim to none. Satellite is too costly, point to point the same with equipment costs up front, all the while friends are getting Dsl for $15 a month. SUCKS!

What I have been looking forward to is Wi-MAX. It supposedly carries a 30 mile range if and when it gets perfected. That'd be sweet, and should make the local ISP companys trim costs a little. Satellites would logically be dead unless they got really cheap on their charges. We'll see, but today...I am excited at your news about the Mhz frequency options. In your opinion, will the full modulation envelope at Mhz frequencies be seamlessly viable? Amps currently are designed to contain full info coverage at wideband. Will there be a need to engineer new amps for the same services???sid <hr /></blockquote>

I don't know. The article is this month's issue of Scientific American under Top 50 things that happened this year.