PDA

View Full Version : dirty bomber charged.

Qtec
11-22-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'Dirty Bomb' Suspect Jose Padilla Indicted
Charges Don't Include Government's Earlier Allegations That He Planned Terror Attacks in the U.S.

By Daniela Deane
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 22, 2005; 2:36 PM

Jose Padilla, a U.S. citizen held by the Bush administration for three years without charges as an enemy combatant plotting a "dirty bomb" attack in the United States, has been indicted on charges unrelated to any potential terrorist attack in this country.

Padilla, 35, a former Chicago gang member who converted to Islam, was indicted by a Miami federal grand jury Thursday on charges he and four others were part of a U.S.-based terrorism conspiracy to "murder, maim, and kidnap" people overseas, Justice Department officials announced at a press conference in Washington today.

"The indictment alleges that Padilla traveled overseas to train as a terrorist with the intention of fighting a violent jihad," Attorney General Alberto Gonzales said.

The charges did not include the government's earlier allegations, however, that Padilla was planning to carry out terrorist attacks in the United States. When asked about those allegations, for which Padilla was held, Gonzales said he could comment only on the present indictments
<hr /></blockquote>

June 2002.
(CNN) -- The following is a transcript from U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft's announcement Monday in Moscow, Russia, of the capture of a suspected al Qaeda operative who allegedly was planning to explode a "dirty bomb" in the United States:

I am pleased to announce today a significant step forward in the war on terrorism. We have captured a known terrorist who was exploring a plan to build and explode a radiological dispersion device, or "dirty bomb," in the United States.

In apprehending Al Muhajir as he sought entry into the United States, we have disrupted an unfolding terrorist plot to attack the United States by exploding a radioactive "dirty bomb."

Now, a radioactive "dirty bomb" involves exploding a conventional bomb that not only kills victims in the immediate vicinity but also spreads radioactive material that is highly toxic to humans and can cause mass death and injury.

From information available to the United States government, we know that Abdullah Al Muhajir is an Al Qaeda operative and was exploring a plan to build and explode a radioactive "dirty bomb."

Let me be clear: We know from multiple independent and corroborating sources that Abdullah Al Muhajir was closely associated with al Qaeda and that as an al Qaeda operative he was involved in planning future terrorist attacks on innocent American civilians in the United States."

?????????????

Whatever happened to the Dirty Bomb charge?

Like I have said before, the 'Dirty bomb' is a figment of the Govt's imagination, concocted to scare the US public into letting them do what they want. The Govt exaggerated every threat, real or imaginary, in order to gain support for the war in Iraq. This is a blatant example.
Now that the Govt has been FORCED to charge Padilla , an American citizen [ something they never wanted to do], their false claims and hype are being revealed. Obviously, they have no evidence to back-up their claims about a 'dirty bomb' despite at the time of his arrest they were so certain.
There are no 'maybe's or probably's' in Ashcroft's statement, he is very clear.

Notice how Padilla is refered to by his Muslim name, Abdullah Al Muhajir . Also Ashcroft says that he was caught when trying to enter the USA when in truth the guy was just coming home!.

Q

Fran Crimi
11-22-2005, 10:01 PM
That Washington Post article is two pages long. What you quoted---is that all that you felt is significant? Strange...

He's been indicted as a terrorist, Q. I'm sorry to hear they could only keep him for 3 years. They probably could have gotten more information from him being held rather than being indicted.

Reminds me of a story of when I worked on a Bud Light Super Bowl commercial. I had to shoot pool with a live chicken. Any other day of the week, that chicken would be soup. But since he worked on a commercial, he had rights, and we had to stop several times a day for nap breaks for the chicken. I wonder if they cooked him after the filming was done.

Here's the Associated Press version:

Indictment story (http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/11/22/D8E1KTJG0.html)

eg8r
11-23-2005, 03:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Notice how Padilla is refered to by his Muslim name, Abdullah Al Muhajir . <hr /></blockquote> Thank goodness for this. As you very well know, the Muslims are the only ones creating all the terror these days.

eg8r

Qtec
11-23-2005, 03:53 AM
I thought pasting the whole article would be too long for the Reps to read. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

From your article,
" Padilla's lawyers had asked justices to review his case last month, and the Bush administration was facing a deadline next Monday for filing its legal arguments.

"The 'evidence' the government has offered against Padilla over the past three years consists of double and triple hearsay from secret witnesses, along with information allegedly obtained from Padilla himself during his two years of incommunicado interrogation," his lawyers said in their earlier appeal.

The Bush administration earlier said Padilla, a former Chicago gang member, sought to blow up hotels and apartment buildings in the United States and planned an attack with a "dirty bomb" radiological device.

Gonzales sidestepped the question of why those allegations were not included in the indictment, saying he would only talk about the specific charges."

Why do you assume he is guilty? The Govt has offered no real evidence, only hearsay.
You also skipped my whole point, which is, what happened to the dirty bomb charge?
Were the Govt wrong?
Could they still be wrong?
As an American citizen, does Padilla deserve a fair trial?
Do you think its 'American' to hold an American citizen for 3 years , incomunicado, on a suspicion?

Welcolme to the police state.

Q

Chopstick
11-23-2005, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>
Why do you assume he is guilty? <font color="blue">Well, why don't we just set em in front of yo dawg. If they get bit, they must be guilty, right? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q
<hr /></blockquote>

If you think these guys had it bad try gettin caught with a fish that's out of season in Flarda. For starters they take your boat, your trailer, your car and your drivers license on the spot. Then you have to go to court where the real fun begins.

Fran Crimi
11-23-2005, 09:00 AM
A criminal may be guilty of a lot of things. He is usually charged based on what the gov't feels is supported by the most proof. What's the difference between life in prison for training to be a terrorist and life in prison for planning a dirty bomb attack? If there's the most proof available to support the terrorist training crime, then that's the way they would go. The end result is the same.

Al Capone was convicted of tax evasion. Does that mean he never killed anyone?

Discussing only the charges after the indictment is the legally correct thing to do.

Fran

supergreenman
11-23-2005, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Notice how Padilla is refered to by his Muslim name, Abdullah Al Muhajir . <hr /></blockquote> Thank goodness for this. As you very well know, the Muslims are the only ones creating all the terror these days.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure there are still plenty of Timothy Mcvies running around. I'm sure the many american muslims that pay taxes and contribute to american society every day might have a few words to dispute your semi-racist comments.

Intolerence is a disiese.