PDA

View Full Version : TEAM is not spelled with an I?

Cali
11-22-2005, 10:43 PM
Last year in Vegas-BCA Open Mens, my worst round was 3 wins out of 5. All of the other rounds were 4 and 5 wins. My other friend posted similar with one bad round of only 2 wins. Even when that puts the team at 8-10 wins per round, the other 3 teammates could not win enough in any of the rounds to get us past the 4th or 5th round to the best of my recollection. Tables are open for my friend and I, we run out. Tables are open for the rest of the team, they run a few balls and choke/miss. Same thing happened on another team from our area. Last year, the so called "Captain" ie Dictator decided he would be touchy feely and let everyone have a chance to play in Vegas. Thats swell, but will get you nowhere fast in the "Open" division, case and point. I decided, with the rest of my teams blessing, to rid the team of the dead weight OR make a new team. Castro--the Captain decided he wanted to stay on the team, though he cant carry his weight--but readily admits this, so we agreed to let him play with us again. I--with the teams blessing, am going to advise the 3 people that they will not be playing in Vegas this year unless they broke off and made their own team, hence they will not have to "sit the bench". I--because no one else will stand up to the "Captain",will advise them if they do not like the new "team effort" that they could leave and go to other teams and play in the trophy or "B" division. I have been out to Vegas ummm going on 9 or 10 times, and am tired of coming up way short. I--along with the other 4 or 5 guys want the best possible team we can bring, win or lose. I found it very frustrating to see 2 separate teams with a few good players with tons of runnout potential mixed with mediocre players trying to make it to the money rounds. So I combined the team and have a "loaded" team that should do decent this year. At least the few that shot last year wont have the burden of no one to "pick me up" if all else fails. I am pretty much maxxed out in BCA, and am APA 7 in eightball, and 9 in nineball, so at this point, yes winning or at least playing with an awesome team and losing, is EVERYTHING. I have explained to the others, since again I am the only one that can talk without yelling my point across, that it is nothing personal. Remember tryouts for sports? If you werent good enough you wouldnt make the Varsity, you would play JV or even get cut. Am I being unreasonable? Of course the 3 players in question think I am, and the other 5 who will be playing think I am right. I enjoy everyones input, but I am really looking for the journeymen, Supergreen/Cane and instructors/captains alike. I also implemented, it is OUR team and no one person makes the roster, it is a team effort. SORRY IT's 1 A.M. AND I HAVE HAD WAY TOO MUCH COFFEE!!! thanks jon

Chopstick
11-23-2005, 07:10 AM
I notice Cali is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

killerstroke
11-23-2005, 08:03 AM
Sounds like your team is spelled with a "U". Everything was about you. I am a team captain, and remember those people who show up week after week and are dedicated are just as responsible as the rest of the TEAM. Let me guess when someone on your team, a non-runout player, misses that shot to get out, you didn't miss it from the chair.

supergreenman
11-23-2005, 08:43 AM
Both the teams I play on have a simple, fair and effective policy. Everybody shows up, Low man/woman sits out the next match and everybody gets a chance to play and all winnings are split evenly. This works for us, there are no hurt feelings and we always end up placing well.

My team always enjoys beating teams like yours, a team is a collection of players working towards a common goal, not a collection of players who put personal achievement over peoples feelings.

And yes we've cut people from our team who aren't good enough, but they get a spot on our "farm team" in a lower division so it's not like they're being tossed out in the street.

J

Tom_In_Cincy
11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
If you're so good at playing pool, why don't you play in tournaments? Florida is full of great tournaments. Open to all great players.

Why do you need to be on a team to play in Vegas? Is a team championship that important to you? Has your many years of playing in Vegas (9 years) had any winners (teams that cashed?)

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

If you lose, its got to be someone elses fault.

Candyman
11-23-2005, 11:13 AM
TEAM doesn't have an "I", but it does have a "ME"> /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Snapshot9
11-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Vegas is good for almost all the participants. It
brings many players back to reality as far as what
level they think they are. Many local players sson
find out that a National or International level is
much much harder. There are teams there that practice
3 times a week in someone's basement besides league
play. Anyone that can not even win their league back
home should not expect too much when they go to Vegas.
I know what you are saying about 'weak sisters' on the
teams. Last time I went was 3 years ago, and although
some players might be considered good, the only ones
that 'stood up' to the level of play there was the
money players, the others choked in several games
because of the pressure. On a personal level, I was
very happy with my performance of winning 91% of my
games. The bottom line is "If you are going to run
with the big dogs, your bite better be as big as your
bark".

JPB
11-23-2005, 09:37 PM
pool is an individual sport.

wolfdancer
11-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I think Jon, until they let you play with five "7"'s in the APA, you'll have to accept the missed shots, poor strategy, of the lesser skilled players on your team....and try to coach them a little...help them out with their games... the fun of team pool...pulling for your other guys, hoping they can pull off an upset
My secret to playing on good teams was that I found players smart enough to play pretty good pool, and dumb enough to think I could play at their level.

caedos
11-26-2005, 09:58 PM
I play as an 'a' player in the BCA league system. In the north Dallas area my team plays in the SouthWest Eightball League (S.W.E.L.) Masters division. Most of us are 'a' players, with some BCA Masters and a few professionals from time to time (Neils Feijen played a night this year, Ralph Soquet a couple of years ago). When I was a 'c' player, we rotated bottom two off and never went to Vegas. As a 'b' player we rotated the bottom two performers off each week, and in major tournaments the top performers over the course of the season got preference. It is understood that you can play well and lose. What we watch for is those who give unnecessary opportunities and fail to take advantage of innings given up by opponents. As an 'a' player I have played a rotation roster for a couple of years, and then my life changed a bit. The team I play on now plays to win, not to keep everyone happy. Weaker players on the team get to play against weaker teams and when better players are unable to make the match. Some deference appears to be given to those who will be going to Vegas for the nationals in May. Those players need competitive reps to prep for tournament competition for our state and Vegas events. The players not on those rosters (we try to only field six when we travel out of the local league area) are the supporting cast for the regular season and could be viewed as understudies in case there is a hole to fill for the travel team. It can be a bit shocking or abrasive to those accustomed to having a 'right to play' environment. Our understanding among ourselves is up front, honest, and a bit brutal to an outside observer. We are simply trying to put a competitive product out there. It also gives the weaker players an incentive to do better. Any one of us have been known to sit ourselves out if we're shooting off. Our team captain has sat himself out when his stats say that's the right thing to do, and we trust him to make that decision for the rest of us. We are not perfect, and people occasionally pitch a fit or fuss; but in the end, we are better than before. One team I was on a long time ago had a captain who consulted with a few of his regular and long time players to remove the 'poison' from the team with regularity. Sometimes there was a confrontation or meeting, and sometimes a player was asked to leave the team. It's rough, and maybe it's you on the short end one day. If it's ever me, I try to learn from it and get stronger and better. I was on a team for less than a week one time, played one night, and was asked to play elsewhere the next day; they wanted a super-gun now and not a rookie who needed seasoning (me at the time). That hurt alot, but I'm a better player now for having been there.

If you want to set your team to run 'lean and mean' at the nationals, more power to you. Hopefully you can get a team together that is mature and keeps their sense of humor and perspective. I've seen several teams of local superstars put together, and many of them do not work well because they are individuals and not teammates trusting each other and pulling together. One big difference in my life when I moved into the 'a' level of play is that the pressure actually lessened from my team when I made an error. No one wants to succeed more than the shooter at hand, and many teams of individuals look at the guy who messed up and hold the error against him. I believe in accountability, but the objectivity and support that has come from my 'a' and higher level teammates allows me to improve and work for the team without the monkey on my shoulder waiting to brain me with a cue butt every time I mess up. If you have teammates that don't measure up to what the core members need, help them be better players by getting them to teams that will fill their needs without dampening yours. If that's to callous for some of you reading this, my perspective is from a team that tries to run in a highly competitive configuration in a league that is great about getting people onto teams that let them play their style of pool. If you want there's a social team, a drinking team, a playing team, a vegas team, a non-traveling team, handicapped, non-handicapped, olds, youngs, males, females, and anywhere in between. League play by it's nature is a social mechanism, and great competition is very possible when put into the proper focus. People grow in different ways. My relationship with my team is like many other relationships in life; we grow together so that we don't grow apart. We work strategy, talk training, spar on the side, and respect each other's space.

Good luck in your efforts to make peace with your competitive drive!

Have fun (dammit!)!

Carl