PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for League Night

Bassn7
11-23-2005, 04:43 PM
After more than 20 years of league nights, I still prepare for the "battle" with excitement. Clean the cue shaft, shape the tip and Pledge by butt. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I put on new sox, clean the shoes and always wear a collared shirt, freshly ironed and double starched. Unless the opponent shoots like God, the match is over before it begins. Class and image go a long way. Anyone else prepare in any special ways? Ideas? (Also, 25 hours of practice each week for 1/2 hour of match time.)

Cane
11-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Bassn7, Yeah, I think we all have pre-tournament, pre-match or pre-league rituals. I do mine even if I'm just going to the pool room to look for a little light action.

I have a particular pair of shoes that I wear to play pool. I clean them up, get them ready, sit them by the door. I then go into the pool room and shoot 50 or 60 straight in stop shots, then before I leave, I take an old blue cotton shop towel that I keep in my case and wipe down my cues, clean all the chalk off the tips, wipe off the outside of my case, then I put on my favorite shoes and hit the road. I think all players have some kind of pre-match ritual, whether they realize it or not. It's kind of like an "I'm going into combat" switch... and it works...

I don't have particular clothes or styles of clothes that I wear, but I always try to go looking neat and presentable (many look pretty ragged out at the pool room). That "class" edge will sometimes get you a little mileage on the table.

Later,
Bob

supergreenman
11-25-2005, 03:37 PM
League nights I get home from work and shut off for as long as I can with out being late. I usually grab a book and read in the tub, clean my cues then perhaps if I have time trounce someone in on-line pool on pogo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif then I'm ready to go.

James

wolfdancer
11-26-2005, 08:52 PM
I thought these were the height of fashion, in Oklahoma?
http://dickiesonsale.com/k8394nb.jpg
That, and maybe a Pendleton shirt.....and of course, yer
"sunday, go to meeting" shoes. lol

Sid_Vicious
11-26-2005, 10:22 PM
An instructor in college once said to me and the class the day before a mid term, "Ok you have prepared, now don't cram tonight, go out get drunk and "be somebody", get laid, lay someone's wife, leave the mind to rest concerning tomorrow." I follow no ritual, except for getting to the event with a happy mind, and hopefully a satisified hormonal balance...sid

Cane
11-27-2005, 01:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I thought these were the height of fashion, in Oklahoma?
http://dickiesonsale.com/k8394nb.jpg
That, and maybe a Pendleton shirt.....and of course, yer
"sunday, go to meeting" shoes. lol <hr /></blockquote>

WD, Hey, that's my outfit for NICE tournaments in Oklahoma! Of course, I wear a black pocket tee shirt with the pin striped overalls to the nicer tourneys, and no tee shirt at all under the blue overalls to the local tournaments! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,

Hillbilly Bob

Cornerman
11-27-2005, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bassn7:</font><hr> After more than 20 years of league nights, ... Anyone else prepare in any special ways? <hr /></blockquote>

For league nights? No. I pack up my crap, go to the bar, and have a few beers before and during play. That's how I prepare. League night is a night out, and the more I think of it in that manner, the better the night can be.

For tournaments, that's a whole different ball game. I absolutely make sure I have the right shoes, the right pants (or shorts), the right shirt, etc. I want to feel as comfortable as I can. No boots, no shirts with a sleeve that lands right over the elbow, no tight T-shirt, no overly loose shirts. I have to wear a shirt that I can get to my pocket chalk. No hats. And the cues have to be clean and smmooooooooth.

But league nights? Uh uh.

Fred

Billy_Bob
11-27-2005, 08:31 AM
Something interesting... When going to tournaments, I find that I do better if I drive by myself to the tournament.

If I go with someone who talks a lot on the way, I don't do as good. If I go with a real blabber mouth, I don't do good at all. (Of course there are exceptions.)

So I think when I drive by myself, I am "relaxing" and arrive at the tournament in a more calm and relaxed state. It takes me 20 minutes to get to the closest tournament, so that is at least 20 minutes of relaxing.

The exact opposite of this is being in a hurry, have a lot of things to do up to the last second before leaving for the tournament, had a bad stressful day, then having to rush to the tournament to get there in time, get there just in time, then have to play the first game right away without having a chance to sit down and relax a little. I do terrible in these situations.

cheesemouse
11-27-2005, 09:14 AM
League night I am always late due to work schedule and I have to play my games one after another and with a four man format this means most of my games determine the round point, I come in cold and just let'er go...with no warm up what so ever...
Touneys I normally know about weeks in advance and prepare well at home but lay down the stick atleast two days before the event and just trust the preparation to take over when the bell rings on the first 't' match...I used to play in lots of tourney's but now if I can get to three or four a year I'm lucky. I have more fun playing now than I used to because I don't have to cash to pay the bills...