PDA

View Full Version : I hit WAY to hard

dazednconfused
11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Some people say I hit the cue ball like it owes me money and I'm trying to change that. I dont really have a sense of how hard or soft I'm hitting it. Would a wood to wood joint change anything? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Any suggestions like always very much appreciated.

killerstroke
11-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Use this as a guide.
SLOW: Shoting the CB from end rail to end rail
MEDIUM: Shoting the CB from end rail to end rail and back to the starting end rail
HARD: Shoting the CB from the end rail, up and down twice

Bob_Jewett
11-23-2005, 07:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dazednconfused:</font><hr> Some people say I hit the cue ball like it owes me money and I'm trying to change that. I dont really have a sense of how hard or soft I'm hitting it. Would a wood to wood joint change anything? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Any suggestions like always very much appreciated. <hr /></blockquote>
Don't let the object ball hit the back of the pocket. Just roll it over the edge.

The kind of joint doesn't change anything.

When you start to play position more, the speed problem will mostly take care of itself.

mybreak
11-24-2005, 04:58 AM
A wood to wood joint will do nothing for you or how hard you hit it. However, have a cuemaker/repairman replace your ferrule with a spring, like in a ball point pen, to act as a shock absorber and then retip it with cotton or an old wooly winter sock that you've been ready to discard.
It should work like a charm. Hope that helps....

wolfdancer
11-24-2005, 12:53 PM
As the story goes...the guy says "Doc, it hurts when I do this"...and the Doc says "don't do that".
I think most of us amateurs hit way too hard...Bob had a pretty good suggestion.
Just think "pocket speed"
I see players overhit the ball trying to get some "action"...but end up with a stun shot. Hit the ball too hard, and it'll be sliding, but for most shots, you'll want a "rolling stone"....or maybe a Rolling Rock...maybe both

Jal
11-24-2005, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dazednconfused:</font><hr> Some people say I hit the cue ball like it owes me money and I'm trying to change that....<hr /></blockquote>
Straight pool is good way to acquire the habit of a softer stroke. The short positioning pretty much demands it.

I like to think of my grip hand as merely providing companionship for the rear of the cue, offering a suggestion now and then as to what direction it should take. (Okay, maybe I'm a little strange.)

Jim

Billy_Bob
11-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Practice shooting a ball so it rolls up to the pocket, but does not drop.

Then throw all 15 balls on the table at random, and do the same with each shot. You will learn how gently you can hit a ball to just make the pocket.

This comes in handy if you don't want the cue ball flying all over the place after your shot...

Scott Lee
11-25-2005, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> for most shots, you'll want a "rolling stone"....or maybe a Rolling Rock...maybe both <hr /></blockquote>

Jack...That would only be true if you were playing topspin.
For draw shots, or tangent line shots, the CB would be sliding into contact with the OB. I wouldn't say MOST shots are played with topspin...although many are.

Scott

wolfdancer
11-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Scott, your right, of course...as usual, damn....
When I wrote that, i was thinking about the players I see trying to make the cueball follow....they hit it so hard, it becomes a stun shot...so next time, they hit it harder...been there, done that.
In fact, it was you what told me, I hit the ball too hard.
I paid all that $$....just to get more critism, when I already get plenty from my friends.
well, it helps keep you off the "dole"
Do you know if there are any copies of Jack white's book, still available for sale?
And are you still trying to give away copies of your book?
lol
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott Lee
11-25-2005, 01:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Scott, your right, of course...as usual, damn....
When I wrote that, i was thinking about the players I see trying to make the cueball follow....they hit it so hard, it becomes a stun shot...so next time, they hit it harder...been there, done that.
In fact, it was you what told me, I hit the ball too hard.
I paid all that $$....just to get more critism, when I already get plenty from my friends.
well, it helps keep you off the "dole"
Do you know if there are any copies of Jack white's book, still available for sale?
And are you still trying to give away copies of your book?
lol
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Jack...Copies of Jack White's book, "Let Us To Billiards Away", are hard to come by. Occasionally I've seen one on eBay. My own book, "Natural Pool" is even rarer, at $1000 a copy! LOL Apparently you and I have nothing better to do today, than sit at the computer, huh? LMAO

Scott

Cane
11-25-2005, 02:14 PM
When I was young, the older gent that taught me what little I knew about pool told me once that I hit the ball too hard... That ONCE started when I was 8 years old and he didn't quit harping on it until I was 14 or 15 years old when he died. Although, I've heard it in my nightmares a thousand times "Boy, you could have pocketed that shot in the next county!".

I think a few months ago, someone on here quoted Bert Kinister as saying "I don't care who you are, you hit the ball too hard". A lot of truth in that. I tend to look for the shortest route to position for my next shot and strive to hit no harder than what it takes to get to that position, and usually that isn't very hard. I mean, think about it. A lag stroke travels 16 feet! How far do you have to move a cue ball to get on the next ball on a 4 1/2 X 9' pool table??? Of course, hitting an object ball takes some of the travel out of the cue ball, BUT, if I have to go more than 3 rails for position back to the same end of the table, which I can do with a stroke speed (3 speed, medium speed, whatever you want to call it), then I'm playing bad position. Unfortunately, I put myself in that position more than I'd like to... like Bert said "I don't care who you are, you hit the ball too hard".

Later,
Bob

wolfdancer
11-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Scott, i just did a search for out-of-print books, and
Jack's is available for $134....now, it was good....but maybe not that good. Can't believe I gave my copy away.....
Also found out from that search.....that a 1981 romance book, that sold for $2.50.....can be had for $2,999
It's by Lynne Cheney

Now, is this slightly off of the original thread, or what? Sisters (http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0811-07.htm)

Bob_Jewett
11-27-2005, 10:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> ... quoted Bert Kinister as saying "I don't care who you are, you hit the ball too hard". A lot of truth in that. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Except for the fact that it was George Fels' line before it was Bert's.

Cane
11-28-2005, 03:57 AM
Thanks, Bob. I wasn't sure who said it, but remembered someone quoting Bert as saying it. Still, I think I've heard it paraphrased from most of the well known instructors off all time, whether it was the 'I don't care who you are' line or 'could make it in the next county' line, The concept holds water. Most people hit the ball way too hard.

Later,
Bob

Fran Crimi
11-28-2005, 06:45 AM
I tell my students to imagine there's no pockets or rails and the slate goes on to infinity. How far do they think the object would ball roll? Most of them say "Several blocks." LOL

Fran

Qtec
11-28-2005, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think a few months ago, someone on here quoted Bert Kinister as saying "I don't care who you are, you hit the ball too hard". <hr /></blockquote>

John Parrot used to hit the ball harder when he was playing well. He would have a straight shot and stun it thru 2cm's hitting the ball with a solid follow-thru.
He was able to do this because he was hitting the QB exactly where he wanted to.
Hitting the ball hard, but not too hard can be a positive thing.

Q

Cane
11-28-2005, 07:44 AM
Q, I play different speed for different games... lets use a scale here... 1 being a lag stroke and 3 being a lag stroke plus a half a table's length.

When I play 9-Ball, I probably hit more 3 speed shots than any other. When I play 8-Ball, I cut my speed down and am usually hitting between 1 and 2 speed. When I play straight pool, most of my shots are going to be 1 speed, or lower. When I play one pocket, well, I don't worry about stroke speed, because I usually end up sitting down to watch Caedos (Carl Oswald) tear me up... damn, I have to learn some one pocket strategy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Bob

Qtec
11-28-2005, 07:56 AM
Pocket speed hardly ever comes into to play in snooker. Its either in or it isnt. You cant rely on the ball slopping into the pocket because it hardly ever happens.
Playing pocket speed , in certain situations, could be the wrong shot.
It can be a matter of confidence or a lack of it. ie are you playing positively?

Q

Bob_Jewett
11-28-2005, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I tell my students to imagine there's no pockets or rails and the slate goes on to infinity. How far do they think the object would ball roll? Most of them say "Several blocks." LOL

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

On a medium-speed infinite table, a ball struck hard would travel about 100 yards (the length of a football field). On fast cloth, and at break-shot speed, the cue ball would travel about half a mile, neglecting wind resistance.

Scott Lee
11-28-2005, 10:32 AM
Bob...Our mother drill for speed is an excellent reference for the CB. I add another for shooting balls into a pocket, using 1, 3, 5 &amp; 9-speeds. However, this one is audible, and requires the student to LISTEN to the OB going into the pocket. On a lag (1-speed), as mentioned, the OB drops off the end of the pocket. It does NOT hit the back of the pocket. A 3-speed shot will slightly graze the back of the pocket. A 5-speed will hit the back of the pocket, but not hard...and a 9-speed shot will smack the back of the pocket. Amazing what we can tell from listening, as well as seeing and feeling! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif In the final 8 matches (all semipro or pro players) of a big tournament here in MT this weekend, I think I saw perhaps 3 or 4 shots played at 9-speed. Most were 3-5, and MANY were 1-speed. Amazing what tremedous action you can get with a 3-speed swing, connected to a beautiful stroke! LOL

Scott

dazednconfused
11-28-2005, 05:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> It can be a matter of confidence or a lack of it. ie are you playing positively? <hr /></blockquote>

What do you mean? Playing positivley. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

caedos
11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
One who plays positively almost never sees a 'scratch shot', but instead sees the alternate and never contemplates the scratch once a good path is found. The same goes for speed control or pocketing; visualize and seek successful results and use positive language in your head when you talk to yourself or puzzle over things... and especially when you are in play!

Carl

Scott Lee
11-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Carl...I agree with you 100$. Thinking positively also refers to "seeing" natural scratch shots, and making adjustments so that they won't happen, or choosing a different path, thus avoiding the problem.

Scott