PDA

View Full Version : Slip stroke ala Mosconi

Misel
06-26-2002, 04:33 AM
Hello everybody,
I would like to learn to use a slip stroke just to see how it works.Do you have any suggestions for getting the best results,maybe a certain way of gripping the cue or something.I appreciate all comments.Thanks,
Misel

07-03-2002, 10:34 AM
Since nobody else has responded to your request, Misel, I will. In the first place, Mosconi didn't slip very much, only a few inches. Secondly and perhaps more important, nobody thinks a slip-stroke is something you should force yourself to do. If it comes naturally, fine; otherwise, dwelling on your stroke production and not on pocketing the ball is going to lead to tears. Count on it. GF

Cueless Joey
07-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Our tournament director does it. He adores Mosconi and he patterned his game after him. Including his stroke.
In his practice strokes, he holds the cue almost in the middle of the wrap. In his LAST stroke, he pauses the tip near the cb, then he slips his grip hand back a few inches. Pulls the cue, shoots. He also lets the cue go but he says that is not why it's called a "slip" stroke. His high run is around 200+ balls.

Rod
07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Hi George,
It's good to see a post from you. I always enjoy your style of writing. Although I use this type of stroke, it's better left alone for the reasons you mentioned. BTW even just a few inches as I do also, would seem like a foot to someone who has never tried such a stroke. Their rhythm and timing would go kaput!

Voodoo Daddy
07-03-2002, 06:02 PM
Slip stroke, hmmmmm. One name that comes to mind that has the slip stroke "down" and that is still alive is Johnny Ervolino. When done properly its a work of art, though I wouldnt promote anyone using it. Its like Scotch...its an aquired tatse...

Voodoo

cheesemouse
07-03-2002, 06:23 PM
Voodoo,
Do you remember the "Ledgends of Pool" on ESPN in the late 70's? I think the guys name was Cowboy Jimmy Moore; he had a slip stroke delux. It was something to see. I can't do it even in practice just for fun. Unless it is a natural move you can do w/o thinking in my opion it is not a good pool tool.

Voodoo Daddy
07-03-2002, 06:34 PM
Jimmy Moore? With the Flat-top haircut, Bolo tie and the hat to go with it...hell yes I remember him. Smooth slip stroke too, good call cheese!

Voodoo