PDA

View Full Version : pool table spot

kardkid
11-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Im new to pool and when I got my pool table installed they forgot to put a spot on the table. They sent me one in the mail. How do I put it on the table so that it will stick and not come off? Where do you put it at? The front of the spot even with the diamonds? Jim

wolfdancer
11-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Jim, get you a 10 penny nail, an....
just kiddding....the back peels of the spot, and press it down good...I even roll a glass over it.
spots are cheap...at your local billiards supply place.
Center it on a straight line even with the diamonds.
Hope that you bought a good table....find a good instructor, and you'll get your money's worth, from the enjoyment of playing,practicing,improving.
It's been my best recreational purchase....along with my "two-Ball" putter....

Scott Lee
11-24-2005, 04:08 PM
There is a place where the long string (the imaginary line running down the center of the table) crosses the foot string (the imaginary line, two diamonds up from the racking end of the table). Place the CENTER of the spot on this area. Usually the spots have glue on the back...just wet the back of the spot with a sponge, and press it on with your fingers. Then roll a ball around over the spot (put pressure on the ball). If you have a difficult time finding the exact area to place the spot, tape thread over the center of the diamonds, and run strings across the length and width of the table. Take a pen and mark the exact place where the threads cross. Then put the center of the spot over it.

Scott Lee

kardkid
11-24-2005, 04:33 PM
I dont know if I got a good table or not being that this is my first. I bought an olhausen 9 footer. It seems to play pretty good. fast bumpers.

wolfdancer
11-24-2005, 05:45 PM
It should play ok for you......some of the Chinese imports, seem to have cut a few corners, and some mechanics won't work on them.
I think mine has paid for itself...if I add up what it would have cost to go to a pool room, or a bar, and the extra $$ I've picked up in tournaments, from playing a little better....and sometimes just going down and hitting some balls, is relaxing....you can't put a price on that.
Keep your table clean, and covered.....don't use a rotating brush to vacuum.......and
If you want to practice jump shots and masse's....put a spare piece of "felt" under the ball...and don't let your friends practice those shots

FastJoey
11-24-2005, 05:55 PM
if it's an Olhausen u got a good table...what model did u get ?

SPetty
11-24-2005, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr>Keep your table clean, and covered.....<hr /></blockquote>Or... don't cover your table. I know that people who leave their table covered often don't take the time to uncover it just to shoot a rack, whereas folks who keep their table uncovered will shoot a rack off every time they walk by the table because it's so easy.

Keep the cats off the table, though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

kardkid
11-24-2005, 08:30 PM
I got the remington. It is solid mahogany with 1" slate. Jim

vonn31
11-25-2005, 03:19 AM
I just use a sharpie and make a small + mark. I also make very small dots on the table to practice certain shots like the ones below. I shoot the first one with a 3rd eye stroke trainer a lot.
START(%ML7I7%Po2Y1)END
or:
START(%MT1M3%Pj3G9%Um9Z2%VV0D4%WE1D8%XR9L6%YH6Z7%Z S5N4%[D4W7%\G5Z4%]U1D9%^D4V4%eC7a2)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html