PDA

View Full Version : Floating cushions?

globalup
11-26-2005, 09:50 PM
I recently heard someone mention that the Accu-fast cushions float in water. Does this really mean anything? It seems like a gimmic to me. I was told the Artemis cushions don't float (and I've heard the Artemis are better cushions than Accu-fast). Why is it that the Accu-fast cushions float??

Billy_Bob
11-26-2005, 10:15 PM
They may have made them for the following?

STable Billiard - The world's only seaworthy pool table!
http://www.stable.no/billiard.html

TennesseeJoe
11-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Higher grade cushions have a lighter specific gravity and will float on water. Substandard cushions are made with inferior products (such as adding clay and reducing rubber). This gives them a heavier specific gravity and they will not float. The substandard rails deteriorate quicker and even in the beginning do not have great resiliency.

onepocketchump
11-27-2005, 12:23 PM
100% gum rubber cushions have buoyancy and they float while cushions with fillers don't have enough buoyancy to float. Some believe that the floating cushions are better and last longer. Who knows? Olhausen started marketing this difference several years ago to "prove" that their Accu-Fast Cushions were better than cushions that don't float. As a player I am concerned about the rebound and whether a cushion reacts normally or not. In over 20 years of playing pool I have never once experienced bad rebounding being attributed to cushions that don't float. I don't know if Artemis cushions float or not. Personally, I can't tell much difference in the ones that float and the ones that don't in the way they look and feel.

John