PDA

View Full Version : Heaven !!!

wolfdancer
11-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Damn close to it....................almost
If you can handle the $350 green fees, the 6 hr rounds,
and the 1/2 dozen Nike Platinum golf balls, at $40 per dozen, you'll probably lose.
I last played when it was $125.....before Dirty Harry bought it...even before the Japanese bought it.

web page (http://www.caddybytes.com/virtualtours/Pebble/index.html)

and here's a pix of one of the most famous holes in golf, the 16th at Cypress...where Bing Crosby had a hole in one
http://www.caddybytes.com/Pebble04_025a.jpg
220 yds into the wind, over the Monterey bay

and my favorite hole:Reno,Nv...231 yds. from the "Tiger" tees.
http://www.lakeridgegolf.com/rev/images/photo_home.jpg

nAz
11-27-2005, 05:50 PM
I once played 9 holes at wingfoot in westchester county. nothing to what you got there though but still the course and club house were great.

wolfdancer
11-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Wingfoot, Pebble, Augusta....they all have their charm.
There's a lesser known course near Santa Cruz, Ca
wonderful course, and inside the clubhouse are pictures
of the golf legends that were there when it opened
web page (http://www.pasatiempo.com/web/)
The good doctor also began the design on a muni course, just south of San Francisco...Sharp Park....tried to make it a "links" course. It was completed by the first female golf architect, in California.
That was the last course I played, before I moved up here...and it was a memorable round. the starter asked if i minded playing with kids, and I said I didn't. He put me out with a 9 and a 12 yr old......
After a few holes they were hungry...so i gave them my power bars.....then they got thirsty, and I jst happened to have two bottles of water. About the 6th hole the younger one's shoulder was bothering him, so I ended up carrying his bag.
They got my snacks, my drinks, and I ended up as a GD caddy
and enjoyed it.Fortunately, they quit after nine....once played there, a muni course, with the guy that invented Hotmail, and sold it to BG.
I'm inventing Hootermail...could be a big success

Fran Crimi
11-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Sure...rub it in, now that we're about to start freezing our booties off here in the northeast.

I heard a rumor they were going to let women into Augusta.

Fran

wolfdancer
11-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Women ??? in Augusta ???
Well, why not...took 'em years to get past from Cliff Roberts
"As long as Iím alive, golfers will be white, and caddies will be black" and why they have resisted this long on allowing women.....
The course, as set up for tournament play though, may be too long for the ladies...
And while it doesn't snow here......it's the monsoon season...if it ain't raining, it's getting ready to rain.

Chopstick
11-28-2005, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>
I heard a rumor they were going to let women into Augusta.
<hr /></blockquote>

A couple of femi-nazis tried to start some crap with the club a couple years ago. The richest man in the world, Bill Gates, had to wait twenty years for a membership. These two idiots thought they were owed one just because they were women. Well, guess what, not happening. Augusta is a privaye club and nobody has any business telling them how to run it.

Fran Crimi
11-28-2005, 06:33 AM
I wuz just kiddin' guys. They're not letting women in, at least not until that guy dies...what's his name...Hootie and the Blowhard or something like that.

Besides, I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.

Fran~~~ Do you think OJ applied? He's white, isn't he?

Qtec
11-28-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Besides, I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me as a member.

<hr /></blockquote> Groucho Marx

Plagerist! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"A Sanity Cause ? Everybody knows there aint no Sanity Cause". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love those guys.

Q

Fran Crimi
11-28-2005, 07:25 AM
LOL! Caught in the act.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.

Fran~~~ Oops.. did it again.

Qtec
11-28-2005, 07:43 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Q

Fran Crimi
11-28-2005, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> The course, as set up for tournament play though, may be too long for the ladies...
<hr /></blockquote>

Where have you been, Wolfie? Don't you know that it's the amateur men who hold the courses up and not the women? It's the men who are always trying to muscle the ball while the rest of us have to wait while they shoot from the next fairway. The women just go nice and easy straight down the middle....Well, except for me. I'm into the muscling thing. LOL

Fran

wolfdancer
11-28-2005, 09:12 AM
"Well, except for me. I'm into the muscling thing"

Since we're into the quote mode:

" Loosen your girdle and let 'er fly! "
Babe Didrikson Zaharias
Also by the Babe
"It s not just enough to swing at the ball. You've got to loosen your girdle and really let the ball have it.
And, on one of her "off" days

"I couldn't hit an elephant's ass with a bull fiddle."

If she were alive today, had one of them 450cc clubheads, with the spring effect face, and a graphite shaft....She might have to spot Tiger a stroke, or two. At least she'd make him work for the $$ Besides that Red shirt he wears on sunday....he might need some red pants to go with it.
Did you see where Fred funk lost a "bet" to Annika?
Got outdrove by her one hole....and had to play the next one wearing a skirt (over his trousers)

Fran Crimi
11-28-2005, 09:31 AM
HA! I didn't hear about the bet. That must have been really funny all around.

Babe was my hero. I liked the one where she marched into the clubhouse before a tournament and said to everyone, "So, who's coming in second today?"

Fran

wolfdancer
11-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I rememebr that one, now that you mentioned it.
there's this neat story where Grantland Rice, went out to a tournament to do a story on Babe. the crowds were so huge, he couldn't get close enough to see her swing....but wrote the sound of her hitting the ball was unmistakeably different from
the other competitors. He also wrote:
"She is beyond all belief until you see her perform," famed sportswriter Grantland Rice wrote. "Then you finally understand that you are looking at the most flawless section of muscle harmony, of complete mental and physical coordination, the world of sport has ever seen."
I think her greatest acheivement was...one year after receiving the news that she had inoperable cancer, she won her third U.S.Woman's Open....by 12 strokes

Chopstick
11-29-2005, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I wuz just kiddin' guys. They're not letting women in, at least not until that guy dies...what's his name...Hootie and the Blowhard or something like that.

Fran~~~ Do you think OJ applied? He's white, isn't he? <hr /></blockquote>

Actually the rule is you have to have a member to be one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Babe Zaharias built a course in Tampa, FL. We used to play it all the time. It was a fun course. A bunch of exotic parrots escaped from Busch Gardens and came to live on the course. They have been there for years. They all built nests around this one street. The first time I played there I was lining up my approach shot when this little green bird with three foot long tail feathers flew right in front of me. Hey, whatzatthing???

Next hole Sailfish Vinnie runs into the street with his driver and beats it on the street until he smashes it to pieces. Yep, many fond memories at "The Babe". /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif