PDA

View Full Version : 8' Table recommendations for sub $2000 price point

PeteW
11-27-2005, 05:03 PM
I live near Minneapolis MN.

I am putting an 8' in my basement and have looked at dealers that carry Golden West, Brunswick, C.L. Bailey, and Olhausen.

Of these I am leaning towards the Golden West that I can get for $1900. Are there any other tables I should look at? And, more importantly, should I stay away from Golden West?

Thank you. I tried searching but couldn't come up with the right combination of search terms.

-Pete

Brad
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Golden West makes a decent table. But as is always mentioned during these types of discussions, the dealer you buy it from is as important as the table manufacturer. And, in Minneapolis you have perhaps the best pool table dealer in the country. That's "Peter's Billiards". I would put them into the top three dealers in the country.

I'm not sure if they sell Golden West or not. But, they are an Olhausen and Brunswick dealer.

PeteW
11-27-2005, 08:44 PM
I talked to a guy at "Peter's Billiards" and he said the only table in my price range was the very lowest Brunswick table that looked to have laminate everything and too many big metal brackets for my taste.
The owner of "Doc's Bohemian Cues" (an Olhausen dealer) badmouthed GW and cheap Brunswick tables. He said he might be able to swing an Olhausen for really close to my price range.
The other place I looked at closely was "Gameroom Gallery" carries C.L. Bailey and Golden West. They really hyped Golden West tables when I was there and the construction looked really good to my eyes.

So many sales pitches and so few answers on the showroom floors.
Does anyone have names or numbers for some reputable billiard mechanics in my area? Maybe I can track down a decent used table or some straight answers through that channel.

Great forum here, hopefully I will learn enough to contribute some day /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

UTAddb
11-27-2005, 08:56 PM
I think Connelly tables are the best bang for the buck. I have one that I bought for $1600 new and it's great. If not that, you can find plenty of used tables for under $2K.

Scott Lee
11-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Ohlhausen are good tables, as are C.L. Bailey. Golden West are okay, but not as good as the other two. I agree with Doc about G.W. and the lower Brunswicks. C.L. Bailey is a solid table, made in the U.S. Regardless of brand purchased, be sure professional installation is part of the deal, and get in writing that they will come back out a month later (at n/c), if problems crop up. Usually any installation quirks will show up in that amount of time, if you play much on the table.

Scott Lee