PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pool table

eg8r
11-28-2005, 06:18 AM
I got an email from BCn and it had a link to Chalk-Off, the Complete Pool Table Cleaner. Will this work very well getting cat hair off a pool table?

Also, do you have any suggestions on removing cat hair from the bottom of a leather table cover. The top of the cover is leather, but the bottom (the part that sits on the table) is a material of some sort that seems to attract the cat and its hair.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
11-28-2005, 06:40 AM
How about one of those sticky roller things that take lint off your clothing? I don't think the sticky stuff comes off. It shouldn't affect the table.

Fran

Rich R.
11-28-2005, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I got an email from BCn and it had a link to Chalk-Off, the Complete Pool Table Cleaner. Will this work very well getting cat hair off a pool table?

Also, do you have any suggestions on removing cat hair from the bottom of a leather table cover. The top of the cover is leather, but the bottom (the part that sits on the table) is a material of some sort that seems to attract the cat and its hair.

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>It may be obvious, but the easiest thing would be to get rid of the cat. JMHO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob_Jewett
11-28-2005, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>... the Complete Pool Table Cleaner. Will this work very well getting cat hair off a pool table?
... <hr /></blockquote>
If regular vacuuming doesn't get it, I'd try the sticky roller Fran suggested. Have you considered shaving the cat? Leave the whiskers on, which are necessary for navigation.

Scott Lee
11-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Ed...I immediately had the same thought as Fran. Those rollers work wonders on sweaters, sportcoats, etc. No residue, as long as they're not hot when you use them...and the layers peel off easily, so you could do your table and the underside of the cover too!

Scott

eg8r
11-28-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It may be obvious, but the easiest thing would be to get rid of the cat. JMHO. <hr /></blockquote> While I agree with your idea to get rid of the cat, it is not quite so obvious to me how that would remove the cat hair that is already on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r

eg8r
11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have you considered shaving the cat? Leave the whiskers on, which are necessary for navigation. <hr /></blockquote> Now there is a suggestion that might work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Actually the table is my father-in-law's table and it is at his house. I don't believe they will let me take matters into my own hands and shave the cat. Otherwise, I would just get rid of their cats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

eg8r
11-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks everyone. Scott and Fran, I will try that out the next time I am over at their house.

eg8r

Rich R.
11-29-2005, 03:57 AM
[quote Rich R.] It may be obvious, but the easiest thing would be to get rid of the cat. JMHO. <hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> While I agree with your idea to get rid of the cat, it is not quite so obvious to me how that would remove the cat hair that is already on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Others have given good options for removing the current hair.
My option would stop the problem from recurring. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RUNaRAK
11-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I have the same problem only X2. My wife has 2 cats and as much as it would pain me to see them gone /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I believe they will be around for a while.
Quick clean does not get rid of the cat hair. The cats love to sit on the underside of my cover while I am playing so that is a problem for me too. I will try the sticky roller thing for the hair removal also even though I really like Rich's idea.

Peace, Joe

Eric.
11-29-2005, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I got an email from BCn and it had a link to Chalk-Off, the Complete Pool Table Cleaner. Will this work very well getting cat hair off a pool table?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

MAybe you should shoot the cat.

Eric &gt;just a thought

MacGyver
11-29-2005, 04:45 PM
I thought chalk off was a complete rip of Quick Clean and they were just stealing his product and putting a new label on.

Did that turn out not to be true or something??

Steve - Detroit
11-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Someone on here in the past suggested using the household vacuum with the hose connection (if you have one) and the upholstery brush to clean a table. Itís now the only way I clean my Simonis 760 and weíve got 2 cats and a dog that seem to shed 12 months a year. Itís draw is not as powerful as a shop vac so it never pulls on the cloth and the bristles are no more coarse than a traditional table brush. Just brush the table as you would with any other brush. Granted its only about a 3Ē or 4Ē path at a time but it gets the table looking new and picks up any chalk, talc, dust or hair.

I will definitely add Franís suggestion of a lint roller to my arsenal, thanks Fran.

GregN
11-30-2005, 07:40 AM
Fabric softener sheets that eliminate "static cling" work very well for getting cat hair off of furniture. It should work fine for both the table and the vinyl cover backing. Just rub the sheet on the cloth and the hair is easily removed. This might leave the cloth soft and flowery scented, but I would think it would be a great improvement over cat hair.

However, it might completely ruin those trick shots discussed last week that depend static electricity /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

caedos
11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Duct tape, anyone? Lint rollers are good, but why bring a mortar when you can have a 16-inch gun brought to bear on the problem? I have at one time had two cats that shed heavily, and duct tape is stronger and cheaper per yard. One of them got old and died, and when the other goes in the next few years I will be catless for a long time. Tired of cleanup, and I'm allergic.

c

Eric.
11-30-2005, 10:08 AM
I dunno. Sometimes competing products are almost the same but with the exception of 1 or 2 changes. This makes it a "different" product.

Patent law would be a question for TD873.

Eric

bluey2king
11-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Chalk-Off does work well. It uses static to clean. I think a static spray would work on your cover to keep the fur off.

mworkman
11-30-2005, 11:50 AM
I feel your pain. We have 2 cats. I can't stand them. Always hacking up on the carpet. Hair gets everywhere. They are 9 years old. I hear they live to be close to 20. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif They cause a lot of stress in my life, but my wife wont let me get rid of them. I'm ussually the one that gets stuck with all the clean up /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif Ive actually considerd poison, but hiding that secret would weigh heavy on my conscience. I guess I'm just stuck for another 10 years or so. Just thinking about it is getting me all upset. We have a large lot in the country, but the cats are declawed and probably would die if I threw them out.
Getting on subject tho', I have a powerfull small vacuum with soft bristles which gets most but not all of the hair off the table. I make sure it's covered whenever Im not using it.

DickLeonard
12-01-2005, 06:41 AM
RichR, I saw a home video by the owner, he thought someone was breaking into his house. When left alone the cat got up on the kitchen table walked all over it etc. I guess cats love climbing up on tables why not the pool table. Cats are good for one thing eliminating rodents. They are best as outdoor pets.####

catscradle
12-01-2005, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> I thought chalk off was a complete rip of Quick Clean and they were just stealing his product and putting a new label on.

Did that turn out not to be true or something?? <hr /></blockquote>

I believe there is a civil court case in process.

Atl_Buckeye
12-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I just got my table about 2 month or so ago. I got a black table with black felt(my wife's choice)!!! Needless to say dust and lint are a regular concern. I have been using a regular lint roller which works well, but if your aren't careful you will burn your knuckles on the felt!!! Well, yesterday at Target I found a 10' lint roller situated the way a paint roller is!!! $5.99 at Target...well worth it!! On the other hand...shooting the cat doesn't sound to bad either /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tdurden87
12-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I just recently used Quick Clean and it seemed to work well but I guess the real problem is that I'm expecting my table to look perfect but there is always going to be hair and burn marks on it, no matter how long I clean it for.

Proteon
12-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I use a 3M toner vac designed for electronic equipment with the soft brush attachment. The bristles are very soft as not to affect the cloth and the suction is mediated through the bristles... I would be afraid to use any form of tape or chemically treated cloths

airyago
12-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I clean my tables with a "LINT PIC-UP Adhesive Roller".
Mod.# COV574. I mounted it on a 4" paint roller. Works.
See www.evercare.com (http://www.evercare.com) or call'em at 1-800-435-6223.
The roller at Target ($5.99) sounds very similar.
Visit me at www.bullseyebilliards.biz (http://www.bullseyebilliards.biz) .
'ere-ya-go