PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever heard of DLT Billiards

LOUMFSG
11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
I am looking at buying a new pool table, for home use. I plan on taking good care of the table, and I am hoping to find a durable, well-built table that will play well for years. I found a local distributor that deals tables built by a company called DLT Billiards. I have never heard of them, but I have seen their tables, and they seem to be a great deal - about $1200 for a sold-maple 8' table + accessory package (plus $275 for in-home delivery/set-up). The tables have a great finish, I found a style I like, and in reading about the construction process on their website, it seems that their tables are well made (all solid woods, no veneers, 1" slate, etc.) The table weighs about 850 lbs., which seems pretty solid.

Does anyone know anything about DLT Billiards? Are their tables known for durability? Is there a web-site somewhere that ranks billiards manufacturers for quality?

Here is their web-site:

http://www.dltbilliards.com/pooltables.php?category=solidwood&table=balboa

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cueless Joey
11-28-2005, 07:53 PM
For that price, they must be Chinese imported tables.
They are known to warp and sag after only a few months.
I'd spend a little more and get an Olhausen.

LOUMFSG
11-29-2005, 10:05 AM
According to their literature, their Solid Wood Series (which is what I am looking at) are American-made tables. Their Veneers Series are Chinese imports. I am looking at purchasing through a wholesaler, who recently began selling to individuals, purportedly at wholesale prices. I've been to the wholesaler's warehouse, and it is definitely a low-overhead operation, which is probably why they can afford to sell at low prices. The tables are solid maple wood, and have a very nice finish. They had a few set up to demo, and they played well. The balls rolled well, the cushions were lively. I too am a little leary, given the price. It would be great to hear from someone who has owned, or knows someone who has owned one of these tables to speak to durability.

Candyman
11-29-2005, 12:04 PM
I would be leary about this table. The slates on an 8 footer usually weigh about 600lbs. That only leaves about 250lbs for the frame. That sounds a bit on the flimsy side to me. A quality table will have a minimum on 1" thick slate and will have wooden framing bonded to the under-side. If it doesn't have the framing, I would think twice. You may even want a table mechanic to check it out if you know one. jm2c's

Rolokid
02-02-2006, 09:48 PM
I've been considering a table from probably the same wholesaler you visited. Like you, I'm pretty weary considering the price, but boy their descriptions sure seem up to spec. Did you end up purchasing one? If so, how do you like it so far?

Drop1
02-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I think these tables have one and a quarter inch slate. Did he have a table set up,because if I remember corretly you could pick your cloth,Simmons or Champion. I think from now on you will see top of the line products coming out of China,and nothing that is not a great price for what you get. They want the market,so they know they have to be better and lower.

Rolokid
02-04-2006, 02:19 PM
I called, and the person admitted that some of the tables were imported from China and some were made here in America. Can someone speak a little more about the Chinese imports? Why do they have a reputation of warping and sagging even if they are built of solid wood and have many of the same specs of the top of the line tables? I also read somewhere else to be careful about tables being sold out of warehouses. Again, if they have the solid construction, what exactly am I being careful of? Are they lying? Counterfeit? Can all the specs be validated?

Cueless Joey
02-04-2006, 04:26 PM
China has a humid climate.
The woods they use in their tables, if not properly aged and kilned, will warp here as soon as it is subjected to stress and dry weather conditions.