PDA

View Full Version : Old timer question

ChuckR
11-28-2005, 06:45 PM
I have been watching some of the classics on ESPN (Willie, Fats, UJ, Crane, Moore, Balsis) and was wondering if anyone knows who the white haired individual is that is present in all of the shows. I have never seen him shoot but he is usually setting close to the playing area. His hair is combed straight back and is about as white as Willie's. He looks like someone with a pool past. Thanks. ChuckR

Scott Lee
11-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Probably Luther Lassiter aka Wimpy!

Cotton_Seed
11-28-2005, 09:10 PM
I've been watching those "Legends of Pocket Billiards" reruns too. It's fun to see the old champions go at it. The 2nd tournament they held seems to be a better production, though. In the first one, the lights are shining right in the players' eyes and they miss a lot of shots that they usually wouldn't. Also, the table appears to roll to the left (if you are standing at the head of the table). The funniest part is listening to Alan Hopkins and Kim Prince try their best not to use the word "pool". Even Alan stumbled when he said "straight POOL". Maybe they were told to avoid that word at all cost, in favor of the more elegant sounding "billiards"?

ChuckR
11-30-2005, 06:14 AM
No, I know who Wimpy is and its not him. This guy is not playing in the tournament but is there throughout the taping of the event. I think he may have something to do with an organization or one of the magazines. He looks to be around the players age but I just can't place him. Thanks anyway.

Fran Crimi
11-30-2005, 08:25 AM
I haven't seen the shows lately but I bet the guy you're talking about is 'Smitty.' He was the father of long-ago pool pro Debbie Smith. He knew the game well and used to help out around the big events all the time...sort of an 'everything man.' He was a great help to players and tournament directors alike, and everyone loved him.

If you were playing a match, say, in a world championship event and you needed something, and you started looking around, as if trying to decide what to do, Smitty would suddenly appear...the man had radar. You'd tell him what you needed, and he'd run off and it would get taken care of. He was the greatest.

Fran

Snapshot9
11-30-2005, 11:46 AM
ChuckR ... Are you Chuck Raulston that just won that Pepsi
tournament there in St. Louis?

ChuckR
12-01-2005, 06:27 AM
I wish but nope. Sorry

ChuckR
12-01-2005, 06:31 AM
I bet Smitty is the guy. This guy is seated very close to the playing area. He usually has on a sports coat and a sweater, combs his hair back with a part in the middle. Sometimes it looks like he is making notes and other times just watching the play. Thanks Fran