PDA

View Full Version : Using the outside edge of the object ball to aim

HiPockets
11-30-2005, 10:22 AM
I have been playing for over 40 years and glasses have been my nemises. I have to take my glasses off the shoot pool. To many blind spots with glasses. Forget contacts. Too much astigmatism. I have been using the outside edge of the object ball imagaining a line from the edge to the pocket rather the center of the object ball. It is working for me. Anyone ever try this? Despertate but not giving up.

heater451
11-30-2005, 06:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HiPockets:</font><hr> . . .I have been using the outside edge of the object ball imagaining a line from the edge to the pocket rather the center of the object ball. . . . <hr /></blockquote>The described line wouldn't be parallel to the center-to-center line, but I think would be close enough. You would still have to pick the correct contact point. How are you doing that?

=========================

HiPockets
12-01-2005, 06:03 AM
I find that I hit the object ball a little fuller. This may be a funtion of my astigmatism and I also think that when you are behind the cue ball lining up the object ball that there is some distortion trying to line up the center of the object ball to the target. Think about it, you are using the center of the object ball and the front of the cue ball to make contact and aim for a pocket (neither of which you can see when you are down over a shot).

Jal
12-01-2005, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HiPockets:</font><hr>...I have been using the outside edge of the object ball imagaining a line from the edge to the pocket rather the center of the object ball. It is working for me. Anyone ever try this? ...<hr /></blockquote>I'm not sure how I aim but I think I use the edges of the balls as visual clues more than anything else. There are some advantages and some disadvantages to this. One obvious advantage is that the edges are well defined. The problems with this are more subtle and come into play when the cueball is not exactly the same size as the object ball. (This happens frequently where I play.)

I bring this up because it's not clear what you mean by "outside edge". If you mean the edge on the same side as you apply outside english, and use the outside edges of both balls for lining up a shot, this is the worst case scenario as far as errors in OB direction due to size differences is concerned.

It's not a problem though if the balls are well matched.

Jim

heater451
12-03-2005, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HiPockets:</font><hr> . . .when you are behind the cue ball lining up the object ball that there is some distortion trying to line up the center of the object ball to the target. Think about it, you are using the center of the object ball and the front of the cue ball to make contact and aim for a pocket (neither of which you can see when you are down over a shot). <hr /></blockquote>I understand about the not seeing the "front" of the cueball (the side facing the object ball), but I'm not sure what you mean by the center of the object ball. Could you elaborate?

=======================

ceebee
12-04-2005, 12:34 PM
I too wear glasses. I have made myself a special pair of glasses, so that I am looking through the lenses at a normal angle, so not to distort the roundness of the ball.

I too sometimes use the edges of the object ball and/or cue ball, to find the direction of the shot. I also use the "double the distance" method, if the shot isn't too long &amp; the angle too acute.

HiPockets
12-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I wil try. If it is a cut shot with the object ball deflected to the right to make the shot, then I look at the right leading edge of the ball and aim that towards the pocket. In other words I draw an imaginary line from the right edge to the pocket rather than a line from the center of the ball to the pocket.

HiPockets
12-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Double the distance? Please elaborate.

Cueless Joey
12-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Aiming the cb is a waste of time for me.
What I need to do is to line up perfectly on the ghost ball or
where the cb needs to be upon contact.
I could look at the side of the cb, center of cb, wherever of the cb, I'd still miss if I shank my cue to the left or right b/c I wun't lined up right ( shoulder, grip hand and bridge hand ).

HiPockets
12-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Ah, Cueless, did you intend to post this under another message. What doe the cueball have to do with the leading edge of the object ball? PUTI (Posting Uner The Influence).

heater451
12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
I think Joey is talking about using the cueball aim in 2d, like the fractional aiming systems. "For example, cb center to outside edge of the ob." This basically translates to a 'half-ball' hit.

It doesn't take perspective into consideration, exactly, but by the time the balls make contact, I think the aimlines yield the same contact points. You can refer to the diagram at my Tripod site (http://heater451.tripod.com/mixed.htm).

I do, however, have an issue with certain cuts. I have been thinking for awhile, about how all "half-ball" hits aren't equal, as the actual contact point of the ball will be different, depending on the location of the cueball, relative to the object ball. I know, that seems obvious, but consider a "straight" half-ball aim: Should the cb be half-way out of line of the ob, or in-line with it?

If I get the time, and have it figured out enough for criticism, I will post about it.

================================

===========================

heater451
12-06-2005, 06:30 PM
By "leading edge", do you mean the point most toward you (A), or to the "side" (B) of the object ball?

Refer to the WEI (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html) diagram:

START(%Ai9N5%Bi8J0%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%H M7N8%IL7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Ph1W4%Qi8G4%Rk8N3%U r3F5%Vj6N5
%Yr7E3%Zi7J8)END

This is of course far from the best way to show this, as it's not only 2-dimensional, but it's from the top.

It might be better to consider the balls with clock-references, with (A) having the aimline drawn from 6 o'clock, and (B) from 3 o'clock.

================================