PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol

mworkman
11-30-2005, 12:22 PM
I've been drinking longer then I've been playing pool. It doesn't effect me much durring leagues because the match only lasts a couple of hours and by the time we are done I've only had maybe 4-5 beers. I've been MVP of my league several times so I know it doesn't hurt me much if any. My problem is big tournaments. Sometimes you start at 0800 and don't finish untill midnight. I always seem to do well for about 5-6 hours and then my play falls off. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never competed sober.
I need to learn how to compete stone sober and I plan to take the leap next week. I don't need any more excuses to lose. I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this issue. Has anyone out there been a long time drinker who has had success in quiting? And how has it effected your game?

Sid_Vicious
11-30-2005, 12:50 PM
I have for stints of time, a year sometimes and there was some noticable improvement in my play. Overall though, I have lots more fun when I consume, so I'll more than likely always choose to run tabs and drink during pool. In my opinion, it's the physical tiredness on our older bodies that gives out after the time you stated which got to you in tournaments. Drinking or not, I still wane in performance after half a day of playing, and if anything...I keep a better spirit by continuing to drink.

As far as the quitting part though, I never seem to have any trouble quitting habits when I DECIDE I WANT TO. Once you know that you want to for yourself, it gets easy. Oh well, I'm sure I did a whole helluva lot of good for ya /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif sid

Cane
11-30-2005, 05:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr>Has anyone out there been a long time drinker who has had success in quiting? And how has it effected your game? <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely! Now, don't get me wrong... Old Jim Beam and I can still get together and talk about old times for hours, but when it comes time to play pool, I drink Iced Tea or Diet Coke (without the Jim Beam). Back in the 80's, before I quit playing, I used to practice at home with a half gallon of good whiskey sitting on the shelf in my pool room at the house. I practiced drunk and, honestly, stayed drunk most of the time, but got kinda worn out on it, and when I started back playing again a few years ago, I still have my nights out, without the cues, that I have a few drinks (I no longer dance on the bar or anything like that, but do like to tie one on occassionally), but I never drink and play pool at the same time. MAYBE one beer, once in a blue moon, if it's a long time between matches, but never in competition. I probably play better now than I ever have in my life.

Later,
Bob

stickman
11-30-2005, 08:22 PM
I had the same experience as you. I played well in league but struggled in the long run during tournaments. I quit and saw improvement. I won't tell you it was easy, but I was more committed to my pool than my drinking. I still drank on occasion, but limited it to times I wasn't playing competitive pool. I don't drink at all now, except for rare occasions. I'm doing dialysis for my kidney failure, and it's a struggle keeping my fluid level under control, so quitting drinking was nearly a must anyway. If I have a drink, it's something like a Margarita, with a good steak.

Billy
12-01-2005, 01:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> I've been drinking longer then I've been playing pool. It doesn't effect me much durring leagues because the match only lasts a couple of hours and by the time we are done I've only had maybe 4-5 beers. I've been MVP of my league several times so I know it doesn't hurt me much if any. My problem is big tournaments. Sometimes you start at 0800 and don't finish untill midnight. I always seem to do well for about 5-6 hours and then my play falls off. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never competed sober.
I need to learn how to compete stone sober and I plan to take the leap next week. I don't need any more excuses to lose. I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this issue. Has anyone out there been a long time drinker who has had success in quiting? And how has it effected your game? <hr /></blockquote>

you should be commended first for realizing a potential problem

it may not be the most simple of tasks but it certainly reads that you have more than half the battle won already

good luck and all the best with your pool endeavors and, of course, your health

keep in touch

jmo

Deeman3
12-01-2005, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> I've been drinking longer then I've been playing pool. It doesn't effect me much durring leagues because the match only lasts a couple of hours and by the time we are done I've only had maybe 4-5 beers. I've been MVP of my league several times so I know it doesn't hurt me much if any. My problem is big tournaments. Sometimes you start at 0800 and don't finish untill midnight. I always seem to do well for about 5-6 hours and then my play falls off. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never competed sober.
I need to learn how to compete stone sober and I plan to take the leap next week. I don't need any more excuses to lose. I'm sure I'm not the only one dealing with this issue. Has anyone out there been a long time drinker who has had success in quiting? And how has it effected your game? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I don't drink when I play pool. There was that one exception at PettyPoint but I knew I was going to do that beforehand and just enjoy the tournament we were having as the important thing was the fellowship.

I would recommend you either start drinking much later in your tournament or not do it at all just to see the effect. Now, you may have a few more nerves than usual but learning to manage that is a part of learning to compete. Many drink to take the edge off and end up taking away hand eye coordination skills.

I know many who play well drinking but none that play great drunk. Good luck to you and cheers for recognizing you need a change. Don't get too excited if takes a while. You may need to adjust to "clean" shooting. </font color>

Deeman

FastJoey
12-01-2005, 09:34 PM
go to www.azbilliards.com (http://www.azbilliards.com) and post.... there is a guy there well versed in pool and what you are wanting help in.he has been there in your shoes.he is always posting and helping people his name is BLACKJACK..good luck and Merry Christmas

Keith Talent
12-02-2005, 01:48 AM
Good luck laying off it, when you're playing at least. I used to enjoy mixing the two on a regular basis, but when I actually got serious 3 years ago about trying to play a decent game, I pretty much decided to save the guzzling till I was done for the night.

I've experimented with having 2 or 3, but it does me zero good in any kind of serious competition or practice, I've found. Truth is, pool has saved me from a lot of the dumbass boozing I used to waste my time on. Nothing's more boring than being sober in a bar, but there's no problem with that in a poolhall, eh?

And if yer in the mid-life category, an interesting and troubling study just made the news in the last couple of days. It said a study of Finns (probably the biggest boozehounds in the world) showed that those of us over 40 who still like to do the Hank Williams Jr. once a month have something like 3 to 5 times the chance of ending up a demented drooler 24/7 at the end, lol.

dmgwalsh
12-02-2005, 08:26 AM

I've got some similar habits. When I play straight pool in leagues these days, I sometimes wait until about 45 minutes before the games will end to start sipping a couple of pops.

I had a checkup yesterday and my oncologist called me today concerned about certain results of my blood work pertaining to liver function and we'll now do more tests. Time to sober up.

wolfdancer
12-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I used to drink a lot when playing pool....won my share of tournaments, while legally too drunk to drive.....that never stopped me though from driving home....and it's only sheer luck, I never was stopped, nor involved in an accident.
That first drink is relaxing, the second gives a nice buzz; I think it's the third on that starts affecting one's play.
I quit cold turkey once, never felt the need for a drink after....went to AA, a couple of times...but that was so depressing, I was ready for a drink.
I didn't touch alcohol for 7 years and thought I'd probably never drink again.
Then a friend retired and bought a sailboat...we'd sail all aft. on the bay....and he tied up a hundred yards from a neat bar "The Rusty Scupper" they served beer in a tapered frosty glass, and aftew a few times there, I decided one beer ain't gonna hurt. about a month later, I was driving back home from league night/tournament nites....drunk again.
I limit myself to two now, and space them out...
If you think the booze is affecting your play, it probably is....and if you re concerned about your drinking, you're probably drinking too much.
It's tough to just quit...I had a strong reason to...we were out drinking and having a good time....and begged a friend to stay at one of our houses...he drove home on his motorcycle, and drove into a bridge abutment, dying instantly.
You might need a support group
As to your original question......if we could only quit after one drink......good luck

Snapshot9
12-04-2005, 07:59 PM
I used to drink, but I limited myself to 3 drinks whenever
I played Pool because my game was more important than drinking to me. Eventually I quit drinking all together when I play Pool. I also did not play Pool on a date, so my date would not feel abandoned. I think I made good decisions. Usually when you make that 1 mistake that cost
you the set, that is when you realize that maybe the drinking is really affecting your perceptions or decision
making, but not usually at the time it happens. I suppose if you never play for money, it is no big deal unless you are also driving home. It sure doesn't take much to get a
DUI today, I have a friend who got 3 in 1 year and he definitely learned a lesson from them.

DickLeonard
12-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Mworkman I just have to tell this story one more time. A Troy poolroom owner in the 20s told me of Booking Ralph Greenleaf for an exhibition and Ralph showed up Drunk. {Hal Houle will dispute this}. He had to hold on to the table to steady himself. He ran 125 and out put on trick shots and gone in less than an hour. The owner later ran a bowling alley and bar so he knew what drunk was.####

Cane
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Dick, I don't think Hal will dispute THAT! He's told me many a time that the bottle was Ralph Greenleafs biggest nemesis.

Later,
Bob (plays on diet cola these days)

mworkman
12-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Dick, I believe you, sometimes I can shoot lights out when I'm drunk. However, it usually doesn't last too long. Tonight is league night and I plan on not drinking. At least untill I'm done competing. I'm a little nervous about it, but I realize that I go to the bar to play pool, not to drink. If there weren't any pool tables in the bar, I would never go in there. I know that I will probably have to take a few steps back before I can go forward. I'm sure my nerves are going to be a problem. Maybe not, I'll find out tonight.

Billy
12-06-2005, 01:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Tonight is league night and I plan on not drinking. At least untill I'm done competing. I'm a little nervous about it, but I realize that I go to the bar to play pool, not to drink.<hr /></blockquote>

good luck,hope you play well or at least up to your expectations

who knows,you may be pleasantly surprised but still confronting your situation and your efforts need to be commended.Good job

jmo

supergreenman
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Tonight is league night and I plan on not drinking. At least untill I'm done competing. I'm a little nervous about it, but I realize that I go to the bar to play pool, not to drink. If there weren't any pool tables in the bar, I would never go in there. I know that I will probably have to take a few steps back before I can go forward. I'm sure my nerves are going to be a problem. Maybe not, I'll find out tonight. <hr /></blockquote>

You're the boss there buddy, There are many things you can drink with out alcohol. I like soda water and lime juice it sorta helps cut through the smoke at the bar (oh wait, I forgot you can't smoke in bars here anymore)

Deeman3
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Dick, I believe you, sometimes I can shoot lights out when I'm drunk. However, it usually doesn't last too long. Tonight is league night and I plan on not drinking. At least untill I'm done competing. I'm a little nervous about it, but I realize that I go to the bar to play pool, not to drink. If there weren't any pool tables in the bar, I would never go in there. I know that I will probably have to take a few steps back before I can go forward. I'm sure my nerves are going to be a problem. Maybe not, I'll find out tonight. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> mworkman,

Don't be nervous. You the man! You Timberwolves are made of tough stuff. Just think, It aint the U.S.Open and they now gotta deal with your "A" game. Give em hell.

Deeman </font color>

mworkman
12-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Well, I survived not drinking untill I was done competing. I had a few beers after we were done. It went about as well as could be expected. I went 3-1, and I had one break and run. I was very nervous tho' and was visibly shaking. It was hard to hold it together durring my run. It was good to know that even tho' I was shaking, I could still run out. I did make one big mistake (scratch) which cost me a game. I will try it again next week and maybe I can control it better next time. Also, I didnt't smoke either, which is something I ussually do when I drink (only when I drink).