PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify a cue, probable Palmer

gramps
11-30-2005, 09:42 PM
I bought the cue in question used from another player in 1971 or 72 when I was at college at Rutgers. I'm sure it was at least a year old then, but was probably even older. I remember the previous owner saying it was a Palmer that he bought locally. It looks like one, and Palmer used to be in Elizabeth NJ, not too far from Rutgers in New Brunswick, so it seems possible.

There are 4 parallel wood inlays along the points light wood, red, green and black (from the inside out)along the points. On each of the 4 walnut colored points are 5 mother of pearl inlays, 2 horizontally aigned circles at the bottom, a diamod with a slit cut into each side, and 2 circles vertically aligned at the top. There's a mother of pearl band bordered by black on both sides just below the nickel colored joint and at the bottom end of both shafts.

Very similar to the one on this page labeled "Palmer c Mid 1970s" http://www.billiardcue.com/cues.php?view=1&search_letter=p

Mine has 2 shafts with small (12mm?) tips and black ferrules.

I can share pictures with knowledgeable correspondent via email.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.

tateuts
12-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Gramps,

My friend, Pizza Bob, asked me to wake up and take a look at your post.

It sure sounds like a Palmer to me, but it's also a good thing that they told you it was a Palmer in the first place.

There were several different models spanning the period from 1964 until the time you bought the cue that would match your description. The black ferrules are something to investigate as they were not commonly used by Palmer. Palmer, however, was a custom house so they would do almost anything a player wanted, escpecially in the early days, and black fiber was available and used by a number of makers at the time.

First, I would suggest you look over my site:

The Palmer Collector (http://www.palmercollector.com/)

To see if you can ID the cue - it would be from the first or second catalog most likely.

Then, if you could e-mail me pictures including your story on how you got the cue, what's been done to it, I would be happy to see if I can add it to my site in the new "Talk Column" section, where we cover everything from old cues to wierner dogs. I can also give you an idea of value. Close ups of the joint and pictures of any details, like small writing on the shaft joint tenons would be helpful.

By the way, I am very close in being able to "decode" the writing on the tenons. The codes were to determine the style of ferrule (some were screw on) , the model of cue, and the particular butt it matched up with.

By the way, in case you didn't notice, I kind of like Palmers!

Chris

gramps
12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Wow, was I glad to see your post, especially so quickly. I'll send you the photos tonight, after I get home from work. Thanks for your info and helpfulness.

Gramps

tateuts
12-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Well, if anyone would like to know what happened with gramps' cue, here is the story:

Just talkin' Cues with Gramps (http://www.palmercollector.com/JustTalkinCuesHereJon.html)

Chris

randyg
12-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Well done Chris!

Scott Lee
12-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Chris...You da man...again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott