PDA

View Full Version : 9-ball rule

02-21-2002, 10:28 PM
This happened in a tourn. last week. Player A was shooting at the 2 ball, he shot and missed the pocket, his cue hit the 6 ball which started rolling, the 2 ball came back across the table and hit the 6 interferring with the 2 ball path. Player B call a foul.. After a timeout, play resumed, T.O. determined that it was not a foul and the match went on.Anybody have any thoughts on this???

Troy
02-21-2002, 11:03 PM
I can't locate the rule in the on-line BCA Rules, but here is a copy from www.texasexpress.com (http://www.texasexpress.com) --- it's a foul.

6.0-15 TOUCHING OR MOVING NUMBERED BALLS (DURING THE SHOT)

IF A PLAYER MOVES A SINGLE NUMBERED BALL DURING A SHOT AND THE MOVED BALL INTERFERES WITH A LEGALLY STRUCK NUMBERED BALL OR THE CUE BALL, IT IS A FOUL. IF THE GENERAL AREA VACATED BY THE MOVED NUMBERED BALL COULD HAVE HAD AN
OUTCOME ON THE SHOT (BY A LEGALLY STRUCK NUMBERED BALL, THE CUE BALL OR THE PATH OF EITHER OR BOTH), IT IS A FOUL. THE OPPONENT HAS THE OPTION TO REPLACE THE MOVED NUMBERED BALL TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION OR LEAVE IN THE MOVED POSITION
(LEAVE LIE). ANYTIME TWO OR MORE NUMBERED BALLS ARE MOVED DURING THE SHOT (OR IF THE SINGLE NUMBERED BALL THAT WAS MOVED CONTACTS ANOTHER NUMBERED BALL), IT IS AN AUTOMATIC FOUL AND THE OPPONENT HAS THE OPTION TO REPLACE (ALL MOVED
BALLS ONLY) IN THEIR ORIGINAL POSITION OR LEAVE IN THE MOVED POSITION (LEAVE LIE). THE BALLS MAY NEVER BE REPLACED BY THE SHOOTER WITHOUT PERMISSION BY THE OPPONENT, OR IT IS A FOUL. IF A FOUL OCCURS, THE OPPONENT RECEIVES CUE BALL IN HAND.

02-22-2002, 09:49 AM
Thanks Troy for your input and clarifing this. The bca rule is not very clear on this.
Dave in ohio

02-22-2002, 12:22 PM
bca 1.16.1 'cue ball fouls only'...pretty clearly describes this case and says it is a foul. bad t.d. needs to buy a book.

dan

Troy
02-22-2002, 12:31 PM
Dan... I thought it should be there some place but I couldn't find it in the on-line BCA Rules. Did you find 1.16 on line ??? If so, where ???

Thanks,
Troy

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> bca 1.16.1 'cue ball fouls only'...pretty clearly describes this case and says it is a foul. bad t.d. needs to buy a book.

dan <hr></blockquote>

02-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Did you find 1.16 on line ??? If so, where ???

nope, i cheated and bought the book. since i do my bca membership directly i get the new book and a bag of junk each year instead of just the little book they give out for league players. it's in the 'rules for tournament play' section.

dan

Troy
02-22-2002, 01:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>

nope, i cheated

dan

<hr></blockquote>

Oh, the shame of it..... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Chris Cass
02-22-2002, 11:37 PM
Yes, IMO this is a foul because of interfering in the path of the ob. I know for a fact that most T.O.'s agree or side with the shooter at bat. I also think it may have been only cb fouls mix up.
The other thing I question is, why not atleast sign your name to the post? Atleast we'll not feel so used.
C.C.

02-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Thanks C.C., I'm new at this,1st time actually. After I posted, I realized I didn't sign it.
Dave in Ohio

Mike D2
02-23-2002, 09:49 AM
That is a foul

Chris Cass
02-23-2002, 11:02 AM
Cool Dave,
Welcome brother. It's funny about the BCA rule thing. There was a dicussion on an 8ball game that came up about the break and the rules. The question was if a player came up and broke the rack making all the solid balls off the snap and shot the 8 in on his next shot, calling it of course, would it be loss of game? The answer would be yes according to the BCA. Wierd huh?
Well, glad to meet you Dave.
C.C.~~hates rules. born a rebel......lol

cheesemouse
02-23-2002, 12:33 PM
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/foul.gif

02-23-2002, 02:47 PM
As other have pointed out, it is a foul. Basically, if the movement causes a position that cannot be restored, it is a foul. If a moved ball touches a ball set in motion as part of the shot, you clearly cannot restore the position, since you have no way to know where the balls would have stopped.

This rule is available on-line at the WPA web site at

http://www.wpa-pool.com/rules/rules.htm

and Word versions of the rules are also there.

02-23-2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks C.C. for the kind reply. Making all the solids or stripes on the break would be very rare, if not impossible, then only to shoot the eight in and lose??? Go figure.
Later C.C.

Troy
02-24-2002, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> It's funny about the BCA rule thing. There was a dicussion on an 8ball game that came up about the break and the rules. The question was if a player came up and broke the rack making all the solid balls off the snap and shot the 8 in on his next shot, calling it of course, would it be loss of game? The answer would be yes according to the BCA. Wierd huh?
<hr></blockquote>

I guess the "proper" thing would be to shoot a safety and let your opponent shoot until you had a "legal" shot at the 8-Ball.

Randy G, can you explain please ???

Troy

02-24-2002, 08:17 PM
The Rules Committe has talked about this situation. I can't remember what was decided. I will get back later with an answer....randyg

02-24-2002, 11:45 PM
Call me out of line if you want, but why even pose such an impossible scenario. I'll hit the lottery before this ever comes up in a break of a 15 ball pack. Seriously, we are really grasping for a topic to discuss on this board to pursue such a question...sid

02-25-2002, 11:01 AM
Hi Sid,
Just one of those cases that the BCA rules might not cover. I'd say the odds of it happening are extremely high as you point out but I've seen some wierd stuff happen in a game that you'ld think that wasn't possible. Just interesting conversation that's all.
Regards,
C.C.~~once broke a 9ball rack and the cb popped up and landed on the top of the rail and stayed there. After 10 mins of everyone laughing, I shot from there and missed. LOLLOL