PDA

View Full Version : how do you measure tips?

dazednconfused
12-02-2005, 05:00 PM
The visual difference is obvious but how do you actually measure it with a caliper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-02-2005, 06:34 PM
dazednconfused...Sorry, I'm dazednconfused...just what is the exact question here???sid

pooltchr
12-02-2005, 08:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dazednconfused:</font><hr> The visual difference is obvious but how do you actually measure it with a caliper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

yes, that is how you measure one.

Billy_Bob
12-02-2005, 10:44 PM
You can use a "tip sizing gauge". Here is one about 1/4 way down the page...

http://www.lakesidebilliardsupply.com/cueaccessories.html

dr_dave
12-04-2005, 11:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dazednconfused:</font><hr> The visual difference is obvious but how do you actually measure it with a caliper? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Do you mean "tips of English?" If you do, it is the number of cue stick widths (at the tip) you aim the cue ball below center (Note - this is different from where the tip actually contacts the cue ball). So if you are using a 12 mm tip, with "1 tip of English," the cue stick centerline would be 12 mm below the center-ball hit centerline, and the top edge of the cue stick would be where the bottom edge would be for a center-ball hit.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your questions,
Dave

PS: I will be writing a well-illustrated article soon about "tips of English" and the effects of cue tip shape and cue stick elevation. The article is "part IV" in a series of articles I am currently writing about draw shots. The new article should be posted within a month or so in the Instructional article section of my website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/bd_articles/index.html).

ceebee
12-05-2005, 12:26 PM
If I were going to measure a Leather Cue Tip, with calipers, I would measure the diameter. You can measure in thousandths of an inch or in millimeters. Either way, you can convert the information to the other measuring system.

The Cue Tip can also be checked for hardness, with a durometer gage.

runout1961
12-06-2005, 09:46 AM
Hello,

I suppose you could use a tip gauge. But i use a digital caliper with an electronic display that tells you the exact mm size of the tip. You can pick one up for about $30.

mine looks exactlyy like this one

http://www.insize.com.cn/caliper-2/11101.jpg

heater451
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
The only place I've seen digital calipers for sale anywhere for immediate consumption is PepBoys, although I can't recall if Sears has them---I think theirs is analog/dial. I got lucky, because the posted price was $20, but they usually go for $29 or $39 there---they honored the sticker on the shelf.

The other auto parts places I've checked have dial or vernier-scale, and you can find a vernier one at a hardware place. (I think I got my vernier one at Lowes, for about $10.)

=====================