PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 soft break shot diagram

qstroker2004
12-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Hi all. I haven't posted here in a long time, but just got back to shootin' some recently, so here goes...

I'm addressing 14.1 break shots where you are trying to get into the next rack, but have a shallow angle to go into the rack, and can't get much force into the rack unless you really slam the cue ball. In the shot diagrammed below, I've been hitting the shot softly, sending the cue ball down near the foot rail, while opening 2 or 3 balls that can be used to get a nice break from below the rack.

http://www.poolfanatic.com/tutorial/weitable.html

This is the starting break position hit softly or medium soft depending on exactly how you are coming off the rack.
START(
%AM8N5%BM8O9%CL6M9%DL5O3%EL6P8%FK4M0%GK4N4%HK3P0%I K3Q4%JJ1L3
%KJ0M8%LJ0O1%MJ0P6%NI9R0%OL4J6%PU8L3%UN3K8%VT6L3%W D4D1%XK5I7
%eB4`3
)END

This is what you might end up with, which will assure a good chance at a nice breakout:
START(
%AM8N5%BM8O9%CL6M9%DL5O3%EL6P8%FK4M0%GK4N4%HK3P0%I K3Q4%JE0M1
%KH1M5%LI4O1%MJ0P6%NI9R0%OC0C0%PE3G9%eB4`3
)END

For me, sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't so I'm trying to pick some brains here. Is this the best we can hope for, or are there some rules of thumb on this shot that can nearly assure that you have a few to shoot at?

Any thoughts/suggestion?

thanks,
dwhite

Rod
12-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Well yes, using your diagram, shoot it at appx med speed and follow the c/b towards center table. It will spread the rack much better. You most likely will have at least two shots. Pick the best one from there and run as needed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Really you not slamming the rack, it is a controlled med speed break. If you slam it you may end up with whitey on the head rail.

Rod

qstroker2004
12-03-2005, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well yes, using your diagram, shoot it at appx med speed and follow the c/b towards center table. It will spread the rack much better. You most likely will have at least two shots... <hr /></blockquote>

My only thought on that was that I usually end up on the other side of the rack from where the open balls are! Maybe I need to hit just a bit harder to achieve your result. But leaving the cue ball on the "wrong" side of the rack from the open balls is why I started thinking a softer break that leaves the cue ball down below the rack might be better for getting another break out shot right away. I just wondered whether any good players break softly like this.

thanks for your reply,
dwhite

Rod
12-03-2005, 11:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote qstroker2004:</font><hr>
My only thought on that was that I usually end up on the other side of the rack from where the open balls are! Maybe I need to hit just a bit harder to achieve your result. But leaving the cue ball on the "wrong" side of the rack from the open balls is why I started thinking a softer break that leaves the cue ball down below the rack might be better for getting another break out shot right away. I just wondered whether any good players break softly like this.

thanks for your reply,
dwhite <hr /></blockquote>

Not likely, the object of a break shot is spread the balls. That will vary from a little to a lot. When you have less than a diserable break shot though sometimes a soft hit may prove to be a better shot. Leaving yourself below the rack might be ok but the balls are hardly moved and you may only end up with one shot without a decent second ball to spread the rack. You could get trapped below the rack and end up having to playing a safe.

When you go into the rack bringing the c/b near center table you can end up with shots on both sides of the rack as well as a couple of balls underneath which can be used as break balls if needed. Here is a rough example, much better to look like this, you have a lot to work with here.

START(
%AN2N6%BM8P4%CL8M3%DL5O3%EL6Q7%FI1J7%GK4N4%HK3P0%I L3T9%JJ8E6
%KG4M7%LE6P8%MI7Q0%NI6Y2%OC0C0%PX1M6%eB4`3
)END

It's always going to depend on your original break shot angle. If it got to straight on the 15, the c/b could go off the rack into the same corner. Soft follow probably wouldn't even produce a shot. In that case a draw stroke is used to supply the force needed to spread the balls a little. Testy shot, not for the weak hearted, you could end up stuck to the rack or up table near the head rail.

Like I said, it depends. You have to practice those shots at different angles to learn what works best. Perhaps a good book on straight pool is in order?

Rod

qstroker2004
12-04-2005, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Like I said, it depends. You have to practice those shots at different angles to learn what works best. Perhaps a good book on straight pool is in order?<hr /></blockquote>

I've got most of those books! I understand and can execute many of the other break shots, but this is one that seemed to work for me (sometimes) but I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere. I'll try to compare the soft and the medium shots. I imagine I might need some inside english, though, to get the cue ball to center table off the side rail. I think I might often end up resting the cb at the side rail otherwise, or possibly getting bounced back to the foot rail by an interfering ball.

thanks,
dwhite