PDA

View Full Version : Best Chalk?

leonkush
12-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Hello,

In the early late 80's early 90's I collected a quantity of Triangle chalk (usually from my pockets after returning from the club)

I have always played with a lot of side and drag/follow through on the ball and this particular chalk was fairly heavy with a good consistancy and grip on the ball.

A few months ago I used up this batch of chalk and have bought many pieces from several companies including Triangle + Master and all of the chalk seems to be fairly dusty and of lower quality - probably due to mass production and cheaper ingredients.

Can anyone recomend the 'Very' best quality chalk?

Cheers

Leon

recoveryjones
12-03-2005, 11:09 PM
The older chalk made in the 80's had lead mixed in with the coloring dye.Later on lead was made illegal and was taken out of chalk for health reasons.

Some people swear that the old (leaded) chalk was much better and adhered to the tip so much better.I do know how true it is, but apparently Earl strickland swears by the old (pre-flag) masters and still uses it. Whatever chalk he is using he has the filthiest (ring around blue) ferrule I've ever seen.

Other's on the various forums have said that ,that is completley ridiculious and basically insanity. Included in that group was someone from the company that makes Masters chalk.

Anyways, let us know if you ever find something that can match that old (leaded) stuff.Good luck.
RJ

dr_dave
12-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Leon,

FYI, PlatinumBilliards has a review based on some tests here (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_chalk.php).

Regards,
Dave

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote leonkush:</font><hr> Hello,

In the early late 80's early 90's I collected a quantity of Triangle chalk (usually from my pockets after returning from the club)

I have always played with a lot of side and drag/follow through on the ball and this particular chalk was fairly heavy with a good consistancy and grip on the ball.

A few months ago I used up this batch of chalk and have bought many pieces from several companies including Triangle + Master and all of the chalk seems to be fairly dusty and of lower quality - probably due to mass production and cheaper ingredients.

Can anyone recomend the 'Very' best quality chalk?

Cheers

Leon <hr /></blockquote>

wolfdancer
12-04-2005, 01:27 PM
I've played in places where the chalk is so bad...I bought a gross of Master chalk, and carry a few with me now, just in case. If I could only remember to bring 'em back home.
The worst stuff, i ever played with, was at a pool hall opened by "non-pool" owners. they decided on red cloth....and red chalk....which contains rouge/ferric oxide, as the coloring agent( I believe). After a couple of hours on the tables.....your fingers were red, your cue was red, and your white shirt a mess.
I wonder what the cost difference is between manufacturing a good quality chalk, and a cheap one? And since your sales would be much lower, putting out the cheap stuff, that's gotta be a Miz-take.
Here's my patent-pending plan to save on this endangered resource......chalk up, then after the shot rotate the cue....you can easily get 5 or 6 shots out of one chalking.
It's akin to getting a week's worth of wear, from one pair of underwear.

Snapshot9
12-04-2005, 01:55 PM
The best as I see it:

Master's dark blue chalk
Silver Cup chalk

Deeman3
12-04-2005, 06:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I've played in places where the chalk is so bad...I bought a gross of Master chalk, and carry a few with me now, just in case. If I could only remember to bring 'em back home.
The worst stuff, i ever played with, was at a pool hall opened by "non-pool" owners. they decided on red cloth....and red chalk....which contains rouge/ferric oxide, as the coloring agent( I believe). After a couple of hours on the tables.....your fingers were red, your cue was red, and your white shirt a mess.
I wonder what the cost difference is between manufacturing a good quality chalk, and a cheap one? And since your sales would be much lower, putting out the cheap stuff, that's gotta be a Miz-take.
Here's my patent-pending plan to save on this endangered resource......chalk up, then after the shot rotate the cue....you can easily get 5 or 6 shots out of one chalking.
It's akin to getting a week's worth of wear, from one pair of underwear. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Master's Blue, of course. Let's ont redo the old Deeman Baked Masters thread, O.K.? /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif</font color>

Deeman