PDA

View Full Version : Might I have some sort of health problem?

sack316
12-04-2005, 12:58 AM
hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I'm just curious to see if anyone may recognize some sort of problem and/or solution to how I've been feeling.

Most of you know over a year ago I made the trip to rehab and cleaned my life up and have been getting my "house in order" so to speak ever since. Overall life has never been better... although quite tough dealing with the damage I've done in my past- I still have grown in leaps and bounds over these past 15 months or so.

But from time to time I just get tired (for lack of a better word). I'll go for a while where I'm energetic, motivated, and kind of in a "go get 'em" mode. I'm positive and happy and my normal self. Then suddenly one day it's as if I hit a wall, and I may go for weeks at a time where I'm just "blah". I'll feel tired and just not want to do anything. I'll sleep for some amazingly long hours at a time, and when I wake up it's almost a chore to even get out of bed, and all I feel like doing is going back to sleep... even if I have something that I need to do I just won't have the drive to do it. I'll isolate myself and just be--doing nothing productive and not answering the phone (eerily similar to myself during the bad drinking days).

I wish I could describe it all better, but hopefully that gives a little insight. I realize lately that I've been putting in more days at the poolhall, which has basically flipped my a.m. and p.m hours-- so I'm sure that has some effect. but beyong that this has been happening from time to time over the last year reguardless of the hours I keep. Could it be just plain laziness, some form of depression or bipolar, iron problems, CFS, all of the above? I'd just like to narrow down some possibilities and try to know which way to go.

Thanks,
Sack

supergreenman
12-04-2005, 01:38 AM
What you're describing is common with with recovering addicts or alcohalics. I've heard excersize and better sleeping habits often help.

Hope that helps with you. And don't be afraid to see your doctor for advise.

James

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Sounds like you've been readin' my mail. Seriously though, I've wondered the same question about myself, yesterday in fact. I peddled my motorcycle into the ph for a lack of anything else I could think to do to relieve the dull drums, jumped into some money pool actually feeling like losing money, but won, go figure. I was a pitiful case inside, just lucky to have the gang to joke around with to suppress those lows for a while.

Sack, I have no answer but to say I relate. For a long time I called what we both seem to have a midlife crisis. Well actually, "the midlife crisis hangover." I went to my doctor with mine a while back and everything checked out ok, even though I never did get xrays which were suggested, chest and of course, the brain...my family has a history of brain cancer. If I were to suggest one test for you it would be to have the head examined with a scan. My father lived years with a hidden tumor which was apricot sized when discovered, and his depression and sleep consumption leading up to the finding was obvious to the family, so you never know what's in there until you have it checked out.

I hope I've not worried you with this response. Just be thankful you are able to sleep. That's a problem you do not want to include with your other symptoms, it's murder on your whole person to toss and turn, day after day.

The easiest analogy is "Life sucks, and then you die." Of course it ain't the truth, but it sure feels that way during these times. Take care, let me know how things evolve, PM if you want.

Sid~~~isn't the Great White Oprah with this one /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sack316
12-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the responses... and man I hope I'm not having my midlife crisis at 26! (although I guess it would be nice to get it out of the way, and I'd get less funny looks scooping up an 18 year old now than I would when I'm 50 lol). But yeah I think I do need to see a doctor, it's just the money thing is tight right now and I don't have insurance at present time... but I think some sort of checkup would be needed-- if nothing else just to make sure it's not something serious on the physical side of things.
The sleeping habit thing is something else I realize I need work on. Yes I CAN sleep (sometimes way too much), but I may go days where I only sleep an hour or two if anything, then one day I'll just crash out and be out of service for a little while.

I dunno, like I said it's weird and unfortunately hard to explain since it's not consistently the same thing. But thanks you so much for the helpful responses, and Sid I may be taking you up on the PM thing, so keep a lookout just in case!

Thanks,
Sack

Voodoo Daddy
12-04-2005, 08:18 AM
I'm a believer in sleep when your tired & eat when your hungry. There isnt a set schedule for anyones body to automatically say "Ok, its 10:30, time to sleep". Thats a forced reaction or programming done by the masses. Dont assume the worst about your current mental/phsycal state, it'll make ya crazy. Good luck with all that...

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2005, 09:10 AM
You're most likely just hitting a valley from recovery. I don't know much about it except that I believe that I went through one recently after a broken relationship in which I'd invested my entire soul right down to the core. I had in effect become addicted to that person, physically and psychologically. It was months after getting past the lack of self-esteem that my "don't cares" surfaced, and truthfully I am still in those today, just that it's v-e-e-r-y gradually gotten better, and worse in some new ways, but better is important to notice. It is hard to ride it out, all you want to do is to fix it and time can be an enemy, a necessary one. I'd say that being able to touch base with friends like you have with this post will do a lot of good. The value of support from a billiard group is something I'd have never have imagined before the internet came into being. We have a super group who takes the time and interest to care. You don't find too many groups like this one, we're lucky. Many other groups would crucify a guy expressing his feelings, be them general such as yours or mine involving a personal relationship gone bad.

You'll surely get wiser advice latter in this thread. It might just be some deficiency and diet/vitamin supliments will get you back in tune. Blood work will tell you a lot.

At least we have pool, imagine the downer it would be to not be able to play at all. Makes me want to take a valium just thinking about it.

Lastly, a best friend of mine once gave me his advice for these things,,,he said to get laid as quickly as possible. That's where I'd start /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif sid

Fran Crimi
12-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Good idea to get a checkup and blood test. Fatigue symptoms are often related to blood sugar and thyroid issues, all treatable. It may be something simple.

Fran

dg-in-centralpa
12-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Sack,
I would seriously think about talking to a pschologist. It sounds as if you have depression. This goes along with alcoholics or children of alcoholics. Sometimes all you need is a pill(Stones-Mothers' Little Helper) to fix a chemical imbalance, other times you need to speak with a professional on a regular basis. This is not an unusual thing. Stay with it and let us know how you make out.

DG

SnakebyteXX
12-04-2005, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> hi all, hope everyone is doing well. I'm just curious to see if anyone may recognize some sort of problem and/or solution to how I've been feeling.

But from time to time I just get tired (for lack of a better word). I'll go for a while where I'm energetic, motivated, and kind of in a "go get 'em" mode. I'm positive and happy and my normal self. Then suddenly one day it's as if I hit a wall, and I may go for weeks at a time where I'm just "blah". I'll feel tired and just not want to do anything. I'll sleep for some amazingly long hours at a time, and when I wake up it's almost a chore to even get out of bed, and all I feel like doing is going back to sleep... even if I have something that I need to do I just won't have the drive to do it. I'll isolate myself and just be--doing nothing productive and not answering the phone (eerily similar to myself during the bad drinking days).

Thanks,
Sack <hr /></blockquote>

Sack,

Listlessness, feeling tired all the time, sleeping for long periods and yet feeling the need for more sleep, isolation, avoiding contact with the outside world etc. are all symptoms of clinical depression. You should try and schedule an appointment with a mental health therapist or psychiatrist at your earliest convenience in order to get a professional opinion.

There are MANY ways of treating depression in today's world including anti-depressant drugs as well as non-drug related therapies. The problem with anti-depressants is that once you’ve started it can be tough to get off them.

Fran is right about the need to check for hormonal imbalances too - like thyroid function. My wife was diagnosed with clinical depression a few years back. We went to a nutritionist (among others) and she suggested that the depression might be due in part to a malfunctioning thyroid gland. We tested for iodine deficiency - discovered that there was a problem and got her on thyroid drugs right away. Almost overnight, her mood brightened and she began returning to her normal bright and cheerful self.

A simple home test for thyroid function: Among other things iodine deficiency or iodine excess can affect thyroid function. A simple home test for iodine deficiency involves using over the counter iodine. Pick an easy to reach spot on your abdomen and paint a square with the iodine about two inches by two inches. Wait 15 minutes. If you're iodine deficient the square you painted will have faded to a very faint yellow. If you're not - the square will stay bright yellow/orange for hours.

Either way, the deal with clinical depression is that it's a physiological condition - a chemical imbalance if you will. That's why it can get such a grip on people and won't go away until some kind of treatment is undergone.

Good luck.

Snake

DebraLiStarr
12-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Son
Of a
Bitch
Everything's
Real

hehehehehe... that might have something to with it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
12-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Sack,

Good luck. Maybe we can get together soon. I played in a little tournament near here last night. Now I'm barred from playing in it so I'll have to head closer to your area.

I am inclined to agree you may some post recovery depression. Are you getting any exercise now? I'm not one to talk but a little more physical activity seems to help more than a pill or two.

Yell at me sometime.

300-3654

Deeman

Candyman
12-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Sack, go to www.anemia.com (http://www.anemia.com) and answer their questionair. You have a couple of symtoms of anemia. Good luck buddy. I've been there. Hang tough. What ever the problem, you can get straightened out, but you need to see your family doctor. A lab test will reveal your problem quickly. Good luck, Lock

Drop1
12-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Go see a Doctor. You could have a brain tumor,or lung cancer,or kidney failure,or gas,or liver failure,but you ain't gonna know tell you see a Doctor. Once you get the test results,let us know what it is,because I feel that way most of the time.

Candyman
12-04-2005, 08:03 PM
No offense, but you could use some sensitivity training. I think I will make me an appointment in the morning. I have a mild case of gas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif