PDA

View Full Version : the IPT KOTH

Dagwood
12-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Ok, Ok, I havne't posted for a little while here, so don't crucify me if there was an unwritten agreement not to bring up the IPT on the forum, as I haven't seen but one mention of it on here.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought of the way that this tourney went down, especially if they were there to see how everything, (production amenities for the players, equipment, ect...) was put together. I know that the IPT has caused quite a bit of heartache on the forum, and I don't want to start any again, but after the first event has finished, I just wanted to get impressions of people. From everything I've seen, (of course, my opinion is going to be biased because I've only got information from the official site to go off of), it looked to be a well run tourney. It is most deffinitely the biggest payout for the players...

Dags, (NOT tryin to start an argument, but thinks that it's inevitible with this subject...*sigh*)

SPetty
12-05-2005, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Dagwood:</font><hr> Ok, Ok, I haven't posted for a little while here, so don't crucify me if there was an unwritten agreement not to bring up the IPT on the forum, as I haven't seen but one mention of it on here.<hr /></blockquote>I think it's an unwritten agreement to go over to AZB to talk about IPT. There's a LOT of talk about it there.

I attended and had a great time. For the most part, it was run really well. The final match was quite a show.

Rich R.
12-05-2005, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I think it's an unwritten agreement to go over to AZB to talk about IPT. There's a LOT of talk about it there.<hr /></blockquote>
I have to agree with SPetty, if there is such a thing as an "unwritten agreement". /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Most of us lurk and/or post on both this forum and the AZB. Since the topic of the IPT is being beaten to death on the AZB, it didn't seem productive to bring it up here. We will reserve other topics to beat to death on this forum. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

eg8r
12-05-2005, 08:11 AM
I had the opportunity to go to the tourney on Saturday (Thank you again SPetty) and it was awesome. The players all seemed to be excited. The whole thing seemed pretty top notch and for this being his first tourney, it was awesome. It looked like Kevin had been running pool tournaments for decades. Everything ran smoothly, and as far as any glitches in the process the only couple I noticed were the lights over the pool table went off for about 20 seconds, and the games on table 2 and the "main" table (I cannot remember the funny name they used) were switched. Also, during the final match on Saturday night there was a party in the room next to the tournament and you could hear the music loud and clear. If I had to hear one more verse of Felice Navidad I might have thrown up. I am not kidding, they played that song for about 10 minutes, over and over and over and over. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Other than that, I think the only thing I did not like was watching Archer play. He is way too slow (but that has been brought up and dragged down plenty in the past). I never seen anyone since Charlie Williams bounce up and down at the table once they have decided on which shot they are going to take. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Needless to say, I did my best to watch the other great matches during each session.

I was pretty disappointed at the poor officiating on the Busty/Manalo table when the failed safety cost Manalo his first match. I don't believe it was foul but I really don't think the ref should look to the crowd to make his decision. It was awesome sitting a few feet away from these guys, watching them play pool and hanging with some friends.

By the way, it was great meeting Fred Agnir, Bob Jewett, Murray Tucker, Greg Sullivan, a few of the players, and a few from AZB. I missed JJinFla, heard he was there but never caught up. Maybe in January. Missed Qtec (gabber) hopefully he will make it to the tourney in Jan. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah one other bad, the food sucked. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I drank a lot of water and SPetty was kind enough to offer me some crackers. Who eats "organic" hot dogs? I had never seen "organic" soda before either. Did not try either, stuck with what I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lastly, Kevin was a pretty cool guy. At one point he had come up near SPetty to find a seat to watch the match. I was not really paying attention, but he could not sit in either of the seats next to me because I had stuff in them (should have moved the stuff). Later in the evening I was sitting in one of the tall chairs and he came up and just stood behind me and another guy (we were sitting in the players chairs) looking between us at the pool table. We had about 2 or 3 minutes to chat with him and thank him for doing this for pool. He is a really nice guy (most of the very rich do not mingle like this with the peons). I also thanked him for inviting Manalo. When I said this, he laughed and said, "No kidding". It was a great tournament and I cannot wait till January for the next one. It would be awesome if Kevin just had all the tournaments here in town that way I would not have to travel far. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~thought it was pretty cool to see a Billion dollars walking around with a little man on an invisible leash /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
12-05-2005, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> I was pretty disappointed at the poor officiating on the Busty/Manalo table when the failed safety cost Manalo his first match. I don't believe it was foul but I really don't think the ref should look to the crowd to make his decision. <hr /></blockquote>I'm not certain if this is the same shot, but, per the discussion on AZB, they said that the video replay proved that the ref made the correct call.
It's a tough job and I believe the guy should get the credit for getting the call correct. I'm sure he will get enough crap when he happens to miss one.

supergreenman
12-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks egr8 for sharing your experiences.

J

eg8r
12-05-2005, 09:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not certain if this is the same shot, but, per the discussion on AZB, they said that the video replay proved that the ref made the correct call.
It's a tough job and I believe the guy should get the credit for getting the call correct. I'm sure he will get enough crap when he happens to miss one. <hr /></blockquote> Read Fred's response, we were both there. Unless they have a pretty hi-res camera, I am not sure they will ever know for sure. As far as giving the ref some credit, it would have behooved you to be there before making such a comment. The ref never called anything and he looked a bit startled when Francisco stood up and started pointing into the crowd. The ref was horrible and deserved really no credit whatsoever. In actuality, the ref never made any call, Manalo just gave in to Francisco and Busty took ball in hand.

I don't remember, what the ref looked like, but I think he was the same one that screwed up in the Efren/Manalo game and started racking up the balls when Efren went to get the bridge. At that point the ref was taken off the game and another brought in.

eg8r

Qtec
12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
If the ref was 10ft away, how could he be sure?
Didnt M say he hit the ball? Was he lying?

http://azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/attachment.php?attachmentid=12194&amp;d=1133799668

Q

Qtec
12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Ed, you need to check ut AZ. there is a ref that made apost TOTALLY contradicting your version of events.
He reckons the ref called the foul first!

Qtec............finally, some contraversy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

BTW, you can see a couple of short video clips of the IPT at IPT clips (http://www.members.lycos.nl/agli2) Once the ads are gone you can see the clips. Real bootleg footage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

eg8r
12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed, you need to check ut AZ. there is a ref that made apost TOTALLY contradicting your version of events.
He reckons the ref called the foul first!

Qtec............finally, some contraversy. <hr /></blockquote> I just read the post where Fred states he was dead wrong, wrong again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't see a post from the ref though. What is his name on the board?

eg8r

eg8r
12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Manalo was adamant he hit the ball first (I don't know if he is a chronic liar away from the pool table). He even set the balls up and shot it about 5 times trying to show them what he did. Too little too late though, he can't argue once the match is over. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

eg8r
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
I see now that ref you are referring to is poolboy. He does mention he was not the ref in question but was in the area. So were the rest of us, but we don't have any reason to defend anyone. The ref did not call out anything, (how can poolboy be so sure if the ref called it out only loud enough for Manalo to hear?) as best I can remember, but that would be caught in the video somewhere (not the overhead). All the confusion began immeadiately when Busty jumped up.

I just wonder if Manalo would have played a succesful safety and won, would that have affected his concertration and mind set and would he beat Efren. It seemed to me, that after the ref fiasco in the Manalo/Efren game, Manalo just did not seem like he could get his act together (only saw the table maybe 2 more times, Efren was running out from every where at that point).

All in all, I like see the HOF'er shut down the young gun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Rich R.
12-05-2005, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Ed, you need to check ut AZ. there is a ref that made apost TOTALLY contradicting your version of events.
He reckons the ref called the foul first!<hr /></blockquote>
Thank you.

Qtec
12-05-2005, 11:15 AM
For what?

Q

Qtec
12-05-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I reviewed the tape and can't believe how much speculation has been written here by people who weren't even there to see the incident.

The foul was called very soon after the attempt. When Manalo disagreed it was he who asked the crowd. Furthermore, Mr. Manalo is experienced enough to know that if you truly dispute the call, you stop play and call over an IPT official to further dispute the call. The fact that he didn't do that and waited until after the match was over and the scorecard signed means that it doesn't matter at all whether or not it was a foul. By the way, it was a foul.

And I am really disappointed in some of the comments I have heard about the referees' professionalism. There were hundreds and hundreds of hours of pool played, in Round Robin format, and over five days. There were six referees working 12 hour days, every day and... There was ONE disputed call and the referee happened to make the right call. Get over it folks.
Deno Andrews <hr /></blockquote>

??????

Q

Rich R.
12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Ed, you need to check ut AZ. there is a ref that made apost TOTALLY contradicting your version of events.
He reckons the ref called the foul first!<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Thank you. <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> For what? <hr /></blockquote>
For bringing this additional information to Ed's attention.
Obviously, I wasn't the only one who should have gone to AZB to read.

Qtec
12-05-2005, 11:40 AM
No problem Rich. [ eg8r is a lost cause. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif]
Did you like the bootlegs Rich?
Q

Rich R.
12-05-2005, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Did you like the bootlegs Rich?
Q <hr /></blockquote>I'll have to check them out later. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

eg8r
12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
What is your question? If my memory gets any better /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif, Deno was not even there which you would not know by reading the beginning of his response. He did not come running up until a few minutes later.

[ QUOTE ]
The foul was called very soon after the attempt. <hr /></blockquote> No kidding, it appeared to be Busty that called it, then looking to the fans to agree with him.

eg8r

Dagwood
12-05-2005, 08:34 PM
well, I'm glad at least that it didn't cause the verbal scuffle that happened before when the IPT issue rose it's head. I for one just hope that the apparent success of this tour continues. Of course, if they payouts continue to be this large, you won't hear the players complaining, unless what happened with the camel tour happens again and they don't get paid.

Dags - Is just hoping that the good pool continues...

SPetty
12-07-2005, 03:34 PM
Watched a huge pile of BCA Hall of Fame pool players I have heard of but have never seen in action. I have seen a few of them on video, and a few of the currently active ones in real life, but it was totally awesome to see all of these ladies and gentlemen together playing pool. I think they enjoyed it as well.

Met up with JAM and chatted with her awhile. She and Keith were “wired” more than the other players. The tour apparently picked 10 players to follow with cameras for days. So, while talking with JAM, her photographer came up and asked her to put on her microphone. So when we were chatting, the photog came up and stuck his camera in our faces. I hope they trash that film!

Introduced myself to Deno, but he was a busy busy man the entire time. Met jjinfla at the computer terminals.

Chatted with C.J. Wiley for a bit. Learned the answer to a few pressing questions that have come up in the forums… J means nothing – just J. He still has three pool tables in his upscale nightclub, Carsons, in the North Dallas area. When he opened it, there were 20 tables, and he’s incrementally scaled it down so that now there’s only three. And he says he still visits the old CJ’s and he’s recently improved it and that women now play free there. He says he’s opening another place up on the north side in a few weeks that will cater to the 35-and-older crowd, and there will be no pool tables there.

Chatted with Vivian Villarreal for a bit. Told her how happy we all were that she found her daughter, and asked if she had a current picture. She also pulled out a picture of her daughter when she was about four years old – when she was taken from Viv.

Thanked Gerda for beating Earl.

Thanked Kevin Trudeau several times for doing this.

Asked Marlon Manalo how his last name is pronounced.

At the request of a fellow forum member, talked with Lou Butera and his lovely wife. What a nice and pleasant man.

Went to dinner with Chopstick and Grady Matthews and his lovely wife, Randi. That was fun. Chopstick was a great host and made sure I had a ride back to my hotel every evening. Met Jimmy Fusco, a very pleasant fellow.

Introduced myself to Tony Robles, knowing that he lurks the forums.

Said “Howdy” to Mike Panozzo – Billiards Digest editor. Asked him to hook me up with Mason King, the guy who wrote the articles about PettyPoint in BD, but I didn’t see Mike after the first day, and never found Mason.

I was fortunate enough to be beside Bob Jewett (Billiards Digest’s resident physicist and expert pool player) and Fred Agnir (Inside Pool’s resident physicist and expert pool player) for awhile. That’s a great place to be and I wouldn’t mind spending more time there!

It was a “Who’s Who” collection of everyone who’s connected to pool in some way.

Met Greg Sullivan and got some insight into the IPT goings-on from him. Barry Behrman and his little doggy were there. Saw that Rob Sykora (BCn) and Pat Fleming (accu-stats) were there.

BTW – If anyone’s thinking about attending the next IPT tournament, there’s a rumor that it isn’t going to be in Orlando as the web site states, but will be in Las Vegas.

Eric.
12-07-2005, 03:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>BTW – If anyone’s thinking about attending the next IPT tournament, there’s a rumor that it isn’t going to be in Orlando as the web site states, but will be in Las Vegas. <hr /></blockquote>

Vegas, huh? Sounds tempting. I can think of worse places to be...

Eric