PDA

View Full Version : Sardo Tight Rack

hogg69
12-05-2005, 05:50 AM
I am thinking about buying a Sardo tight rack. I was wondering how many use it and its pros and cons? Is it really worth it? Thanks, Kurt.

SPetty
12-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Many here don't use it and don't like it, due to the fact that you have to "train" the table to use it. The training creates small indentations where the rack goes, much like what happens when someone taps too much on the head ball of a rack and you get a little "hole" in the table. With the Sardo, you have 9 or 15 little holes in your table, so many don't like that.

wolfdancer
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Seems to me that once you train the cloth...you don't even need the rack. I've mentioned before that I had a prototype rack, that did not do any damage, and the design was simplistic. It violated a patent though, and could not be manufactured.
Most racks get loose because either the balls are not uniform in diameter, or more likely, some are slightly
off balance. I don't tap endlessly....I just turn them to find their balance point.....or place the smaller ones in the back section of the grouping.
I've got a great set of super arimith's that almost rack themselves.....................

Cornerman
12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hogg69:</font><hr> I am thinking about buying a Sardo tight rack. I was wondering how many use it and its pros and cons? Is it really worth it? Thanks, Kurt. <hr /></blockquote>
The new M500 SARDO is lighter and allows you to see the balls easier. At $59.99 show special, I couldn't see myself not getting one.

There are a lot of things that I like about the new SARDO that you can't do with a regular rack, even after the cloth is "trained."

And, I checked the "divots." They're bad, but not as bad as a typical bar table. The head spot didn't have the abuse that's normally seen on many pool hall tables. Slow rolling a ball through the rack area looks like a nightmare, but I'll bet you any table will have similar reactions given the bumps and grooves a normal rack of balls create.

Fred &lt;~~~ sorry Troy

BigRigTom
12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I have the Sardo M3000 (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/sardotightrack.html) and I like it a lot. I have read all the stuff people have said about it causing a problem with the table but I think they exaggerate. I have used mine now for almost 2 years and I don't have the problems others claim they do.
I think in order to have a REAL problem you will have to rack an awful lot of times and it you rack that much you probably need to replace the cloth and it doesn't matter what kind of rack you are using.

Scott Lee
12-08-2005, 02:30 AM
I'm with Wolfdancer here. The Sardo bros. are GREAT people, and have done tons for the sport. However, their fancy rack does nothing that an ordinary good wood rack will do (if, as Wolfdancer notes, you know HOW to rack). The best wood racks can be had for 1/4 of the $60 Sardo. jmo

Cornerman
12-08-2005, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> However, their fancy rack does nothing that an ordinary good wood rack will do (if, as Wolfdancer notes, you know HOW to rack). <hr /></blockquote>

Now that I've tried the newest version, I can't agree with this in the least bit.

Fred

Rich R.
12-08-2005, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> However, their fancy rack does nothing that an ordinary good wood rack will do (if, as Wolfdancer notes, you know HOW to rack). <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> Now that I've tried the newest version, I can't agree with this in the least bit.<hr /></blockquote>
Fred, please elaborate. What does the new version do, that the old version did not?
Does it still require the field of craters in the cloth?

Cornerman
12-08-2005, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> Now that I've tried the newest version, I can't agree with this in the least bit.<hr /></blockquote>
Fred, please elaborate. What does the new version do, that the old version did not?
Does it still require the field of craters in the cloth? <hr /></blockquote> It does all the same things, but since it's lighter and easily handled, all of the things it does are easier to appreciate.

The big key is that as other people have said, once the cloth is "trained," you can use a normal rack.

Question is, without the SARDO, how do you easily train your cloth?

Also, the way the SARDO is designed, you can place the rack in the same position every time. And it just has to be close enough. No other rack has this feature, though anyone could do it by marking the rack.

If a person marks his rack, how do you load the rack? The SARDO is loaded from the rear, so you can put the rack in place and then load in the balls. My current method (awesome and sturdy Brianna rack) is to load the balls and then move the rack into position. To repeatedly place a normal rack into the same exact position without other aids/contraptions isn't easy. I can think of no easier way to guarantee that the rack in a repeated position without putting the rack in position first, then loading the balls, then not moving anything. Rather than vice versa. And, as we ALL have seen, by moving the rack forward, you create ruts that look like lines (5 across) running from the foot of the table to the foot spot.

Every rack will put divots in the table. If you never tap the balls, you will always get a dent in the foot spot. Why? Because the break taps the head ball. If you guarantee the same position of the rack, then you'll always have a repeatable head ball divot. If you don't gurantee the same position of the rack, then you will have multiple divots on the foot spot. This is the dreaded head ball roll off. No rack is divot-free, and no table is rut-free. Why? Because when you break, the ensuing spread of the balls automatically drive into the cloth.

Frankly, I don't believe anyone can rack the balls better than the SARDO can. I'd love to see WolfDancer's setup, but would it be any easier for production and the public than the SARDO???
The SARDO can be used on old beaten up cloth. Try that with any rack. The old divots are unmanageable. Your best bet is to put new divots. I have the MasterRack. This is a good rack, and would probably work wonders on new cloth. But, it doesn't do that well old cloth, where there are already bumps and bruises to roll the balls off.

Fred

iacas
12-08-2005, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> I'm with Wolfdancer here. The Sardo bros. are GREAT people, and have done tons for the sport. However, their fancy rack does nothing that an ordinary good wood rack will do (if, as Wolfdancer notes, you know HOW to rack). The best wood racks can be had for 1/4 of the $60 Sardo. jmo<hr /></blockquote>

So what's the proper way to rack?

Scott Lee
12-08-2005, 10:07 PM
iacas...I would agree with cloth wear like Fred described with rolling the balls (already in the wood rack) up to the foot spot, and there always being a foot spot ding (even if you never tap the head ball). However, imo, it's minor. The easiest way to rack, is to see where on the foot spot, the head balls "sits", and then just rack the balls tightly, with the head ball on that spot. There should be no 'roll off' from the head ball then. Works for me every time...again, this is jmo. If the Sardos have come up with a better version (works better and lots cheaper...the original 1st version Sardo rack was marketed at $300), then more power to them. As I said they are great guys, every one of them.

Scott Lee

Rich R.
12-09-2005, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the info Fred.

supercueman
12-11-2005, 10:04 AM
I won a Sardo rack at the Hopkins show 2 years ago... It works nice... But I use my solid oak rack that I got with my diamond pro table.. It racks just as tight and faster to rack...