PDA

View Full Version : Two questions on standard billiard rules

starmy5150
12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
My neighbor has a table in his basement and I have been playing there a little bit. We are in dispute about two rules.

#1 A claim is being made that on the break, if the cue ball is pocketed (a scratch on the break) the game is automatically counted as a loss, and the balls are re-racked.

#2 A claim is being made that not calling the pocket of the final 8 ball results in a loss of the game as well.

Realize that these are fairly loose house rules and the game is mostly being played for fun. On either question, I have not been able to come across any definative answers on-line. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Starmy5150

Bob_Jewett
12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote starmy5150:</font><hr> My neighbor has a table in his basement and I have been playing there a little bit. We are in dispute about two rules. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Your neighbor is wrong about both rules, more or less. A rule book costs about $10 and would make an ideal holiday present. The current rules are also available on-line at the BCA (Billiard Congress of America) web site, but a book is far more convenient to refer to table-side. Any billiard supply store -- not a general sports store -- or even Barnes &amp; Noble should have a current rule book.

A scratch on the break is not a loss. If you make the 8 in the obviously intended pocket, you win.

Bob_Jewett
12-07-2005, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote starmy5150:</font><hr> My neighbor has a table in his basement and I have been playing there a little bit. We are in dispute about two rules. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Your neighbor is wrong about both rules, more or less. A rule book costs about $10 and would make an ideal holiday present. The current rules are also available on-line at the BCA (Billiard Congress of America) web site, but a book is far more convenient to refer to table-side. Any billiard supply store -- not a general sports store -- or even Barnes &amp; Noble should have a current rule book.

A scratch on the break is not a loss. If you make the 8 in the obviously intended pocket, you win.

dr_dave
12-07-2005, 03:26 PM
FYI, a brief (3-page) summary based on the Official BCA rules, can be found online at:
www.engr.colostate.edu/pool/rules_summary.pdf (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/rules_summary.pdf)

Regards,
Dave

houseman
12-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Sounds like your friend has his own house rules, everywhere you go their will be a different set of rules in use. Always find out what the rules are before you play, saves a whole lot of unnecessary stress. House rules, tournament rules, bar rules, pool room rules, and gambling rules.

SPetty
12-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Billiards Congress of America rules:
Go here: http://www.bca-pool.com/play/ and then click on "GAME RULES" on the left for further links to World Standardized Rules, General Rules and 8-Ball Rules.

American Poolplayers Association:
Go here: http://www.poolplayers.com/materials.html and then click for the PDF rulebook.