PDA

View Full Version : George Rood, The Old Trapper

tateuts
12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
I received an old Palmer cue from Sam Engles, the casemaker out of Jackson, Tennesee. With it was a handwritted manuscript by Todd Recher about 91 year old George Rood. I was captivated by the well written tale. While I can't publish the manuscript (as much as I would love to), I can summarize and use excerpts.

Here's the story of The Old Trapper, the man who beat Mosconi. Enjoy!

http://www.palmercollector.com/RoodPage.html

Chris

Scott Lee
12-08-2005, 02:11 AM
Great story, Chris! Hope we get to see some more like that on your site!

Scott

ceebee
12-08-2005, 08:22 AM
After I started playing Pool again, I went to a tournament in Tulsa, OK. I got a Pool & Billiards magazine (November 1999) at the Camel Tournament & read the article about George Rood. I traced George Rood's whereabouts to Airway Billiards, in Dayton.

George & I made an appointment. I went to spend a week. Our meeting & my lessons are some of the highlights of my pool playing memories. George was absolutely a fantastic gentleman. Tod Recher is too... I met the Cookie Monster (Steve Cook) & others. George, at 84, I believe, played in the Tournament. There were probably 35 players, good ones. He won it. George said to me, "I tried to win it becaause you came to see me". George still smoked 'em. If all the balls were between the side pockets & the end rail, George got out.

I still have the Video I recorded & still practice the many shots George instructed me on. What a great man, among men.

tateuts
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
It's amazing a man that age could win a tournament - thanks CeeBee!

Chris

Bob_Jewett
12-12-2005, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> ... manuscript by Todd Recher about 91 year old George Rood. ... <hr /></blockquote>
George Rood has signed up to play in the Derby City Classic 3-cushion tournament. He is tentatively in the bracket with Jeanette Lee and Mark Griffin, which is Jan. 9-10-11 of the DCC. See http://www.derbycityclassic.com/ for more details.