PDA

View Full Version : Hand Inlays

tateuts
12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
I just got the story on how Palmer did their hand inlays and who handled which task. I hope you like it:

http://www.palmercollector.com/InlayPage.html

Chris

Cane
12-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Chris,
Great story! I wonder... are there any current cuemakers that still do their inlay work by hand or if everyone uses machines to cut the pockets?

Later,
Bob

DickLeonard
12-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Chris I always thought that Petey was the Brains of Palmer Cues but Ilona was the backbone of the Business.####

Brian in VA
12-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Wow Chris! Thanks for the page. I've done some inlays on a guitar I built and that was tough enough. I can't imagine the intricacy of doing it on a round surface. Really makes you appreciate the art of doing in years ago.

Brian in VA

tateuts
12-10-2005, 04:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Chris,
Great story! I wonder... are there any current cuemakers that still do their inlay work by hand or if everyone uses machines to cut the pockets?

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Bob,

Last I heard Paul Dayton still was.

These simple shapes made the Balner's job far easier, but their volume was very high.

chris

tateuts
12-10-2005, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Chris I always thought that Petey was the Brains of Palmer Cues but Ilona was the backbone of the Business.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick,

Eugene was the master cue maker, Ilona did the wraps, placed the inlays, and imprinted the name labels, and Peter was administrative, making sure they had the right supplies, and handling most of the business end of things.

Chris