PDA

View Full Version : Let the cue go???

Cueless Joey
06-27-2002, 11:28 AM
All this debate about dropping the elbow or not, why not just let the cue go? Cue should travel straight and you might never miscue ever for lack of follow thru, right?
Let the debat begin. LOL

PQQLK9
06-27-2002, 11:56 AM
It works for me...slip-stroke...Don "the preacher" Feeney says the hand should not GRIP the cue but HOLD it. I find that on real long shots my accuracy is superb using this method.

MikeM
06-27-2002, 12:09 PM
Last night the only way I could stay straight on long, straight shots was to let go of the cue. Worked very well too.

MM

PQQLK9
06-27-2002, 12:16 PM
Hi Mike...if it worked on those tables at Breakers it would work anywhere...wish they would cover a couple tables with Simonis...(I asked and he said no) .I used to live in Ashburn...next time I come up maybe we can hit a few.

06-27-2002, 12:19 PM
when you are gripping the cue it is ideal not to putany pressure on the cue at all.. there should be a little gap of light from the back of your palm to the cue.... when your arm goes forward that gap closes untill it has caused a wedge and that is what is supposed to stop the cue from shooting out of your hand. works very well for me

stickman
06-27-2002, 12:40 PM
I think they should do away with the cue, make the balls smaller, and we could flip them with our thumb, kind of like playing marbles. This would simplify the game a lot. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif LOL

9 Ball Girl
06-27-2002, 12:50 PM
Yeah, but then I'll have to spend a fortune on manicures! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

MikeM
06-27-2002, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I've asked Bob a few times too and he always says no, it attracts gamblers. He doesn't want any gambling at Breakers.

Let me know when your'e in Herndon, I'm always looking for an excuse to get to the Pool Hall!

MM

06-27-2002, 02:20 PM
don't let the cue go, it will likely fly right out of your hands and into the guy standing at the other end of the table.

[url=http://www.google.com/]Google[url]

Rod
06-27-2002, 08:27 PM
Joey, thats the way the game is played, your hand just goes along for the ride. That should happen with a drop or pendulum swing. It's just a way to describe how light the grip is on the cue. You don't actually throw the cue, but on some shots it doesn't make any difference. Anyone that is guilty of steering, a maneuver with your back hand, is likely to see an improvement in shot making, but it is limited on what you can do with the c/b.
Fran wrote an article in BD a couple of years ago on that very subject. The minute I saw the picture I knew what it was about. In the picture it shows the cue out of her hand.

06-28-2002, 09:50 AM
just curious rod limited in what way??? I find that i get a ton more action on the ball when im stroking this way and I often over exaggerate this method when im stroking poorly to get back into rythym. Not sure where you would find this stroke lacking.

06-28-2002, 10:48 AM
If I didn't know better, I'd swear this Anonymous post came from Allen Hopkins.

Why, you ask? Because this happened to him....and I was the culprit.

My local PH was having a grand opening; scheduled Allen to do an exhibition. Part of the deal is giving locals a chance to play him. I was very nervous....only a D player at the time with a terribly weak break. Much to my chagrin, I was selected to play him FIRST.

My head was crowded with these thoughts: just hold the cue loose, get a good follow through so the break will be a decent one. I got up to the table, the voices getting more insistent---loose break, follow through. I broke....and promptly released the cue, which went SAILING toward the left of the table up in the air (like a slow motion play on the NFL) and WHACKED Allen, Dawn, and my room owner.

I was never so horrified in all my life! Talk about humiliation. To this day, when that story comes up, we all get a huge laugh!

PQQLK9
06-28-2002, 10:59 AM
So how did you shoot afterwards?

06-28-2002, 11:22 AM
Surprisingly enough, I played fairly well after that.

I relaxed after that....I figured it would be hard to embarrass myself through my playing ability any more than I already had through that fiasco. :-)

06-28-2002, 11:24 AM
Surprisingly enough, I played fairly well after that.

I relaxed after that....I figured it would be hard to embarrass myself through my playing ability any more than I already had through that fiasco. :-)

9 Ball Girl
06-28-2002, 11:52 AM
That's one way to "break" the ice! /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif