PDA

View Full Version : White men can't jump?

sack316
12-12-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm bored so hence the clver little title, which really has little significance to the post... but when else could I use that reference?

Anyway, I finally got a jump/break cue (a McDermott sp?). I love it! And for the first time I can actually jump more than half a ball, and can actually get some good distance/accuracy. The problem is that I generally can only do it well when the cue ball is closer to a rail and I can get up over the ball comfortably. I'm fairly short, so when the cue ball is out further I can't seem to get on it well enough to jump decently, so I've been kicking or using masse when given such a shot.

Any advice for a short guy on jumping when I have to stretch out a little further? Or is that just a limitation I'll have to deal with?

Sack

Rich R.
12-12-2005, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> Any advice for a short guy on jumping when I have to stretch out a little further? Or is that just a limitation I'll have to deal with?<hr /></blockquote>Use a "dart" stroke, instead of the standard underhand stroke.

Deeman3
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Sack,

It might help to place your hand a little further back on the cue (grip hand). The suggestion of useing a dart stroke is true, you just have to really whip your wrist through the shot if you are streched out.

Deeman

supergreenman
12-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Get your ass on the table, and as close and square to the cb as possible. I've been known to plant my whole knee up on the table when jumping. It's legal as long as you have a foot on the ground and don't iterfere with the other balls.

J

Rich R.
12-12-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> Get your ass on the table, and as close and square to the cb as possible. I've been known to plant my whole knee up on the table when jumping. It's legal as long as you have a foot on the ground and don't iterfere with the other balls. <hr /></blockquote>
Please read the original post again. Sack said he is fairly short. From experience, I can tell you that your method is dificult, if not impossible, for any one under 6'.

supergreenman
12-12-2005, 11:31 AM
I apologize to all the vertically challenged people out there for my last post. I guess you're hooped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

James

Rich R.
12-12-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> I apologize to all the vertically challenged people out there for my last post. I guess you're hooped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Apology accepted, but not necessary. The dart stroke works very well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PHJ314
12-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Personally I can relate to the height deficit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If I have to stretch to jump, and it doesn't feel right...I look for the kick. Actually I always look for the kick first, unless it's an obvious jump shot.

Snapshot9
12-12-2005, 01:44 PM
I am 5'7" and I have that problem too with jumping, plus I do not practice the dart style (Pool rooms don't allow practice of jump shots except right before recovering tables) so I have not even come close to perfecting it. I do, however, jump pretty well using the stroke style. Reaching onto the table for a jump is very limiting to me, perhaps only enough where my jump cue doesn't quite have enough vertical angle to make the jump, I mean my tiptoes only work so far ... lol
I, to be honest, have not seen many players at all that are accurate with the dart style as far as making the bell unless it is right before a pocket. Many can hit the ball, but not very many at all make the ball, which is okay for me because I usually get ball in hand and get out. BUT YES, I SUFFER WITH THESE JUMP PROBLEMS TOO.

sack316
12-13-2005, 02:36 AM
thanks everyone for your thoughts! Guess I have a few things to try to work on to see if they work for me.

Also thanks to my fellow vertically challenged folks (I'm also around 5'7") for chiming in and representing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack

mworkman
12-13-2005, 04:48 AM
I use the dart stroke also. When I put a pause on the backstroke before trusting forward, it made a big difference.

Rich R.
12-13-2005, 07:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> Also thanks to my fellow vertically challenged folks (I'm also around 5'7") for chiming in and representing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Sack, you don't really have to be "vertically challenged" to use the dart stroke. Although I am not close to being a basketball player, I am a few inches taller than you. However, I have a little problem with my shoulder that makes jacking up to shoot jump shots extremely uncomfortable. That is why I use the dart stroke.
I have also seen several taller players using the dart stroke.
The dart stroke is simply an alternative. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

supergreenman
12-13-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> Also thanks to my fellow vertically challenged folks (I'm also around 5'7") for chiming in and representing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack <hr /></blockquote>

Ok all you short people out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif just because you're short doesn't mean you have the copyright on the dart stroke. I'll use the dart stroke when I'm faced with a jump that's a little farther down the table, but that's my second choice of shots. I'd much rather shoot jacked up, I feel you have much better control and aim.

P.S. I know of a very attractive short woman that jumps using a jacked up stroke. Food for thought, perhaps vertically challanged isn't so challanged after all /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James

PHJ314
12-13-2005, 08:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> Also thanks to my fellow vertically challenged folks (I'm also around 5'7") for chiming in and representing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sack <hr /></blockquote>

Ok all you short people out there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif just because you're short doesn't mean you have the copyright on the dart stroke. I'll use the dart stroke when I'm faced with a jump that's a little farther down the table, but that's my second choice of shots. I'd much rather shoot jacked up, I feel you have much better control and aim.

P.S. I know of a very attractive short woman that jumps using a jacked up stroke. Food for thought, perhaps vertically challanged isn't so challanged after all /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

James <hr /></blockquote>

With the cue ball closer to the middle of the table I doubt she'd be able to jack up for a jump...or maybe she can, must have something to do with her being attractive... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

supergreenman
12-13-2005, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PHJ314:</font><hr> With the cue ball closer to the middle of the table I doubt she'd be able to jack up for a jump...or maybe she can, must have something to do with her being attractive... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

You might be on to something, I sure don't mind seeing her on the table /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Scott Lee
12-13-2005, 10:10 AM
sack...Whether you use a conventional underhand, jacked up stroke, or a dart stroke, is more dependent on how close the CB is to the obstruction you want to jump. The closer it is, the easier (and imo more necessary) it is to jump with a dart stroke.

Scott Lee

sack316
12-13-2005, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> sack...Whether you use a conventional underhand, jacked up stroke, or a dart stroke, is more dependent on how close the CB is to the obstruction you want to jump. The closer it is, the easier (and imo more necessary) it is to jump with a dart stroke.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for that Scott (as well as all others who gave advice). Out of curiosity, what is the difference as far as physics go with the dart stroke vs. the underhanded stroke? Also is said difference a result of a difference in wrist motion between the two?

Scott Lee
12-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Johnny...I've seen some expert jumpers use the conventional underhand stroke on some very close jumpshots, but for the average person, the dart stroke will work better, for close up shots (jumping over an OB that is less than a foot from the CB). The dart stroke is almost all wrist, where the normal underhand stroke utilizes both forearm and wrist. The dart stroke is pretty easy to learn, and can become very consistent.

Scott Lee