PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO TELL IF A POST HAS BEEN READ

Troy
02-17-2002, 03:33 PM
If I open a post it changes from light blue to black. So far, so good. However, when I return to the board later, ALL PREVIOUSLY READ POSTS ARE AGAIN LIGHT BLUE !!! Now I can NOT tell which have been read and which have not.

Troy...~~~ This ain't fun. BRING BACK THE OLD FORMAT !!!!!

heater451
02-17-2002, 05:03 PM
I'm using IE5.1 right now, with cookies enabled, and my 'previously visited' links seem fine.

Barbara
02-17-2002, 05:13 PM
Troy, that has to be THE most annoying feature of this board. I've been going back and forth from Ed's site and I really don't care for this format. It was hard enough to keep up with the posts, now I can't remember which ones I've read from 2 hours ago because they've gone to "unread" status.

And pages?? I have to select a page if I want to view messages this board? Get real!!

Also, I have to login with a password if I want to post under my name. They want me to put up info about myself?? I don't think so. No offense, Mike Howerton, but this format is why I don't post at your site, either.

I'll bet ya Ed Mercier's doing a jig right now and smiling while he's saying to himself, "BD screwed up! BD screwed up!!".

Barbara~~~see y'all at Ed's site...

02-17-2002, 09:58 PM
Barbara wrote:

"Also, I have to login with a password if I want to post under my name. They want me to put up info about myself?? I don't think so."

Barbara, what information did you have to write in about yourself? I had no problem registering with just my name. A lot of the more intrusive fields can just be left blank.

I hope you'll stay! :-)

- Steve

clarence
02-19-2002, 04:00 AM
im registered and Ive not touch my computer settings on cookies but it just does not work in this site for me. On other boards it remembers and highlights in a different color the messages Ive seen in the past. I know it recognizes me be cause even without logging in such as now , when I click on reply to write this message it automatically knows and puts my username " clarence" .
Hope they fix the problem soon

CarolNYC
02-19-2002, 06:14 AM
Hey Barb,
The log-in feature is for your protection, if you think about it-no one can post under your name, not that I've seen it done on this board, but on a board I use to visit, someone was posting under my name which really irritated me! If you do not log-in, it just comes up anonymous-also, after I've read a post, its underlined!

heater451
02-19-2002, 10:11 AM
You're right. . . .I am now having the same problem, at least with this server session. I could tell what I had read all day yesterday, but after booting this morning, everything has been reset.

I have sent a message to the Admin, askin about it.

Ken
02-19-2002, 10:26 AM
Barbara, You've been posting under your name here just like before so I don't understand your complaint. I can post under your name and everyone else can at playpool. Here you can reserve your name for yourself. You don't have to give out any personal information just set up an e-mail address at some free site for BD to notify you that you've been registered.

If you register and set your preferences right this site is a breeze to use. All the new posts come up on the first page and there's another page of posts that you won't need to go to (not 5 pages).

There's even a bit of serious pool discussion among the "I can do this and you can't" posts. I wish all the serious pool posters would go to playpool and let the techno-weenies play here but it ain't gonna happen. Playpool is already dead.

Troy
02-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Playpool is dead ???? A seriously flawed statement since they are getting more posts now than ever and most of those new posts are from ex-CCB people.

02-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Carol... Loging-in does NOT prevent someone from using your name. Posting as "anonymous", I changed the name to your login name, I just added a space.

Troy

cheesemouse
02-19-2002, 11:50 AM
http://www.egri.co.uk/smileys/snooze.gif Ya OK!!!!!

Ken
02-19-2002, 12:10 PM
Yes there was a flash in the pan. Make no mistake about it, I wanted the serious posters to go to playpool. There has been one post there in the last twelve hours and very few in the hours preceeding that. CCB went on all night and probably had a hundred in the same time period. Playpool probably got an extra 500 views in the period that the CCB got 12,000.

Brady's post about the radio show had ten times the views and a discussion thread at CCB. No comment at all at playpool. Yes it's dead and I'm not happy about it, it's just the truth. Now that I've tried it for a while I see that the CCB format is much better. I don't have to scroll all the way down to see if there is a new post somewhere and here I can edit my post to add something.

OK, I see now that a couple more new posts have appeared there. I thought my 'puter was broke, I kept refreshing and nothing new came up.

SPetty
02-19-2002, 12:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Playpool probably got an extra 500 views in the period that the CCB got 12,000.

<hr></blockquote>

Ken,

Where would you get that info?

Ken
02-19-2002, 12:52 PM
I made a real rough estimate by scrolling down and observing "that's about a thousand" and so on. It looked like about 12. On playpool I went down the big flurry of messages and said "that's about a hundred" etc. I could be off by a factor of two. The numbers are there and could be totaled up but I didn't do that and didn't look for any real totals anywhere.

02-19-2002, 03:29 PM
C'mon Barbara, don't give up yet. the pix, and icons, etc are already a plus. Ed's got a fine site but we can't just turn you over to them, without some compensation; say three of his best posters?

CarolNYC
02-19-2002, 04:14 PM
Troy,
That is so funny,but see, that space means alot-it still is not me-were you able to post without the space?
carol

Troy
02-19-2002, 05:45 PM
{copy text}
Troy,
That is so funny,but see, that space means alot-it still is not me-were you able to post without the space?
carol
{end copy}

No Carol, when I tried to enter your name as "CarolNYC" without the space, the system told me I was not you.
Smart system.....

Troy

CarolNYC
02-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Hi Troy,
Well, I am glad you did that-at least we know it works!:)
Thanks!
Carol