PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Race to 1000

nAz
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi all, I was planning a match with a friend that actually loves 14.1 over 9B, race to a 1000 points over a five week period. I figure 2 matches a week race to a 100 points should do it, loser pays the check of every match. first to get 1000 point wins $200. just wondering if anyone one has ever done something similar and if there are any suggestion on improving the set up.
thanks

Chopstick
12-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Sounds great. I'd play if I was there. Everybody post a $100, alternate opponents every match to 100 and first to 1000 claims the pool.

Bob_Jewett
12-12-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>... . just wondering if anyone one has ever done something similar and if there are any suggestion on improving the set up.
thanks <hr /></blockquote>
Long-race 14.1 used to be the way that championship challenge matches were run. In those matches, they would mark the positions of the balls just before reracking, and resume later in the same position.

Maybe you don't want to restart in the same position, but it might be better to play to a certain time limit. Say that 8PM ends the match. No stalling.

Fran Crimi
12-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Sounds like fun and your format sounds good. The only thing that could be a problem is if you're going into your last game and one player is more than 100 points ahead. It wouldn't pay to play the last game. Maybe you could bet on the point difference as well, like $100 for the win and $1 for each point the winner wins by.

One last thing...this is just a pet peeve of mine... could you please call it a '1000 point game' instead of a race to 1000? Technically, you are racing to 1000 points but in classic 14.1 tradition it's called a 1000 or a 100 point game.

Fran

TedKaufman
12-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. My friends and I, when we were in college, used to have marathon straight pool matches where we played from 9am till midnight--one continuous game with a running total. It was great fun.

I think the you guys have it set up sounds even better. Should be great.

shakeybake
12-12-2005, 02:38 PM
Fran,

You are exactly correct. Straight pool is "played" to a certain number of points! 9b seems to be taking over even the "mother of all games".

houseman
12-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I once played a friend to 500 points, 100 point matches, 5 days in a row for $1.00 per point.
I ended up winning $134.00 and we both enjoyed it.

nAz
12-12-2005, 09:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
Long-race 14.1 used to be the way that championship challenge matches were run. In those matches, they would mark the positions of the balls just before reracking, and resume later in the same position.

Maybe you don't want to restart in the same position, but it might be better to play to a certain time limit. Say that 8PM ends the match. No stalling. <hr /></blockquote>

good idea i think i will suggest this to my opponent and see what he thinks. I am also thinking of getting a chart made up to keep track of my runs while im at it.

nAz
12-12-2005, 09:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Sounds like fun and your format sounds good. The only thing that could be a problem is if you're going into your last game and one player is more than 100 points ahead. It wouldn't pay to play the last game. Maybe you could bet on the point difference as well, like $100 for the win and $1 for each point the winner wins by.
Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran that is something i did not think of, and I think that is the way to go in case that scenario does happen.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>One last thing...this is just a pet peeve of mine... could you please call it a '1000 point game' instead of a race to 1000? Technically, you are racing to 1000 points but in classic 14.1 tradition it's called a 1000 or a 100 point game.<hr /></blockquote>

no problem i will keep tradition alive /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
12-12-2005, 09:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TedKaufman:</font><hr> Sounds like a lot of fun. My friends and I, when we were in college, used to have marathon straight pool matches where we played from 9am till midnight--one continuous game with a running total. It was great fun. <hr /></blockquote>

Man thats a long day of pool not much time for study huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nAz
12-12-2005, 09:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> I once played a friend to 500 points, 100 point matches, 5 days in a row for $1.00 per point.
I ended up winning $134.00 and we both enjoyed it. <hr /></blockquote>

and yet another good idea... thanks

cueball1950
12-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Naz... I would like to see it done this way. Eacd day you play to 200 pts. at $.15 a point.($30.) the next day you play 200 points for $.20 a point.($40) then the 3rd day you play 200 points for $.30 a point(60.) and on the 4th day you play for $.40 per point(80.) and on the last day you can play the last 200 points for $.50 ($100.) i know the total comes to just over $300.00 but if you go back and forth each day it can get pretty exciting.........mike
a point.....would be a nice little piece of change for the taking. but bring a calculator for the adding and subtracting

Tom_In_Cincy
12-12-2005, 10:16 PM
How about sharing the weekly race results?

Good luck and I've always like long running contests.

mworkman
12-13-2005, 06:57 AM
I like long races also. I played a friend of mine a race to 100 in 8-ball to decide who would buy the next keg (he has a kegerator). This took several weeks and was many years ago. I still give him crap about it being that I won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman3
12-13-2005, 07:15 AM
O.K. Tom,

I'm calling you out for a 1000 point game, long distance. You just broke pretty safe but I made one out of the pack and ran 12. You have a long straight in and an easy two balls with a perfect break out ball near the foot spot if you drill the long one.

Your turn....

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
12-13-2005, 07:15 AM
Naz I played one 800 point match with nameless opponent. 4 games of 200 but player clears table and the next match starts with him at the table shooting marked shot. When the final match started I needed 362 to opponents 197.

In the final match I scored 362 to opponents 194 so it is possible to overcome a large deficit.####

Rich R.
12-13-2005, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> I like long races also. I played a friend of mine a race to 100 in 8-ball to decide who would buy the next keg (he has a kegerator). This took several weeks and was many years ago. I still give him crap about it being that I won. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
And who bought the two kegs necessary during the several weeks it took to play the match? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
12-13-2005, 10:17 AM
3+ hours later, after drilling the long "straight in" and easily continuing into the next rack and so on and so on, I am up 210 to 12.

I made the 15th ball (called safe), it got spotted and it's your turn with the CB stuck on the rail in the Hudson.

Deeman3
12-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Tom,

I pushed to an intentional foul, then made motioned toward Bruno, the big burley guy in the corner, to go get the "guys".

210-12

houseman
12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
here is a link to a 14-1 score sheet done in excel
http://www.playpool.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&amp;cid=2

Chopstick
12-13-2005, 02:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Tom,

I pushed to an intentional foul, then made motioned toward Bruno, the big burley guy in the corner, to go get the "guys".

210-12 <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Careful Tom. I've met "The Guys" </font color>

http://newjakehomepage.tripod.com/badsesame.jpg

Eric.
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> Hi all, I was planning a match with a friend that actually loves 14.1 over 9B, race to a 1000 points over a five week period. I figure 2 matches a week race to a 100 points should do it, loser pays the check of every match. first to get 1000 point wins $200. just wondering if anyone one has ever done something similar and if there are any suggestion on improving the set up.
thanks <hr /></blockquote>

Ahhhhh, just flip a coin for it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like fun, let us know how it goes.

Eric

TedKaufman
12-14-2005, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TedKaufman:</font><hr> Sounds like a lot of fun. My friends and I, when we were in college, used to have marathon straight pool matches where we played from 9am till midnight--one continuous game with a running total. It was great fun. <hr /></blockquote>

Man thats a long day of pool not much time for study huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well, mostly we did the marathons on Saturdays and Sundays. That said, however, my father always chided me that I majored in pool not engineering.