PDA

View Full Version : Jones v. Seigel, give me a break

Alaskan_Pool
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I imagine some of you also just finished watching Jones v. Siegel on ESPN. Pure gimmick. The women now could at least make a decent showing. Corr or Fisher could could give anyone a run for his money in one match. Jones v. Seigel. What a joke. The difference is that the top women of today have made huge strides in closing the gap. But back in the seventies the top men were killers (just like they are now) whereas the women played many notches below (putting aside Jean Balukas).

I love the fact that this may inject some life into pool as a real televised sport. I also love that they didn't have that clueless ass, Lawrence doing the commentary. But why couldn't they have come up with a real game instead of the charade we just witnessed? They might as well have have given Seigel the 75k before they started, or if they wanted to even the playing field, maybe broken his left arm.

Any thoughts?

Bob_Jewett
12-12-2005, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alaskan_Pool:</font><hr> ... Any thoughts? <hr /></blockquote>
There are several good mixed matches available from the KotH tournament, including Corr v. van den Berg which was on the TV table. There's also the match in the first round where Gerda knocked Earl Strickland out of the tournament (hill-hill), but I don't know if it was on the TV table.

The report is that even Jones v. Sigel got good ratings.

sneakypapi
12-12-2005, 09:33 PM
First of all that was not an ESPN production it was on Fox Sportsnet, so it was not Mitch Lawrence commentating. Also, it was $150,000 for first and $75,000 for second. That event was to launch the IPT tour, I thought it was more hype and gimmick than real pool, but it was the first event so the bugs must be worked out to make it an enduring "real" pool event. I agree with you on the fact that women players have come a long way, I remember even back in the early 90's the women players were not even close to the men. Today, the best women can give any male a real run for their money i.e. Fischer, Corr.

sack316
12-13-2005, 02:28 AM
I think the "pilot" match so to speak was both good in theory and served it's purpose as well. Obviously it could have been a closer matchup, but I think they were more or less going for the billing of the names to kick things off and garner some interest... which it did!

They were able to take two hall of famers, pit them against each other, and advertise a huge prize pool alongside the "man vs. woman" thing. Sure I agree that Loree didn't stand much of a chance, but I think overall they did what they were trying to do for the first event to get the ball rolling.

Sack

Fran Crimi
12-13-2005, 09:05 AM
I think you're being too hard on Loree Jon. It isn't her fault that this opportunity came along at this point in her career. I've watched her run rack after rack in 9 ball over the years, and to perfection. I can't see how any man could have run those racks any better. She dominated the women's pro tour, not because she didn't have any competition, but because she played jam-up pool back in those days. She's a hundred ball runner in 14.1 and that's nothing to balk at.

It just so happens that she hasn't been competing and her focus hasn't been so much on playing lately. So, what was she supposed to do when she was offered this opportunity? Should she have turned it down?

She earned that right to be there, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks.

Fran

Brian in VA
12-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Fran,

Tap, Tap, Tap!

Brian in VA

Rich R.
12-13-2005, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> So, what was she supposed to do when she was offered this opportunity? Should she have turned it down?

She earned that right to be there, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks. <hr /></blockquote>
Loree Jon had a long and distinguished, although underpaid, career. There is no way she should have turned down the biggest payday of her career. That would have been crazy.

I only wish she could have settled down. I think she could have given Mike a run for the top money.

sidepocketsam
12-13-2005, 12:00 PM
If you're complaining that Loree Jon isn't the best female player out there, I'll counter and say that Seigel isn't the best male player out there so what difference does it make?