PDA

View Full Version : Old People

Drop1
12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
We have 36 million people over the age of 65,and the 1960 boomers are coming up in 2006. There are few plans,as how to take care of this proplem,and for the first time in history, the President will not be attending The White House Conference on Aging. I turn 65 tomorrow- hey buddy can you spare a dime.

Alfie
12-12-2005, 11:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> We have 36 million people over the age of 65,and the 1960 boomers are coming up in 2006. There are few plans,as how to take care of this proplem,... <hr /></blockquote>soylent green

pooltchr
12-13-2005, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> We have 36 million people over the age of 65,and the 1960 boomers are coming up in 2006. There are few plans,as how to take care of this proplem,and for the first time in history, the President will not be attending The White House Conference on Aging. I turn 65 tomorrow- hey buddy can you spare a dime. <hr /></blockquote>

This is something that obviously wasn't considered when the social insecurity program was started. And everyone in office is afraid to touch it to try and fix it because it's a political time bomb.

On the other hand, it was never the responsibility of the government to "take care" of everyone in the country when they turn 65. Social security was supposed to help, but not be the ultimate savior of those who didn't plan for retirement.

I think the more important question is "What are those people who will be turning 65 do to take care of themselves?"

OK, I'm ready for all the libs to jump all over that one!
Steve

dg-in-centralpa
12-13-2005, 09:03 AM
I agree. ROTFLMAO

DG

supergreenman
12-13-2005, 09:07 AM
in his best Homer Simpson voice "MMMMMmmmMmmmMmmMmmmmm Soylent Green" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SPetty
12-13-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> We have 36 million people over the age of 65,and the 1960 boomers are coming up in 2006.
I turn 65 tomorrow- <hr /></blockquote>Happy Birthday!

The 1960 boomers won't be 65 until the year 2025... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Drop1
12-13-2005, 11:39 AM
You are right S.S. was never intended to be other than a supplement to a carefully crafted retirement plan. I have enough clients to last another 65 years,and not worry. I plan to reject S.S. because I don't need it. There are a lot of people that do need it,and need more especially as age takes its toll in the form of age related diseases. The other thing we should consider is 80% of the jobs in America are in the service sector,makes you wonder where manufacturing went. By 2010 half the population will be 40 years old,or older. You don't have to be too bright to understand S.S. and that set of problems is only the tip of the iceberg. Wal-Mart pays on average $8.00 an hour,and is a net cost to most small communities,because the majority of employees qualify for low income social relief. So what is the real price of Social Security,and the race to the bottom.

Drop1
12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Well thank you. I hope I will be around to wish you a happy 65th.

Chopstick
12-13-2005, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr>
OK, I'm ready for all the libs to jump all over that one!
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

As the libs have already explained in detail there is nothing wrong with SS and any attempt by the first administration in history to try and do something about it is just a profiteering scheme for their buddies. So we don't have to worry about it. The lefties have us covered.

Drop1
12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. And now we are on the way to hell in a big way. Have you decided to do your own tax return this year,or have your Accountant send it to India? Get the drift of where and why we need to quit playing the Right,or Left, game,but start thinking about how the road is being paved.

Fran Crimi
12-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Happy Birthday. Hope you do it up big! Have you seen the movie 'Going in Style?"

Anyway, I'm petrified of our present nursing home situation. The elderly are not being properly looked after and they have to give up everything they own to pay $6-10 thousand a month to be mistreated and abused by uncaring help. It's so screwed up, it's beyond repair. My aunt tried to get herself some home care insurance. The rates were so astronomical that she couldn't afford it. It was something like $15,000 a year in premium payments if your under 60. If you're over 60, you can fugghedaboudit.

Fran

Drop1
12-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Thank you Fran: I had a good day and look forward to the next. No I never saw the movie,but I like the tittle. I can appreciate your comments on housing for the elderly. Getting old is an expensive process,and only fifty percent of todays work force has a fixed pension program. They will end up on Social Security as their only source of income. One recent proposal was to allow a worker to take their pension with them when they moved to a new job. I think the age people are made to retire,should be increased,barring illness. There is no way to pedict the cost of medical care in the future,but it is a for profit business often supported by grants and other forms of Federal money. It has been said,"the best way to judge a society, is how it treats it's elerly." I think we have adopted the warehouse approach,and with the shrinking tax base from a shrinking middle class,that will remain our approach.

onepocketfanatic
12-14-2005, 12:59 AM
One thing for sure. The fat cats in Washington....all of them....don't have to worry about SS that is for sure. With their cushy retirement program and benefits why should they care. Just keep passing the buck to the next crooks coming down the election highway....same thing for the deficit...just keep passing it to the next idiot elected .