PDA

View Full Version : rule clarification

broomie
12-13-2005, 08:01 AM
here's a situation that someone in my league encountered last week. I am looking for clarification on the points awarded. A player breaks (8-ball), sinks a solid and a stripe. While shooting his next shot he sinks a stripe and the cue caroms off and sinks the 8-ball. Using the 1 point for every ball down scoring system, should he be awarded 1 point or 2? I said 1 because technically the table is still open. Am I correct??

randyg
12-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Under what rules do you play??????

Scott Lee
12-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Sounds like broomie is playing VNEA rules. In this situation, the player had legally pocketed the 2nd stripe (making stripes his side), before caroming off another ball and pocketing the 8...which is loss of game. So he would be awarded 2 points, to the opponents's 10 points for the win.

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
12-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Interesting!
Although the second striped ball was made, was it made on a 'legal' shot? since the 8 ball went in and the game ended? foul or loss of game would this be considered 'legal' shot?

My opinion... second ball was not made with a legal shot, loser gets only ONE point.

Where are all the refs when you need them?

dg-in-centralpa
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I agree with you Scott. This does sound like VNEA.

DG

Snapshot9
12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
The shot upon where the foul was commited is null and void
for any points scored. He should only get 1 point.

Cornerman
12-13-2005, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote broomie:</font><hr> here's a situation that someone in my league encountered last week. I am looking for clarification on the points awarded. A player breaks (8-ball), sinks a solid and a stripe. While shooting his next shot he sinks a stripe and the cue caroms off and sinks the 8-ball. Using the 1 point for every ball down scoring system, should he be awarded 1 point or 2? I said 1 because technically the table is still open. Am I correct?? <hr /></blockquote>This discussion has come up in all the leagues that use a 10-pt system with an open table after the break. I think our league director decided that since the player had never established a set of balls, then he isn't entitled to any of the points. So, 10-0 for the opponent.

Fred

sidepocketsam
12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
This came up years ago in a VNEA league I played in and I never did find a definitive answer.

But I'd like to throw a 3rd option out there. ZERO points. How can you give them one or two when the table is still open and the game is over? But Zero makes sense to be consistent with the 8 ball on the break scoring system. If an 8 ball is made on the break, whether scratch or not, the score is 10-0 even if the player pockets all 15 balls on the break.

broomie
12-13-2005, 12:38 PM
Actually we use BCA rules and the 0 points option was also thrown around as well, but with a lot of resistance. IMHO, 0 or 1 point are the only 2 options as the last ball potted was not on a legal shot, and neither opponent can lay claim to either the spots or the stripes because the table is still open.

pigbrain
12-13-2005, 11:04 PM
IMO,the shot sinking a stripe and the 8 is a legal shot. so he lose the game. it is no a open table any more.

supergreenman
12-13-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm down for one point, he would have got that if he had missed his first shot and his opponent had run the table out. I can't reconcile calling the second stripe he sank a legal shot if he sank the 8. It's legal or it's not, sinking the 8 out of turn is a game losing foul and therefore not a legal shot.

Just my $.02

James

randyg
12-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Our Local BCA League uses the 10 point scoring in their Handicap Divisions.

If that scenario would have happened here the result would be ZERO points. Officially the table is still open, neither player established their group of balls by making a legal shot....randyg