PDA

View Full Version : More on Jones vs. Sigel

loyter
12-13-2005, 02:08 PM
First of all, the TV coverage by Fox was horrible! I hate pool on TV, because all you ever see is the player making the last ball and then the 8 (or the 9 or whatever the game is)

Second, the guy doing the color commentary was horrible. I guess he did his job, which was hyping up the match. Sure it was gimmicky, but the idea is great. I love the idea of men v women. Too bad it wasn't Allison Fisher against one of the men in 9-ball.

Anyway, later in the broadcast, the commentator mentioned that the table they were playing on had 4 1/2" pockets instead of the 5 or 5 1/2" pockets the "pros" use. Can any of you tell me if there is any truth to this? What is the standard?

They also mentioned that the IPT was going to make use of traditional, slow-roll felt. Would that be slow-roll 860 Simonis or something like the cheap stuff you get when you buy your table at the hot-tub store?

Tom_In_Cincy
12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Haven't seen it, don't care to see it.

It was all a staged marketing hype for the 1st KOTH with the 13 HOF cast and 30 great pool players.

Bad Commentary has a great solution... turn the sound OFF.
Or, if you are in need of their explaination of what it going on... I guess you're stuck with them.

What would you have done to improve the commentary? Any suggestions on who would do it better?

4 inch pockets are tight compared to a lot of the current pro (men and women) events.

Simonis 860 is not a nappy 'slow roll' cloth. Never was, never will be.

Simonis was introduced by Diamond tables (Greg Sullivan)in the late 80s. Lots of pool rooms switched to Simois for their tables afterwards.

Most bar box tables are covered in the slow nappy cloth. It (slow nappy cloth) last longer (supposedly) than Simonis, but I've heard different.

Brian in VA
12-14-2005, 06:01 AM
Loyter,

You seem to have a lot of questions. May I respectfully suggest a visit to www.internationalpooltour.com (http://www.internationalpooltour.com)? Most, if not all, of your questions will be answered by a visit. The commentator you mentioned, actually there were two doing "color" was probably Kevin Trudeau who is the founder of the tour. The first one was Kim Davenport.

Brian in VA

thecardman
12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>What would you have done to improve the commentary? Any suggestions on who would do it better?<hr /></blockquote>
When anyone answers a question like this, you have to remember that the person has to be able to communicate the difficulty and pressure on a particular shot to non-players - the people who may watch something because it is on but not necessarily play. In my opinion, Jim Wych and Jerry Forsythe are excellent at that. He can allow a lay person understand what is supposed to happen with a shot even if they've never picked a cue up in their life.

Please note that this opinion is taken from conversations I've had with people in the UK who are not pool players, but enjoy watching snooker, pool, etc on TV and so are only based on those commentators that they have heard. One thing's for sure, they cannot stand Mitch Lawrence!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

loyter
12-14-2005, 09:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Loyter,

You seem to have a lot of questions.
Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, there are only 2 questions. I guess that if you want to get technical, there are 3, but one is more of a combo question that I am counting as one.

Now that I have read the thread, I do have one more question: Is there some prevailing discontent with this new tour on this message board? Personally, I applaud any effort to get the game some pub.

Rich R.
12-14-2005, 09:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> Now that I have read the thread, I do have one more question: Is there some prevailing discontent with this new tour on this message board? Personally, I applaud any effort to get the game some pub. <hr /></blockquote>
There are some people, both on and off of the forums, who will never be satisfied with anything that anybody does to advance the popularity of pool.
Personally, I'm with you. I applaud the IPT, and KT, for their efforts and I wish them much success.
Any success they have, will eventually benefit all pool players, through better tournaments, better leagues and better pool rooms, because of the increased popularity.

Brian in VA
12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
loyter,
I, too, applaud anything that will move this great game forward and I believe that the IPT provides the best chance of that happening.

Not sure why there is so little discussion about the IPT on this board although one could surmise it's because it was discussed a great deal about 60 days or so ago. At that time, I found it fascinating how polarizing the IPT was to members on this board. Perhaps it's that polarizaton that is keeping people from discussing it further and spreading discontent. If the IPT is as successful as I think it's going to be, the tour will become a natural part of the board's discussions. If not, it will provide some with the opportunity to say "I told you so." to the rest of us.

I suggested you look at the IPT web site to save you having to dig back through the pages of discussion that took place in the past. If I offended you with that, I apologize. I was simply trying to save you some time.

I can tell you that there are a great many more discussions on the IPT on AZ Billiards forums.

Regards,
Brian in VA