PDA

View Full Version : what is a "chinese snooker"?

pigbrain
12-13-2005, 06:27 PM
who knows what is a chinese snooker exact mean? and why it is called chinese snooker?

Snapshot9
12-13-2005, 07:29 PM
I am not absolutely positive, but I think it is when you are
snooked, or hooked on 3 different sides of the ball, which in most cases prevents the player from being able to hit the object ball unless he can use lots of english. Not sure though.

For example, roll up behind 2 balls adjacent to each other
(90 degree angle) with a rail on the other side therefore
leaving the only shot straight down the rail towards a
pocket.

!XO O=object balls, X=cue ball, !=rail
!O (object balls would be closer)
!

Bob_Jewett
12-13-2005, 08:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pigbrain:</font><hr> who knows what is a chinese snooker exact mean? and why it is called chinese snooker? <hr /></blockquote>
It refers to a situation in which white is against a ball, but you can shoot directly towards the ball on. Your stick will pass (more or less) directly over the "snookering" ball to hit the ball on. See illustrations at http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/advanced/chinese_snookers/chinese_snookers.htm

As for the origin, I've been told it's from Chinese writing going a different direction from English.

pigbrain
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
thank you all so much.
i am not in usa, so i cant buy billiardsdigest. but i found many articles written by bob about pool on the web, i printed some of them and i am reading them now, i find them so good for me, i like them so much, thank you Bob!!!! I hope i can find more articles that i can download. and also hope i can find the magazine are for sell here in my country.
i can understand what a chinese snooker is.
but i am so sorry i still cant understand the following sentence " As for the origin, I've been told it's from Chinese writing going a different direction from English."
"going a different direction from English"

Bob_Jewett
12-13-2005, 09:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pigbrain:</font><hr> ...
but i am so sorry i still cant understand the following sentence " As for the origin, I've been told it's from Chinese writing going a different direction from English." <hr /></blockquote>
My understanding is that Chinese characters are sometimes written right-to-left, or maybe top-to-bottom and then right-to-left, as opposed to English which is rarely written other than left to right. The person who told me the story implied that the snooker was "reversed" like the writing. I have no idea whether he was full of wisdom or something else. The explanation seems weak, but it is the only one I've heard.

pigbrain
12-13-2005, 10:20 PM
o!!!
i can understand now! thank you so much.
but it is a very long time ago when our chinese people wrote characters right-to-left. at that time they wrote with a brush. now we use pen to write, from left to right.
thank you so much!http://img.ebigchina.com/cdimg/127428/1442198/0/1122431409.jpg
are our chinese characters beautiful? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pigbrain
12-13-2005, 10:23 PM
http://student.zsu.edu.cn/~lp01pql/qigong/qg12.jpg
they are art works, I can't recognize some of them stll.

kyle
12-14-2005, 12:26 PM
My understanding of a chinese hook is when the object ball is in front of the cue ball (forcing you to shoot over the ball) the reason for the name is that it's 180 degrees from a normal hook (China being 180 degrees or the opposite side of the world).

Fat Ivory
12-17-2005, 12:27 PM
I've heard that the term is based on the avg. Asian stature. It's very tough for short people to shoot jacked-up over the cue ball.