PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia pool and billiards section needs YOU!

Alaskan_Pool
12-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Hey all. Not sure if you guys and gals are familiar with Wikipedia.org, but it is a massive "open source" encylopedia. Wiki and open source mean that every article is immediately editable by any person who goes there. You don't even have to sign up. It's a really innovative concept I think. You'd think it would be utter chaos but it's not. It's fairly self-regulating.

Anyway, I was looking up random pool and billiards articles, such as "billiards" "nine ball" cue stick" "efren reyes" etc., and they need A LOT of help. Not shilling for them. I just thought some people here might be interesting in correcting some of the nonsense I've read, obviously written by some that don't know the game well (Some of it's very good as well).

Deeman3
12-15-2005, 03:57 PM
Isn't WiKipedia the one where the idiot recently went in and edited a guys history to make him look like a WWII Nazi criminal or something. Seems dangerous to have a thing anyone can edit.

Deeman
you guys don't miss my 23 world championships notes on there... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

iacas
12-15-2005, 09:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Isn't WiKipedia the one where the idiot recently went in and edited a guys history to make him look like a WWII Nazi criminal or something. Seems dangerous to have a thing anyone can edit.<hr /></blockquote>
Yes, that happened, and within a few minutes someone had reset it. They do have a board of trusted people who monitor things for suspicious content.

I added myself to the March 23 "famous people birthdays" page and it was removed with a smartass comment about "if we added every random computer programmer here..." within a few minutes. Since that moment, I've had quite a bit of trust in the self-policing that goes on there.