PDA

View Full Version : OB1 shaft - info needed ASAP!

radge69
12-15-2005, 08:01 AM
For those of you that have hit with this shaft, I have a few questions for you. Sid stated that it has a soft hit even with a Moori H. I personally like a stiffer hit, I feel the 314 with a Moori S has a just stiff enough feeling for me to like. I normally play with a Moori M, but my cue guy was out at the time, so I have a soft now. I'm going to order another shaft in the next day or two, and am trying to decide between another 314 and the OB1. Do you think the hit is less stiff with the OB1? TIA

GolfProTj
12-15-2005, 08:20 AM
This is the stiffest thing I've ever hit with, It had a Moori s on it. Predator is a better shaft hands down. Wasn't happy with how the shaft played.

Tj

littleCajun
12-15-2005, 09:31 AM
I have an OB1 and Its one of the best shafts that I have ever played with. It is a stiff shaft, but you get no vibration from the hit. I think this is what Sid is refering to.

SPetty
12-15-2005, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote radge69:</font><hr> Do you think the hit is less stiff with the OB1?<hr /></blockquote>No, it's not less stiff. But keep in mind that I don't think the Predator is stiff either.

I have played with a Predator for years, and recently switched to the OB-1 shaft. It is hands down tons better than the Predator for me.

And, it's not like there's NO vibration as some think. There is less front-to-back vibration due to the foam core, but there is still plenty of top-to-bottom vibration, which is what gives the shaft its great "feel".

Here's a past thread about it:
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=206543

wolfdancer
12-15-2005, 02:02 PM
So you are saying that the shaft has "Good vibrations" ???
I hope so, because....Royce is making mine, and I should have it in a few days........
Sorry to hear that TJ, is dissatisfied with his.....

RUNaRAK
12-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I ordered one myself, as a matter of fact it is sitting at home waiting for me. Just got delivered today. I was never really happy with the 314 hit and am trying the OB shaft from other recommendations. I will give my review in a week or so..

Peace, Joe

SPetty
12-15-2005, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GolfProTj:</font><hr>Predator is a better shaft hands down. Wasn't happy with how the shaft played.<hr /></blockquote>So, do you happen to have a slightly used OB-1 shaft with a uni-loc joint for sale cheap? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif I know someone (okay, it's me) that might be interested... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MacGyver
12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
On a scale of soft to stiff, can anyone say how the OB1, Z and 314 rates on that scale?

I like a soft and smooth hit and thought that is what OB1 was offering, but from the thread it sounds like a stiffer hit and not as soft.... thoughts?

wolfdancer
12-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Joe, i'll look forward to your input...should have mine in the next few days.
I like my Predator shaft though, with an everest tip, it hits better then anything I've ever owned......now if I only had a stroke to go along with it.....

c.holtz009
12-15-2005, 05:56 PM
I have ordered one also. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

houseman
12-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Got mine about 5 days ago, liked it much better when I put on one of my favorite Talisman Soft tips.
Now it plays great for my style of play, I use a lot of spin for position, I just have to remember to shoot softer and follow thru. I wont say it hits hard or soft as I personally think thats a type of tip you use issue.

ALLENJK
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Maybe I can help with this. I have had the priveledge of playing with the OB1 since they were introduced ( before you could buy one ). I was also a 314 player along with many others that have switched. I can't answer your question as to if the shaft is stiff or not, I believe this to be an opinion on a person to person basis. I can tell you that I will not play with anything else. I can also attest to personally seeing many players from B's &amp; C's to road players that have switched on the spot after playing with the OB1 for the first time. If you would like more info. on this I would suggest that you contact Royce @ www.obcues.com (http://www.obcues.com) or call him @ 214-497-9323. You may also PM me with your phone # and I will tell you my personal experience with this product.

c.holtz009
12-17-2005, 07:38 AM
I got my OB1 yesterday, and tried it out. I like the hit a lot better than my 314. I am ordering one for my other cue. I find the hit is very solid, and I really like the feel. It also find I can get a ton of side, top or bottom with a lot more ease. Now the rock REALLY dances!!

Sid_Vicious
12-17-2005, 01:16 PM
"Sid stated that it has a soft hit even with a Moori H. I personally like a stiffer hit"

radge...What I eluded to was that the hard tips I use, and also another player I installed H Moori for, think that the resultant of the stroke into a CB with the same tip but the OB1 shaft, reports a sound and sensation(omo) that it's softer. Everyone who I've confered with who own this shaft has similar words, maybe stated differently. I love a stiff hit so it took a little getting used to, BUT the result of CB movement with less off center tip placement, is a pleasure. I put my 314 together the other day for grins and it didn't come close to playing as well for me.

I thnk that the report feeling a bit softer is derived from both the wooden ply ferrule and the balsa wood-filled core at the end of the shaft. Regardless, IMSO, most everyone who plays a lot and has the cash, will want one of these if they are smart. Jm2c...sid

Sid_Vicious
12-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Spetty....You know what cue/rings his cue is geared up with? I was told by Royce that he wasn't installing unilocks on these, but that was months ago, and I know for a fact that he's gotten new machinery since then. I have a big McDermott with a quick release I'd fix up with one of these if Royce can install that joint for me, but in the interum I'd be interested in anyone who has one of these he/she is not interested, price reduced...sid

supercueman
12-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi gang!!!
Happy holiday to all... I bought 3 OB-1 shafts and have been using them for several weeks now... Hands down I love them compared to 314.... I ordered them with traingle tip...

wolfdancer
12-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Stealth Marketing!
Susan, I had never heard the term before until the other day, but this thread illustrates the value of that type of advertising.
Stealth Marketeers do things like have a loud fake cell phone conversation about a product, say, like when waiting for a subway train. If Royce had just placed an ad in one of the pool newsmags, I might have overlooked it, but after reading some reviews here.....can't wait to get mine now.
so maybe Royce owes us some "ad" $$ ????
I'm worried though about the balsa wood....if I leave it unattended....it won't fly away in a gust of wind, I hope????

SPetty
12-17-2005, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> SPetty... I'm worried though about the balsa wood....if I leave it unattended....it won't fly away in a gust of wind, I hope????<hr /></blockquote>Interesting. I guess this thread explains a little why I haven't received my second shaft yet... They've been working on all these other people's shafts!

I held a new McDermott shaft, I think it was an I-3, last week - talk about light! It had hardly any weight to it at all! The guy selling it says "It's O.K., it only moves the balance point an inch or two..." /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I sure hope you like the shaft. I feel a little responsible... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SPetty
12-17-2005, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> SPetty....You know what cue/rings his cue is geared up with? I was told by Royce that he wasn't installing unilocks on these, but that was months ago, and I know for a fact that he's gotten new machinery since then. I have a big McDermott with a quick release I'd fix up with one of these if Royce can install that joint for me...<hr /></blockquote>When I said uni-loc, I mean the Predator uni-loc joint. The Predator uni-loc is different than other quick release joints, isn't it? But they definitely do the uni-loc joint - it's on my shaft.

wolfdancer
12-17-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm sure I'll like it, esp after all the Predator owners say they think it plays better then the 314.....

twilight
12-18-2005, 03:46 AM
I've had my OB-1 for about a week now. I've loved everything about the predators for years but after a few hours, I like the OB just a bit more. Also in my personal observations, it makes the cueball squirt slightly less. Is it light years better than the predator? no. But it does have a better feel (personal opinion) and makes the CB deflect slightly less.
When cutting shots with outside english, I hit the object ball too thin and vice versa. It took a few minutes to realize that I was compensating for my predator's deflection. In other words, I aimed too thin thinking my shaft would deflect and squirt the cue ball closer, but it didn't so I kept hitting those thin.

Sid_Vicious
12-18-2005, 08:06 AM
"When cutting shots with outside english, I hit the object ball too thin and vice versa."

Same here, but that's a good thing. One friend of mine who bought this shaft the same time I bought mine, putting it on a Predator cue(an SP), doesn't use his. My guess is that he didn't like some losses and grew impatient in not getting used that aspect of the shaft, hence he seemingly never uses his new shaft. Oh well, I guess we can say he didn't "stay the course"...sid

GolfProTj
12-18-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm looking for a uni-loc for a mcdermott.

Thanks Tj

RUNaRAK
01-04-2006, 05:42 AM
I did receive the OB-1 shaft a couple of weeks ago and initially I only hit with it for an hour or so. I was not crazy about the feel of the shaft so I put it away. Note that I have played with many cues so I have experienced many different hits and sometimes this is not good because it does not leave for an open mind.

I pulled the shaft out of the case again a couple of days ago because I wanted to give it another try, I am preparing to play in the Derby City Classic this weekend and thought that I may as well try the OB-1 once again.

The good: The shaft does ALMOST seem to eliminate deflection, so much that it messes me up because I am having trouble adjusting to that after playing with a standard deflection cue for so long. However, I am growing used to it and I feel that it does improve my bank game considerably. I had the Moori Med tip installed by Royce from the factory. I also notice that I can go out closer to the edge of the ball and still cannot really get the cue ball to deflect very much at all.. I am getting better at adjusting now.
I plan to use the shaft in the banks competition at the Derby.

The Bad: Really other than the funky ferrule and getting used to the smaller shaft (12.75mm) the shaft seems to be getting better to me. I will give it a fair shake and use it for more time and I may end up using it full time. Only time will tell. I wish that I could have gotten the joint size to match my cue up exactly, the OB is a bit smaller but that is really only cosmetic and I wanted one with a silver ring, also cosmetic. I am sure that Royce would make on to fit my cue custom if I did not mind waiting.

Overall, a great product that definitely surpasses the P314.

Just my opinion of the shaft..

Joe Koontz

SPetty
01-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the review - I've been wondering how you liked it! Especially since you have so much experience with so many different cues and shafts.

I think you're experiencing why I often try to couch my enthusiasm with words like "If you like the Predator..." or "If you currently use a Predator..."

The things that you're having trouble with are the Predator-like things about this shaft. The Predator also has a 12.75 mm diameter, and is also a low deflection shaft. If you aren't or can't become accustomed to a low deflection shaft, then this might not be the shaft for you. Same point about the shaft diameter.

And how can you not like that "funky" ferrule! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's the best part! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif lol

Thanks for your review and good luck at the Derby! Say "Howdy" to Deeman for me if you see him. And if you're thirsty, tell him "SPetty says you owe me a beer!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It might work... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mrquick
08-03-2007, 07:05 PM
A friend of mine bought one of these shafts, and he let me play a few racks with it. I play with a predator Z, so I didn't expect it to really impress me. I was wrong. This shaft really cuts down on the amount of follow through I had to have. It's also great at jumping! If I were shooting with a 314, I think this shaft would be a definite improvement. But my preference is for a smaller diameter tip than this cue provides, so I will stick with the Z.