PDA

View Full Version : Xmas without friends

wolfdancer
12-15-2005, 01:35 PM
A young man, new to the neighborhood, has not made any friends yet, and a Xmas without friends, can be very sad. The fault though lies partly with him. Folks that have tried to befriend him, have been turned off by his rudeness, indifference, lack of manners, and poor social skills in general.
There's still hope though, still a few days until Xmas....

Friendless (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/42599)

Fran Crimi
12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
LOL! That was pretty nutty.

Not meaning to assume you were using the X to replace the word 'Christ' but I know that a lot of people do it thinking they're getting around the Christian end of Christmas. I thought it might be interesting to post the origin of how the 'X' part came about.

"Xmas:

This abbreviation for Christmas is of Greek origin. The word for Christ in Greek is Xristos. During the 16th century, Europeans began using the first initial of Christ's name, "X" in place of the word Christ in Christmas as a shorthand form of the word."

Fran

Deeman3
12-15-2005, 03:52 PM
Fran,

Thanks for that info. I had no idea. I have assumed, my whole life, that it was a secular replacement for Chistmas as well. Neat little fact to know.

Deeman

wolfdancer
12-15-2005, 05:32 PM
Fran, the "X" was just a shortcut....no anti-Christ meaning to it at all.
Well, now that I know who put the X in xmas....do you know:

Who put the bomp In the bomp bah bomp bah bomp. Who put the ram In the rama lama
ding dong. Who put the bop In the bop shoo bop shoo bop Who put the dip .........?