PDA

View Full Version : Shooting "stupid" shots!

Billy_Bob
12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Sometimes in a tournament I just get up and whack the ball without thinking about the shot. Then *after* I shoot, I see that I could have done it differently and made a wiser choice.

And with safeties, I see a good place the leave the CB, but might miss seeing that I am leaving my opponent a shot in a different direction.

And I may have no shot, but an easy carom shot, but just don't see the carom!

I am getting better and better at not making stupid shots. I now have the tools to leave the cue ball where I want many times. This is new to me. So I guess I just need to remember to use the tools I have at my disposal? Maybe this is just a time/experience thing?

Checklist of things to check before leaving the cue ball somewhere for a safety...
[Your suggestions here!]

Checklist of shots to look for when you have no shot...
[Your suggestions here!]

Other?

Deeman3
12-16-2005, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Billy_Bob:</font><hr> Sometimes in a tournament I just get up and whack the ball without thinking about the shot. Then *after* I shoot, I see that I could have done it differently and made a wiser choice.

And with safeties, I see a good place the leave the CB, but might miss seeing that I am leaving my opponent a shot in a different direction.

And I may have no shot, but an easy carom shot, but just don't see the carom!

I am getting better and better at not making stupid shots. I now have the tools to leave the cue ball where I want many times. This is new to me. So I guess I just need to remember to use the tools I have at my disposal? Maybe this is just a time/experience thing? <font color="blue"> I think it is mostly an experience thing. When I was younger, I might just hit the balls because I didn't see a shot or know what to do. As your game and knowledge grow you see more options and can execute them with fewer times that you would just swing away.

BEFORE: Do you have a shot? Can you gain positon on the next ball? What are your odds of running the balls? Is there an easier safe?</font color>
Checklist of things to check before leaving the cue ball somewhere for a safety...
[Your suggestions here!] <font color="blue"> Can you completely hide the cue ball from your opponents next object ball and get distance or multiple angles he has to kick or leave himm hugged up against a ball away from the shot?

Can you leave him/her a kick that requires great skill to return a safe on? Can you leave him a long impossible cut or bank? Can you leave him distance between the cue ball and object ball or leave him jacked up with some distance? </font color>

Checklist of shots to look for when you have no shot...
[Your suggestions here!] <font color="blue"> Same as above excpet you will have more limited options. </font color>

Deeman

Other?
<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Make sure you wantch better players play and observe their decisions. Then ask, Can I perform these shots? Can I remember them when they come up? If not, practice and take notes.

Good Luck... </font color>

StormHotRod300
12-18-2005, 01:08 AM
I think everyone went thru this phase in pool before. And some never get outa it. But the ones who learn what to do when this situation comes up are the ones who advance and learn how to win games quicker.

When playing safe, the thing i look at is, A- how far apart can i put the CB and the OB, and also look for balls to the CB behind.

B- is what type of shot will the other person have to try to hit the OB, obviously everyone wants to create the toughest shot possible when playing safe.

But playing safe is a good way to just be able to keep control of the table, to be able to win the game.

Now as for doing stupid shots, its more inexperience, and knowing what to do. IE pushing balls together when you dont have a shot.

Most newbies or bangers do the HHH, hit hard and hope. They dont actually think about what will happen, to the rest of the table. <font color="black"> </font color>