PDA

View Full Version : 8 Ball Strategists, Enter!

nhp
12-17-2005, 07:11 AM
I know very little about strategy in 8-ball. I almost exclusively play 9-ball. I play 8-ball every once in a while, and know some of the common strategies, such as 'dont try to run out unless you can run out', and just about the worst thing that you can do is run out all your balls and just leave the 8 ball, or just one of your balls and miss (or hook yourself). That's almost a guaranteed loss, even against someone who doesn't play that strong. Another one I know is to always try to be aware of ways to tie up your opponent's balls if a runout is not available. And lastly, try to get rid of problem balls early. That's about it. With this recent topic about Marlon's situation that cost him the match, the game is really beginning to fascinate me. There are a few games that I have played that I remember being completely stumped on what to do, I wish I remember the situations so I could have posted them up here. I'm gonna try to play the game a bit more, maybe this can strengthen my 9-ball game.

In the meanwhile, if any of you have any situations you would like the good 8-ball players of this site to analyze, please feel free to post up a wei table of the situation! I would love to learn from it.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I'd like to see some Wei table "WHAT WOULD YOU DO?" also.

If you don't have a copy of Geroge Fels' "What would you do?" book for 9 ball, 8 ball and 14.1, I would suggest looking into it.

Bassn7
12-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Let's start with a common easy one I have my team players shoot all the time. You have ball-in-hand and you are solids. 8-ball and 5 are froze. The 1 ball is about 3 inches from the corner pocket. What's the play?
(START(%Aq1E3%Ei6O6%Hh5O6%PL2O1)END

Bassn7
12-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Here's another. Ball-in-hand again. You have solids. What's the play?
START(%AS3E0%BP7D7%Cn5M8%Do3L8%HQ7D2%JP8E8%P[7N5)END

mworkman
12-17-2005, 12:01 PM
Line yourself up for a stop shot on the 5 ball. Push the 8 to the opposite end freezing the cue-ball to the 5. You should get ball in hand again, then run out. Too risky to break out cluster now, not needed.START(
%Aq1E3%Ei6O6%HJ1O3%Pj9O6%UD3O2%Vh7O6%WH6O3%XC3N9

)END

mworkman
12-17-2005, 12:11 PM
shot#2 I think I would try this. START(
%AS3E0%BP7D7%Cn5M8%Do3L8%HQ7D2%JP8E8%PL5D6%Uj8M2%V Q6F1%WO5E5
%XM3D7
)END Send the 10 into the 3-4 cluster breaking it up. Freeze cueball on the 2. You should get ball in hand again. Then with ball in hand again, you could either try a break out or draw off the 2 and try to leave the 1 between the 8 and the cueball.

mworkman
12-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Ok, the table is open after your opponent failed to make a ball after the break. What do you take? What is your first shot? START(
%Ao2J6%BZ3I1%Cl8D8%DJ7H8%En9Y7%F]0O7%GO1Y4%Hk3W0%Ij4X0%Jo9I4
%KY9O3%LL8W0%Mf2P9%N^3D3%ON1F1%Pd0N6
)END

Bassn7
12-17-2005, 01:21 PM
You can't send the 10 anywhere. You have solids. That would give the opponent ball-in-hand. Drive the 4 firmly up tabe into the one using a stop shot. All balls break out and the cue ball is froze behind the 3. Any time you can use an object ball to break out instead of the cue ball it is very controlled and predictable.

Bassn7
12-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Two options: #1. Shoot the 1, 10 combo and brake out the 8, 9. Then run out. #2. Shoot the 3 and break out the 1. Then run out.

Billy_Bob
12-18-2005, 08:49 AM
-If you have the ability to run 6, 7 balls and leave the cue ball in the exact spot you need for the next shot, then it is a good strategy to leave your balls on the table and let your opponent shoot in most of his balls. Your balls will be "soldiers blocking shots". Then it is easier for you to shoot in all your balls. So might want to intentionally miss your second shot.

-It is a good idea to leave 3 balls on the table near pockets (scattered around) until you can runout. Then your opponent will have a more difficult time snookering you.

-If your opponent has just one ball left (8-ball) and you have all of your balls left, you have a big advantage! It is quite easy to leave your opponent without a shot. Simply shoot each shot so you leave the cue ball in a position where your opponent has no shot. If you can't pocket a ball and leave the cue ball in a nasty spot at the same time (in case you miss) then just concentrate on leaving the cue ball in a nasty spot. Hit object ball to left, center, or right and use follow/draw to get cue ball to go to that nasty spot. This will buy you time for additional shots. Just take your time...

supergreenman
12-19-2005, 03:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Line yourself up for a stop shot on the 5 ball. Push the 8 to the opposite end freezing the cue-ball to the 5. You should get ball in hand again, then run out. Too risky to break out cluster now, not needed.START(

)END <hr /></blockquote>

The easier shot here would be to call a safety, pocket the 1 and roll the cb up to the bottom rail.

James

Cornerman
12-20-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote supergreenman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Line yourself up for a stop shot on the 5 ball. Push the 8 to the opposite end freezing the cue-ball to the 5. You should get ball in hand again, then run out. Too risky to break out cluster now, not needed.START(

)END <hr /></blockquote>

The easier shot here would be to call a safety, pocket the 1 and roll the cb up to the bottom rail.

James <hr /></blockquote>I personally don't like this solution. I like the safety, but there's no reason to pocket the 1-ball.

I would also think separation on the 8-ball &amp; 5-ball first.

Fred

Cornerman
12-20-2005, 08:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> Ok, the table is open after your opponent failed to make a ball after the break. What do you take? What is your first shot? START(
%Ao2J6%BZ3I1%Cl8D8%DJ7H8%En9Y7%F]0O7%GO1Y4%Hk3W0%Ij4X0%Jo9I4
%KY9O3%LL8W0%Mf2P9%N^3D3%ON1F1%Pd0N6
)END <hr /></blockquote>If the 1/10 goes, play that and break out the 9-ball.

If it doesn't go, then either make the three and break out the 1/10, or hit the 7-ball then the 3-ball. Whatever the case, break it out early.

Fred

Cornerman
12-20-2005, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> In the meanwhile, if any of you have any situations you would like the good 8-ball players of this site to analyze, please feel free to post up a wei table of the situation! I would love to learn from it. <hr /></blockquote>Here's an intersting one I had last night. It was intersting because I found a solution, went for it early, missed the ball, got the breakout, and my opponent ranout. We are both runout players, especially on the bar box, so our intent is usually run, run, run.

The following link is to the Wei Bar Table. I asked Wei to make this several years ago, but I wasn't thrilled with the size of the pocket. I think he just made the pockets bigger. LOL!!!

Wei's Bar Table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/bartable.html)

Open table after the break. The balls are in the approximate position.

START(
%AM5Z7%Bp1I3%CC9I7%Dk8Z6%EQ4F8%Fm0M5%G`2H0%H]2K3%Ic9M5%J`5L8
%KV5Z3%Lb8Q7%MN6Z1%NK4S6%OB2\1%PQ7P1
)END

Fred