PDA

View Full Version : Teen admits killing dad over poor grades

SnakebyteXX
12-17-2005, 07:37 AM
After fatal shooting, he set father's body on fire, police say

Suzanne Herel, Chronicle Staff Writer

Saturday, December 17, 2005

A 15-year-old boy charged with murdering his father told Santa Clara police that he had shot him to death so he wouldn't find out how poorly he was doing in school, according to court documents filed Friday.

Ryan Alain Watts, a sophomore at Santa Clara High School, said he had shot his father twice in the head and neck and then -- unable to move the 350-plus-pound man to the backyard, where he planned to bury him -- set his body on fire Monday morning.

Watts then walked to a Taco Bell, where he ate a few tacos before returning home, hoping to find the house fully engulfed in flames, the records show.

It was not, so Watts called 911 himself.

Firefighters responding to 673 Bucher Ave. around noon found the badly burned body of John Bruner, 50, on the floor of his bedroom. It was not immediately apparent that foul play was involved in Bruner's death.

"He was pretty disfigured," said Santa Clara police Officer Patti Lynch.

It wasn't until an autopsy was performed the following day that police were notified that Bruner had died of multiple gunshot wounds, she said. The autopsy showed that Bruner had been shot with a .45-caliber pistol, according to court records.

After conducting a number of interviews with family, friends and neighbors, police arrested Ryan Watts on Wednesday in Sunnyvale, where his mother lives. He is being held at the county's juvenile probation facility.

Watts was arraigned Friday on a charge of murder with two enhancements: using a firearm and lying in wait, said David Tomkins, assistant district attorney for Santa Clara County.

That charge requires that Watts be tried as an adult. However, because he is underage, prosecutors cannot seek the death penalty. If convicted, Watts will face life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Tomkins described the case as grisly.

"This is not the kind of case you want to see at the holidays," he said.

According to court documents, "Watts told us (police) that he was afraid of his father finding out how poorly he was doing in school. Watts was failing a couple of his classes and his father was going to be meeting with a school counselor early the following week.''

So, sometime before Monday, Watts took one of his father's handguns and ammunition from the safe in his bedroom and hid the weapon in his own room.

Sgt. Wahid Kazem, an investigating officer, recounted Watts' interview with police in an affidavit of probable cause filed with the court.

"On Monday morning, he walked out of his house with the loaded .45-caliber handgun and a knife," he wrote. "Instead of going to school, he hid in his backyard and snuck back into his house."

When Watts heard his father pick up the telephone, Watts burst into the room, shooting his father in the neck area as he lay in bed.

"Watts then approached the victim and shot him in the head at close range," the affidavit says. "Watts believed the victim was calling his school and would confirm his failing grades."

After being shot the second time, Bruner rolled off the bed and onto the floor.

Watts told police he had tried to move his father's body, but it was too heavy, so he covered it with an old sleeping bag and poured flame accelerants on top.

He lit several small fires in the room to spark a blaze and hid the gun in a kitchen cabinet on his way out of the house.

In a search of the home later, police found a .45-caliber gun in the kitchen and ammunition in Watts' bedroom, along with a bloody sweatshirt and evidence of accelerant.

Bruner and his wife apparently were estranged, and Watts was living with his father.

Neighbors described him as a "quiet kid," Lynch said.

Brad Syth, principal of Santa Clara High School, said Watts had called in sick on Monday and had not been seen by school officials since. Students at the school Friday were enjoying their last day before their two-week winter break.

Syth said that he had never had any interaction with Watts and that the 10th-grader had no history of discipline or attendance problems. For the most part, he earned average grades, Syth said.

"When I heard his name, I had to go pull his file up in the computer to find out who he was and what he was all about," Syth said. "He's never been on my radar screen as far as good, bad or indifferent. This one was a complete surprise."

web page (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/17/BAGMUG9HCT1.DTL)

Drop1
12-17-2005, 11:46 AM
I wonder what his grades were.

wolfdancer
12-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I hope they do a physchiatric evaluation of this kid. I'm sure they will. He sounds terrified of his father....and life without parole may not be justified in this case.

Drop1
12-17-2005, 01:10 PM
I'm sure they will do every frigging study known. What a wrenching life that boy must have. It is a tragedy that reflects also on the constant pressure young people deal with. The details will out,regarding his relationship with his father.

Deeman3
12-17-2005, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> I hope they do a physchiatric evaluation of this kid. I'm sure they will. He sounds terrified of his father....and life without parole may not be justified in this case. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Yes, I'm leaning more toward a couple of weeks community service and maybe clean a few neighbor's yards... </font color>

wolfdancer
12-17-2005, 02:40 PM
It's got to be that Ala sun down there, frying your brain a bit....you shouldn't go out without your straw hat......
First off the kids 15.....and we don't know his relationship with his father. I never said he should get a walk....but life without parole...when people who kill during a robbery, get 15 to 25...or take Larry singleton, who raped a young Black girl, cut off her arms and left her to bleed to death. She survived, and he got 15 years.....got out and was killed trying to rape again.
Dan White committed two deliberate murders, and was released from prison in about ten years.
Maybe, if this kid killed out of sheer terror, he deserves something besides life without......and have a little sympathy.... he is an orphan....
Me, I'd have shot the teacher

Deeman3
12-18-2005, 09:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> It's got to be that Ala sun down there, frying your brain a bit....you shouldn't go out without your straw hat......
First off the kids 15.....and we don't know his relationship with his father. I never said he should get a walk....but life without parole...when people who kill during a robbery, get 15 to 25...or take Larry singleton, who raped a young Black girl, cut off her arms and left her to bleed to death. She survived, and he got 15 years.....got out and was killed trying to rape again.
Dan White committed two deliberate murders, and was released from prison in about ten years.
Maybe, if this kid killed out of sheer terror, he deserves something besides life without......and have a little sympathy.... he is an orphan....
Me, I'd have shot the teacher <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Wolfdancer, I was just pulling your chain. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I agree he's just a kid and probably should be looked at very closely before doing anything with him. I think life would be harsh, given what I know already.

It all to do with disposable kids. Parents separate, the kid is left with someone who doesn't want him/her and we have a nation of latch kids who raise themselves on MTV and whatever else might influence them. Sounds like the kid had pretty normal grades at least up to now. Who knows what went on behind closed doors. </font color>

Deeman
I'd help you shoot the teacher...

wolfdancer
12-18-2005, 11:30 AM
It's obvious the kid doesn't watch "Emiril" on the food channel.
You just can't even cook , let alone incinerate,a 350 lb piece of meat, in the time it takes to go down and have a couple of Tacos.
Maybe it's just me, or maybe I'm just caught up in the holiday spirit, but the story reminds me of a Xmas song
"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, ......"

Drop1
12-18-2005, 08:54 PM
I think the song is Chester's nuts roasting by an open fire.

supergreenman
12-18-2005, 10:50 PM
Throw another log on the fire?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Qtec
12-19-2005, 07:31 AM
His time in jail should reflect the Q, 'is he a danger to others'?

A famous case is one where a man with an IQ of 70 gets arrested and confesses to 5 murders. 4 of the 5 he couldnt have done so they charge him on the fifth one. The guy, despite no evidence to prove his guilt gets convicted on a confession made without a lawyer present and later retracted in court. The prosecutions case was that he did it all on his own.
18 years later, a DNA test proves he wasnt the rapist but they refuse to let him go. Suddenly, he might have had an accomplice according to the DA!
1000s of people in the US are still in jail because someone doesnt want a blot on their CV!

Did you see the link I posted about the Iraq contractors shooting evrything in sight?
They are immune from prosecution.

Its a crazy world.

Q .thinks the kid gets life

Deeman3
12-19-2005, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> His time in jail should reflect the Q, 'is he a danger to others'?

A famous case is one where a man with an IQ of 70 gets arrested and confesses to 5 murders. 4 of the 5 he couldnt have done so they charge him on the fifth one. The guy, despite no evidence to prove his guilt gets convicted on a confession made without a lawyer present and later retracted in court. The prosecutions case was that he did it all on his own. <font color="blue"> Unfortunately, many prosecutors look only at getting a conviction as defence lawyers look at only getting an aquital for their client. It has amazed me, over the years, that when a person has DNA or other exculpatory evidence that they are not immediately released. However, it's the reward system and the individual prosecutors as you say, watching their CV (Resume) to make sure they can run on a better conviction record for a political post later on. </font color>
18 years later, a DNA test proves he wasnt the rapist but they refuse to let him go. Suddenly, he might have had an accomplice according to the DA!
1000s of people in the US are still in jail because someone doesnt want a blot on their CV! <font color="blue"> This situation is not only in the U.S. Of course, in some countries, they don't even get a trial. </font color>

Did you see the link I posted about the Iraq contractors shooting evrything in sight? <font color="blue"> Yes, but in fairness, we don't know the exact situation in the video. I admit, it looks bad but there should be an investigation and prosecution if it is as it appears. </font color>
They are immune from prosecution.

Its a crazy world. <font color="blue"> Really?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Q .thinks the kid gets life <font color="blue"> Bet you a pair of wooden shoes he doesn't.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Qtec
12-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Most countries require more proof than, "he done it' before they sentence a man to death or the rest of his life in prison.

Did you see the video of the cops themselves looting a store in N.O? The same cops will stand up in court and will say you confessed to being a member of Al Q al because you went to a fancy dress party wearing a Fez.

Q

Deeman3
12-19-2005, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Most countries require more proof than, "he done it' before they sentence a man to death or the rest of his life in prison. <font color="blue"> Actually, No. The majority of people on earth live under very unfair and biased legal systems. Some are better then ours but many are much worse. In some, you could not even criticise the actions of a court. The biggest difference is that a majority of countries, if not a majority of the people in the world (China has a big portion of the population) don't have capitol punishment so the focus is not so much on their systems. Millions rot away in prisons across the world but are under the radar since they might not have capitol punishment. </font color>

Did you see the video of the cops themselves looting a store in N.O? <font color="blue"> I know the police are corrupt, particularily in LA. and NO as their local and state governments are and have been examples of corruption to them. </font color> The same cops will stand up in court and will say you confessed to being a member of Al Q al because you went to a fancy dress party wearing a Fez. <font color="blue"> If you think the local cops in NO know a Fez from a string of dredlocks, you vastly overestimate their knowledge and abilities. While they are bad, believe it or not, they have gotten better in the last few years. They at least don't beg for bribes openly as they did in the past. They earn it by looting, like their mayor. </font color>

Deeman

Q <hr /></blockquote>