PDA

View Full Version : Cue weight...

mworkman
12-18-2005, 07:32 AM
I've read somewhere that the lighter the cue, the more speed control you get. And the heavier the cue, the more aiming accuracy you get. Is this true? I shoot with a 20oz stick. I'm thinking of moving to a 19oz next season. My thinking is that I shoot mostly on 7' tables where speed control is crucial, and aiming shouldn't be that tough on a 7'er especially if my position play improves. I'm sure there will be a transition period to get used to the new weight of maybe a month or so. Is my thinking correct on this?

Billy_Bob
12-18-2005, 08:22 AM
For myself, I have found that with a lighter weight cue, I can more easily shoot "very slow delicate" shots.

And with a lighter weight breaking cue, I can break with more speed (I use 17.5 oz).

So far as speed control goes, I feel it is *very* important to select a certain weight cue (I use 19.5 oz), then stick with that weight *forever*. Then you can learn the "touch" to use to get the cue ball to stop where you want. It's like if they made a heavier weight basketball and you tried to make a basket with it. You might need to re-learn how much force to use to make a basket.

raodwarior
12-19-2005, 02:25 PM
For the majority of players the weight that we recommend here is between 18 3/4 and 19 1/4. That seems to impart the best roll on the ball.

Cane
12-19-2005, 07:30 PM
You'll get the best speed control and accuracy with... any weight cue. Just use whatever is comfortable for you and learn to control your speed by controlling your stroke. Not being a smarta$$ here, but good stroke control and you can control speed with a mop handle.

Later,
Bob

randyg
12-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Do you play with a Morri on that mop handle?

Boy, Jerico will sure be surprized.

Cane
12-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Randy... Yes, of course... a Moori III Quick! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess my point was that there really isn't a "standard" weight or weight range that a player should use to get the kind of results he wants. Until I got my Richard Black and then my Jerico cues (up to four of those now), I played with production cues. I had a decent stroke and played a pretty decent game with them. Even now, when I go to a bar, I don't take my customs with me... I just use a house cue and my game doesn't drop off much. Of course, that may be because I practice most of the time with an old Lucasi House Cue that I have here at home. I think it's a 20 ounce (not really sure, but it feels a bit heavier than my dog cue), and my custom cues are all just a bit over 19... makes no difference. My customs are my weapons... they are, as you said once, the guns I go to war with. The Lucasi is OK to practice with, and I can do ALMOST anything with it that I can with any cue I've every picked up. I, of course, attribute that to a very nice SPFF stroke that someone taught me... geez... can't remember that guys name! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

See, I'm a stroke fanatic. I think if you have a great stroke, good speed control and a good aim, then you can do anything on a pool table with any cue (within reason). IMHO, going from a house cue of any weight, to a custom cue that's weighted and balanced so that it feels like an extension of your body is like going from a Volkswagon to a Ferrari. Both of them will get you down the road, but one of them is built to perform at a bit higher level AND it looks a helluva lot better!

Later,
Bob

HALHOULE
12-20-2005, 01:59 AM
NO

HALHOULE
12-20-2005, 02:01 AM
WHY?

MrLucky
12-20-2005, 08:45 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif my cues run between 18oz and 19oz any heavier and I feel like I am bowling /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
12-20-2005, 11:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr>

See, I'm a stroke fanatic. I think if you have a great stroke, good speed control and a good aim, then you can do anything on a pool table with any cue (within reason).

Bob <hr /></blockquote>

...and the truth shall set you free! LOL tap, tap, tap!

Scott Lee

crookedcue
12-21-2005, 03:49 PM
i may be the only one,but i think heavier is better.my main stick is a 21.just got a 20oz.cuetec for early xmas gift and practicing with it.so far i still favor the 21oz.though breakin is better with a 19..

airyago
12-28-2005, 01:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote crookedcue:</font><hr> i may be the only one,but i think heavier is better.my main stick is a 21.just got a 20oz.cuetec for early xmas gift and practicing with it.so far i still favor the 21oz.though breakin is better with a 19.. <hr /></blockquote>
Well, I was browsing and just read this and had to say
that, no, your not the only one. My Nick Varner is 22 oz
and my Excaliber is 22 oz and thats the way I like them.
They were 23 oz. My buddy, Jim's is a 24 oz Cannon.
I stroke slower on purpose. I think its more accurate.
But it all comes down to what feels right and that you
practice with it to the point of consistancy. Period.
Billiards is all about being consistant...everywhere.
Do I hear an amen? airyago@yahoo.com 'ere-ya-go

MosconiJr
12-28-2005, 10:42 AM
In my experiences, the older players use heavier cues, and the younger players use lighter cues. I think that this is because in days past, the nap on the cloth was thicker. This made the cloth play slowly, and it took a little more force to get the cue ball around the table. The older players got used to the heavier weight, and that is what they still prefer today. With the advent of Simonis, and other faster cloths in recent years, a heavier cue is not necessary to move the cue ball, so lighter cue have became more prevalent.

MJr

HALHOULE
02-26-2006, 08:22 AM
It was not about the cloth in the old days, it was about the balls; they were clay. not phenolic resin. Clay balls were much heavier.

Sid_Vicious
02-26-2006, 09:40 AM
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I've religiously played with 19.5oz cues but have really enjoyed a 20.3oz until I lost it one day. I was told it was a 19.5 when I got it but the triple beams said differently. I played with that cue for close to a year believing it was a 19.5, just goes to show you the mental snafus us veterans pose upon ourselves huh, plecebo effect is what I call it. I believe that the balance is as much the reason you hit soft or hard shots better, stroke of course is the primary key, but the weights in cues IMO are misleading. You have to hit with various weights in the same cue line to know you answers. Personally I'd probably stick with your 20oz on the sevens if you play well with it today. It'll be fine on the bigger tables as well, just adjust for the speed change, something imperative to learn asap.

As far as moving the lighter cues faster, that's mainly for breaking, and I'm of the school of thought that players try too damn hard to hammer a rack, hence lose control of the CB, plus miss the front of the headball badly and lose power from their regular break done slower and deliberate. jm2c....sid

Snapshot9
02-26-2006, 12:57 PM
I can't help but smile. Let me ask a question, just how much more speed do you guys think you will get with a break cue being 1 oz lighter? Use what is comfortable for you. How a person is physically also determines what weight of a cue they like. I have always worked out with weights and exercised, so a heavier cue does not feel 'heavy' to me. I shot with a 21 oz for over 30 years, then went to a 20.2 oz., and it feels just right to me now. My break cue is 19.5 oz., and I just turned 58.

I never could use a 'light' stick for breaking. It always felt like I was trying to move the cue ball with a straw.

Billy_Bob
02-27-2006, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snapshot9:</font><hr> ...just how much more speed do you guys think you will get with a break cue being 1 oz lighter?... <hr /></blockquote>

An interesting thing...
I went to a cue dealer who had breaking cues in a wide range of weights. I think 14oz all the way up to 28oz.

He has the extra light weight and extra heavy weight cues so people can try out all different weights of cues.

Before you purchase what you think is the correct weight cue, he takes you to his table and sets up 9-ball racks and has you break with different weight cues.

It is amazing! The weight of cue which gives each person the best spread of balls is seldom what they might think it would be. *And* everybody is different. Some do better with a lighter weight cue, others with a heavier cue.

At the time I went (years ago), I thought a real heavy cue would smash the rack to pieces. Wrong. My break fizzled. I did better in the 16oz, 17oz, 18oz area.

cushioncrawler
03-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Hi BillyBob -- when i saw your mention of 14oz to 28 oz, i couldnt stop myself from adding a few thorts -- but nothing to do with breaking -- duzzenmadder.

It remindz me of the time i uzed a 14.5oz cue for English billiardz (we uze small light 140gm soft hi-gloss krapamith ballz) -- the light cue was really good -- especially for touch.

For a while, i uzed a 32oz cue -- alltho pretty soon some of the lead-solder fell out, and it ended up being a 28oz cue -- it was really good -- especially for touch. Hmmmmmmmmm. Funny thing too -- it was the same cue each time (i just added weight).

For a while, i uzed a standard cue, but with a big deep and long chunk cut out near the tip, i scalloped out about 1/4 of the depth, for allmost 300mm length, somewhere between the join and the tip. This gave a dependable cue "kick" (bend) -- but it meant that u had to uze the same bit of the tip for each shot -- no matter what spin or draw u wanted -- hence tips didnt last long. This was my son's cue -- i wouldnt do it to one of my own cues.

Then i experimented with rubber tips -- they were great for soft shots needing lots of slow action. In fact, i didnt use a rubber tip -- i bought some white rubber (and black rubber) thingamijigz that u put on the end of chair legz (thin steel) -- hence i simply pushed them on or off the permanent tip when required -- soft masse' shots were a breeze. But u dont uze chalk on rubber, chalk reducez the friktion. But this iz all getting off the thread -- so i wont mention the really weird stuff i dunded. madMac.

cushioncrawler
03-01-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi mworkman -- your question remindz me of putting on a fast green in golf -- if u read 1000 books on golf or putting, all will say that u need a lighter putter on a really fast green. All 1000 are wrong. There was only one book ever printed that was correct on this putting issue -- it was written by Arnold Palmer -- unfortunately, the editors let his real thorts and feelings slip throo in the earlyr editions -- they didnt make the same mistake in the later editions.

SpiderMan
03-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Lately I've come to think that there may be a preferred ratio of cue weight to cueball weight.

In other words, a lighter cue for a lighter ball, so that a similar "feedback" is preserved at contact.

I first noticed this when beginning to play with my Jacoby cue four or five years ago. It was an ounce heavier than my Meucci, and it took a long time to get accustomed to it when playing league on 8' tables with red circle cueballs. On the other hand, it immediately felt "OK" with the heavier balls on bar boxes. It still feels best with a 6-ounce aramith ball, and I find myself wishing it were a little lighter when I play with a 5-3/4 or a 5-7/8 ounce cueball.

Last fall I spent a few days with Chopstick in Florida. He owns about a dozen different cueballs, and we weighed them all. Invariably, my cue felt best to me with the heavier balls, and his cue felt best to me with the lighter balls.

SpiderMan