PDA

View Full Version : Help for a new pool player on 8-ball rules

new_pool_guy
12-18-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm having trouble deciphering the actual rules for 8-ball. I've tried reading and re-reading the "WORLD STANDARDIZED RULES: 8-BALL" documents several times but it still seems to contradict everything that I've been taught (albeit by other amateurs). I was wondering if an experienced player could help clarify things for a newbie. I've always been told that on a scratch where the cue ball is pocketed in an attempt to make a legitimate play on one of your balls, that a)you lose your turn b) any pocketed balls remain pocketed and c) the opposing team gets the cue ball in hand behind the head string. The rules seem to state that on any foul (with the exception of a scratch on the break or when the ball jumps off of the table) that the opposing player can place the cue ball anywhere on the table. Is that true?

Billy_Bob
12-18-2005, 09:03 AM
There are many different "official rules". BCA rules are common for tournaments. And it is common that if you do not hit one of your balls and drive a ball to a rail (or scratch), then your opponent gets "ball-in-hand". And that means your opponent can place the cue ball *anywhere* on the table.

"Bar rules" are seldom written and will typically be different for each bar. And may change as the need dictates! But typically if you scratch, the CB needs to be placed in the kitchen.

Here is a link to BCA rules...
http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml&cat=p

tdurden87
12-18-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And it is common that if you do not hit one of your balls and drive a ball to a rail (or scratch), then your opponent gets "ball-in-hand". And that means your opponent can place the cue ball *anywhere* on the table.<hr /></blockquote>

So you must hit your own ball AND drive a ball to a rail? And does it matter whether its the cue ball or the object ball?

wolfdancer
12-18-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you must hit your own ball AND drive a ball to a rail? And does it matter whether its the cue ball or the object ball? <hr /></blockquote>
ANY ball hitting a rail after a legal hit, or any ball,except the cue ball, pocketed after a legal hit, avoids the foul.
the trick is not to confuse bar pool rules, with organized lague or tournament rules.
While legitimate safeties may be frowned on in bar play...purposely scratching when your opponent is on the 8, and it is in the kitchen, is considered brilliant strategy, and the scoop shot, somewhat loosely resembling a legitimate jump shot is both envied,and admired.

Billy_Bob
12-19-2005, 08:14 AM
I might add that when I am playing in a bar, I am doing so for fun and practice. I will always try to hit my ball and drive a ball to the rail. This is not required by "bar rules", but it is required by rules I play by elsewhere.

So I practice doing this even when playing in a bar. My opponents will not do this in a bar, and I don't ask them to nor do I expect them to. Just something I do for myself.

Cornerman
12-19-2005, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote new_pool_guy:</font><hr> I'm having trouble deciphering the actual rules for 8-ball. I've tried reading and re-reading the "WORLD STANDARDIZED RULES: 8-BALL" documents several times but it still seems to contradict everything that I've been taught (albeit by other amateurs).<hr /></blockquote>

They've never seen a rulebook in their lives. Forget about all the amateur rules. They're mostly made up in order for the weaker player to get another chance at the table.

And rack correctly. Do not do the "solid,stripe,solid stripe" garbage. You'll end up with a rack exactly contradictory to the rulebook. You need to have one solid and one stripe on the bottom corners, everything else is at rando except the 8-ball. Believe it or not, you can rack with a stripe as a head ball.

[ QUOTE ]
The rules seem to state that on any foul (with the exception of a scratch on the break or when the ball jumps off of the table) that the opposing player can place the cue ball anywhere on the table. Is that true? <hr /></blockquote>You got it. It's full-table ball-in-hand on any foul in 8-ball except scratching on the break.

Join a league. Play with real rules, rules that actually punish a player for fouling.

Fred