PDA

View Full Version : Long Live the Miami Dolphins

dg-in-centralpa
12-18-2005, 06:10 PM
The Indy Colts lost today thus preserving the Miami Dolphins record for another year. This year I really thought the Colts would do it. They looked unbeatable. Today I toasted along with the '72 Dolphins.

DG - long time fan

wolfdancer
12-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Good game though....it proves that old saying, on any sunday, any team can.....

I remember that unbeaten season....and it seems like there was one game where Griese couldn't get the team moving, and his backup, Earl Morrell, or was it Garo Yepremian ( "I keek a touchdown" ) came in, and saved the day?

I still remember the day i was watching a college football game, and this one guy said "see that QB, he's my nephew and he's going to win the Heisman."
Kid's name was Manning....Archie Manning
Hey, I can't be that old????

dg-in-centralpa
12-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Earl Morrell was the back up and Garo was the place kicker. Earl played most of that season due to Griese having a broken leg or ankle? I can't remember which it was.

DG

wolfdancer
12-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Hey, who can forget Garo's one attempt to pass? (an interception) I threw better passes in the 6th grade.
I just checked, and I was partially right...Griese went down in game 5 with a broken leg...and didn't play again until the Super Bowl.....lots of fans thought Earl should have gotten the nod
Perfect! (http://www.phins.com/72phins/)

dg-in-centralpa
12-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Earl knew he was the back up and at that time you didn't question the motives of your coach. With Griese playing, it was more of an emotional uplift to the rest of the team and a knife to the opposing team. Garo's interception was run back for a touchdown. I think this was against the Redskins in the superbowl. What a riot! I was pissed at him for not just falling on the ball. At least they didn't lose on something dumb like that.

DG

sack316
12-19-2005, 02:12 PM
I kind of doubt we'll ever see an undefeated team again in the NFL. Would have loved to see it this year, but I just doubt we wiil. The sheer competition and the longer season make it tough enough as it is, but even besides that is the fact of the need to rest the starters once you clinch home field anyway towards the end of the season. Indy is lucky Reggie Wayne isn't hurt worse than he is, and Manning took some shots as well.
But yes, high praise to Dolphin fans, y'all are indeed safe for another year.

Sack

dg-in-centralpa
12-19-2005, 03:14 PM
I agree that we probably won't ever see an undefeated team. It just makes you appreciate what the Dolphins did. Even Lombardi never did this.

DG

SPetty
12-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Well, I think it's cool that they use a pool/billiard reference when talking about it - i.e.:

"It's just another example of how tough it is to run the table in the NFL," said former Dolphins defensive lineman Manny Fernandez.
web page (http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Football/2005/12/19/1359623-sun.html)

They claim if the Colts truly want to be remembered for all time, they must attempt to run the table unbeaten.
web page (http://www.mlive.com/sports/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-3/1134818130180440.xml&coll=6)

If the Colts run the table, itís likely to be considered the greatest season by one team in any sports league in history.
web page (http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/35573/)

etc.

I heard the quote on the radio this morning and got a kick out of it, so looked it up and found quite a few. I guess it's a "football" way to say "win all your games"?

Mrs_DG
12-19-2005, 08:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> The Indy Colts lost today thus preserving the Miami Dolphins record for another year. This year I really thought the Colts would do it. They looked unbeatable. Today I toasted along with the '72 Dolphins.

DG - long time fan <hr /></blockquote>

And I, Mrs. DG breathe a sigh of relief "AAAHHHhhhh" because he is happy and I can cheer for the Colts again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif My first football heroes...Johnny U, Bubba Smith, Tom Matte, Jimmy Orr...and I HATED JOE NAMATH!

Mrs. DG

ARJ
12-19-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm a Dolphin fan but I'm not one that believes in the sanctity of the '72 team. I've really enjoyed watching this Colts team this season and if they would have gone undefeated I wouldn't have lost any sleep over it.

Even more enjoyable is me getting to cash the future i made in Vegas this year. Dolphins over 6 1/2 wins/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While a few years away from being back in the playoffs probably these Dolphins are learning how to win again.

ARJ

dg-in-centralpa
12-20-2005, 10:47 AM
True, but they still need a QB and should get rid of Ricky Williams for some offensive linemen. No question, the Colts are fun to watch, and I expect them to take the Super Bowl this year. This will please Mrs. DG who is still bitter that Don Shula left them.

DG

catscradle
12-20-2005, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> .... No question, the Colts are fun to watch, ....

DG <hr /></blockquote>

Well, except for the fact that they play INDOORS. Football and baseball were meant to be played in the elements.