PDA

View Full Version : Movie Review

Cornerman
12-19-2005, 08:29 AM
First off, I haven't watched the movie yet, but I dug out our copies of the Chronicles of Narnia series and re-read book 1, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Now that I'm an adult, the book reads like it's for 3rd graders. So, it's just right for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway, my 15-yr old daughter watched the movie and said it was awesome. I need to see it now.

But, on to the other review. We watched King Kong yesterday. I've got one word: WOW!!!!! This is one of the best movies I've ever seen. They remade something closer to the the original King Kong, as opposed to the 70's version. Even though I knew the entire movie, Peter Jackson used everything in his power to absolutely rip at every feeling and emotion in my body. The only other movie that I found as intense was Backdraft (whose intensity was it's only saving grace).

The cinematography was as breathless as Far and Away. The special affects were on par with the Lord of the Trilogy and even better than Jurassic Park.

Naomi Watts was as good as it gets portraying a rookie film actress attempting to pull at the heartstrings of the movie viewers with a simple look of grief or happiness. I'd say she nailed it.

Jack Black was slightly miscast, IMO, but up until his very last line (the last line of the movie, unfortunately), his lead role was the best acting of his career, IMO.

The movie is long, at about 3hrs, but there was non-stop action with only one moment of lull... so we could catch our collective breath (or run to the bathroom). I can't wait to see what scenes they had to leave on the cutting room floor.

Fred <~~~ waiting for the DVD

Deeman3
12-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the nice review. i was waiting to see what people thought before putting down $20 for us to go see it. I had considered waiting for the DVD but sounds like it is one to see in the theater.

Deeman

catscradle
12-19-2005, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cornerman:</font><hr> ...
Fred &lt;~~~ waiting for the DVD <hr /></blockquote>

I wait for the DVD for every movie.
Steve. &lt;-- Cheap SOB.

Sid_Vicious
12-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Let's hope it is done in HD when made into DVD format...sid

Fasteddy7
12-19-2005, 11:47 AM
You will love Narnia. The fam (me,wife &amp; 2 boys, 4 and 6)went on opening day because my wife had read the books when she was younger. I just went along knowing the boys will like it. I found myself really enjoying the movie. I did notice some scenes that were taken from the bible, not that I care, I just thought it was interesting. Great movie about good and bad.

Cornerman
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fasteddy7:</font><hr> You will love Narnia.

I did notice some scenes that were taken from the bible, not that I care, I just thought it was interesting. Great movie about good and bad. <hr /></blockquote>CS Lewis was a devout Christian whose stories often had religious inspiration.

Fred

wolfdancer
12-19-2005, 12:59 PM
Only have one word for your review......Blasphemy!!!!
To try to hold Naomi Watts up to the standard set by Fay Wray, is just fey...like trying to compare Mighty Joe Young to the King. Johnny Weismuller's Tarzan had the "yell"....and Fay Wray had the "scream" , the standards for those who dare attempt to recreate their roles.
Can Naomi Watts compare with the classic innocent beauty of Ms Wray?

Read this film bio of the mesmerizing Fay:

[ QUOTE ]
A direct line can be traced from the black-and-white histrionics of waifish flapper babe of yore Fay Wray and the full-color scream queens of today's gore and horror extravaganzas. When Fay Wray wailed and wilted in the grasp of the big title ape in King Kong (1933), she had already been emoting up a storm in silent films for at least a decade. How was she to know that the combination of a very attractive woman in peril, a skimpy outfit, and a slip of nip would turn out to be such a successful and long-running Hollywood formula? And how was she to know that her brief bobbling of boob into the never-blinking eye of the camera lens would have the unblinking attention of skinthusiasts down through the ages? Check out King Kong, and go a little ape.
Skinfo: Struck by her range of screams, producers cast Fay in a slew of shriekers, including The Vampire Bat (1933), Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) and The Most Dangerous Game (1932). Sadly, none of these had the power to again scare the tit out of her.
Quote: On being pitched her part in King Kong: "The only thing they'd tell me was that it was going to have the tallest, darkest leading man in Hollywood. Well, naturally, I thought of Clark Gable, hopefully." <hr /></blockquote>
So, until Naomi Watts stars in more classics like these.....she'll alway be "second banana" to the immortal
Fay Wray
And lets not forget that this is not a horror picture, but a love story....I hope that in this remake, the censors will allow Fay's classic line, sadly cut from the original:
"Is that a banana, or are you just glad to see me?"

dg-in-centralpa
12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I saw Narnia with Mrs. DG and my 15 yer old daughter. They loved it and have read the books. I wasn't impressed but never read the books either.
On the other hand we saw King Kong and I thought it sucked. I've seen the original over 300 times and while they did their best to hold true to the original they missed the boat on some things. Special effects were great. I'm glad that they did the spider scene that was missing from the original. Noami Watts falls in love with Kong? Give me a break. Current reviews mentioned about Fay Wray screaming so much in the original, but she was scared to death. Not falling in love like Watts. Watts climbed to the top of the Empire State Bldg, to try and stop the planes from shooting Kong. She walks down the middle of the street in NY, towards Kong, in slow motion like to long lost lovers, middle of winter with a sleeveless dress and high heels. Very top of the State Bldg the same way, the wind would have blown her over the edge. This is the worst movie I've seen in a while. It is a waste of money.

DG - I'll stick with the original, thank you very much

Cornerman
12-19-2005, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Can Naomi Watts compare with the classic innocent beauty of Ms Wray?<hr /></blockquote> I think Jackson definitely paid hommage to Fay, as far as the look is concerned. Naomi really did do a great job in her facial expressions alone.
[ QUOTE ]
So, until Naomi Watts stars in more classics like these.....she'll alway be "second banana" to the immortal
Fay Wray<hr /></blockquote>
Well... she was the lead in The Ring.

[ QUOTE ]
And lets not forget that this is not a horror picture, but a love story....I hope that in this remake, the censors will allow Fay's classic line, sadly cut from the original:
"Is that a banana, or are you just glad to see me?" <hr /></blockquote>LOL!!!! Really.

Fred

Cornerman
12-19-2005, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Noami Watts falls in love with Kong? <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WolfDancer:</font><hr>And lets not forget that this is not a horror picture, but a love story<hr /></blockquote>

I thought it was a love story.

Fred

dg-in-centralpa
12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
It's a one sided love story. Naomi falls in love with Kong, I don't think she wanted to leave the island. She's supposed to be afraid for her life not get turned on by him.

DG

Mrs_DG
12-19-2005, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> we saw King Kong and I thought it sucked. Noami Watts falls in love with Kong? Give me a break. This is the worst movie I've seen in a while. It is a waste of money.

DG - I'll stick with the original, thank you very much <hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif While my sweetheart husband does make some valid points, I really enjoyed the movie! Make sure you see it in a theatre with a good sound system. Part way through, I heard noise behind us and thought someone was rustling paper, but it was Kong approaching through the forest, breaking trees.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can tell time was spent studying real gorillas by the way the new Kong behaved. And I liked the way "Ann" and "Kong" began to communicate and understand each other.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just go see it and have fun!

Mrs. DG

hmmm, DG rates this movie as the worst ever? Even worse that Killer Clowns from Outer Space and Attack of the Killer Tomatos?

ARJ
12-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Chronicles of Narnia is a fantastic book set, I've got several of them in my collection (sets that is). Whether or not I see the movie in the theatre is still up in the air. I've no doubt it'll be awesome. I'm even more up in the air about Kong.

ARJ~~~not really a movie guy