PDA

View Full Version : Information Sources Requested

Machinegirlrocks
12-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Where would i be able to find information on the game of 8-ball; specifically, the goal of the player in this game, creation of the game, etc.?
Machinegirlrocks

Bob_Jewett
12-19-2005, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Machinegirlrocks:</font><hr> Where would i be able to find information on the game of 8-ball; specifically, the goal of the player in this game, creation of the game, etc.?
Machinegirlrocks <hr /></blockquote>
The rules are on line in several places, including the BCA's web site www.bca-pool.com. (http://www.bca-pool.com.)

A brief history of the rules is available as an article at

http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/BD_articles.html

But it sounds like you are starting from absolutely zero knowledge about the game, and have never seen the game played. Why the interest?

Machinegirlrocks
12-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Actually I am not new to pool,in fact, I've played since I was 11 yrs old, I'm 44 now. I was just hoping to find some helpful information for an issue that has arisen in the online poolgame that I play. In the game of 8-ball, we have had more and more players start snooking and intentionally fouling through intire games until they can completely run their balls off. They argue that snooking and safe shots are legal, but it's infuriating to get snooked shot after shot through out the game until your opponent has either pocketed all of his, or can run them all out successfully

raodwarior
12-19-2005, 02:21 PM
That is a perfectly legal tactic and one that is often employed at the higher levels of play. You need to learn how to kick and play safe yourself as well.

Bob_Jewett
12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Machinegirlrocks:</font><hr> ... They argue that snooking and safe shots are legal, but it's infuriating to get snooked shot after shot through out the game until your opponent has either pocketed all of his, or can run them all out successfully
<hr /></blockquote>
It's called "snookering," usually. In the US, it's also called "playing safe" or "hooking your opponent." In many bars, it's considered unmanly to play safe, and I played in a bar league that specifically outlawed safety play. It is, however, within the rules, and people who know how to play well know how and when to play safe and how to escape from of safes. It sounds like this is a facet of your game you need to start polishing.

supergreenman
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Machinegirlrocks:</font><hr> Actually I am not new to pool,in fact, I've played since I was 11 yrs old, I'm 44 now. I was just hoping to find some helpful information for an issue that has arisen in the online poolgame that I play. In the game of 8-ball, we have had more and more players start snooking and intentionally fouling through intire games until they can completely run their balls off. They argue that snooking and safe shots are legal, but it's infuriating to get snooked shot after shot through out the game until your opponent has either pocketed all of his, or can run them all out successfully
<hr /></blockquote>

Ah, I was wondering when one of you anti-tapper zealots was going to show his/her head here. I'm not one of the people that use safeties none stop, most of the time I'll just try and run the table out, but there is a time and a place for a safety and it IS perfectly within the rules of the electronic pool sites I frequent (pogo and rarely yahoo). All I can say to you is that if it wasn't a legal shot, they wouldn't allow it. That being said, when I do play safe I always follow BCA rules and hit a rail.

So suck it up and learn to kick.

Machinegirlrocks
12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
I appreciate the immediate replies to my postings and I agree that while I do not like or approve of this playing safe strategy personally, it would greatly benefit my game to learn and improve safe playing. Again, I would appreciate any suggestions on where I can get such training and help.

Bob_Jewett
12-19-2005, 03:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Machinegirlrocks:</font><hr>... I would appreciate any suggestions on where I can get such training and help. <hr /></blockquote>
There are books and magazine articles that discuss safety play. If you are serious about your game, you need to start a library and you may want to subscribe to a magazine, such as Billiards Digest. For books, begin with Robert Byrne. You may also want to contact a pool instructor for a couple of hours of safety play help.

On Byrne's tape, Power Pool Workout, he introduces the "hooked" game in which you get points for playing good safeties, but maybe someone here knows the rules.

Machinegirlrocks
12-19-2005, 03:34 PM
supergreenman; since I did not, at any time, insult, name-call, or otherwise direct aggression at you or anyone else who employs safe playing, I really don't see why you feel the need to do these things to me. Another point I'd like to bring to light is that I understand the need for safety shots in a game, but, when I see my opponent bypass easy and straight-in shots that would've pocketed his balls just for the purpose of snooking me, I must say that I do wonder why that opponent doesn't just go buy a snooker game and play it instead. Instead of being such a hothead, you could indulge the idea of opening your mind; just because you have an opinion, which you (and I) are entitled to, you act as though a person's disagreement with your opinion automatically makes him/her wrong when in reality it just means that they are on the other side of the issue than you are.

supergreenman
12-19-2005, 03:45 PM
I apologize, I shouldn't have said what I did, it was wrong of me to lump you in with the people that are rude to me for making legal safeties.

If you ever want a game, I'd be happy to play you. PM for my e-mail.

James

SPetty
12-19-2005, 03:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Machinegirlrocks:</font><hr> ...when I see my opponent bypass easy and straight-in shots that would've pocketed his balls just for the purpose of snooking me, I must say that I do wonder why that opponent doesn't just go buy a snooker game and play it instead. <hr /></blockquote>Is the game of snooker a game of snooking people?

Anyway, remember that the point of the game is to win the game, not just pocket balls. There's no reason to pocket balls at all unless it helps toward the end goal of winning the game. Just because there is an open shot on the table doesn't mean that the best choice is to pocket a ball. Sometimes, there is a better choice and if you can get ball-in-hand, that's often the best choice.

Play to win.

supergreenman
12-19-2005, 03:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Machinegirlrocks:</font><hr> ...when I see my opponent bypass easy and straight-in shots that would've pocketed his balls just for the purpose of snooking me, I must say that I do wonder why that opponent doesn't just go buy a snooker game and play it instead. <hr /></blockquote>Is the game of snooker a game of snooking people?

Anyway, remember that the point of the game is to win the game, not just pocket balls. There's no reason to pocket balls at all unless it helps toward the end goal of winning the game. Just because there is an open shot on the table doesn't mean that the best choice is to pocket a ball. Sometimes, there is a better choice and if you can get ball-in-hand, that's often the best choice.

Play to win. <hr /></blockquote>

I totally agree with that. Tap tap tap..... pool is a bloodsport /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cane
12-19-2005, 07:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ...remember that the point of the game is to win the game, not just pocket balls. There's no reason to pocket balls at all unless it helps toward the end goal of winning the game. Play to win. <hr /></blockquote>

Excellent post Spetty. A friend of mine was talking to one of the great 8-Ball players of all time (who happens to live just a little west of you) and asked him what he looks for when he's playing 8-Ball, his answer, "Ball in hand". The next question was what do you look for after that... answer: "Ball in hand".

This, coming from an 8-Ball champion, seems sound advice. I personally love to play people that try to run out racks when there are tough clusters on the table. If they want to gamble, I'll give them the break and let them clear out all they want... they'll usually get hung up, I'll make a ball, break a cluster, play safe, do it again, and again, however many times it takes. It's part of the game and should be accepted as such.

Another great teacher once told me that you can win most games of 8-Ball by never making a ball, just play safe, let the guy get desperate and cut his own throat in the end game. I don't have enough patience to try that! LOL I'll go for the breakouts, and if I get them, run what I can, but if I don't have a clear runout, then I'm looking for someplace to hide the CB.

Later,
Bob

Scott Lee
12-20-2005, 12:43 PM
machinegirlrocks...Books &amp; videos can only provide some information. If you really want to learn some strategy, I would suggest seeking the services of a professional instructor. If you're interested, PM me, and I can help you find what you want in IA.

Scott Lee