PDA

View Full Version : How to make the best of a house cue?

srvrules
12-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Hey guys,
What would you do to make a house cue better, could a tip tool help at all? It's getting pretty hard to find a decent house cue around my area and I need some help bad!

Daniel

Deeman3
12-20-2005, 11:46 AM
If a tip is slick, a tip toll will help rough it up a bit. A little steel wool or fine grit sandpaper might smooth the shaft a bit. Not much you can do for crooked sticks except see which direction it is warped in and turn that side up or down.

Deeman

Scott Lee
12-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Like Deeman said, the tip is the most important part of the house cue. I usually carry a small piece of 60 or 80 grit sandpaper in my pocket, when I know I'm going out to play in a bar. That will easily scuff the tip enough (even if it's a slip-on tip) to hold chalk.

Scott Lee

Cane
12-20-2005, 10:49 PM
I keep a Williard tip tool on my keychain just for house cues. I don't use it on my personal cues... they're nice on a solid leather tip, but they can wreak havoc on a Moori or other layered tip!

Later,
Bob

DickLeonard
12-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Srvrules, here is how Willie Hoppe harvested tips, when putting on an exhibition he would ask the room owner if he could hit balls with his house cues and if he found a tip he liked could he take the tip off of the cue. That way he had a steady supply of good hitting tips.

You have to ask the houseman if you could try all his house cues and if you find one that you like could he store it as your private cue. Offer to buy the cue which costs less than 20$ Most poolrooms should love this arrangement because you now become a steady customer there. If they sell you a two-piece cue you can move all over the country.####

ceebee
12-21-2005, 02:18 PM
I don't think it's necessary to scuff up the tip on a house cue, if you're gonna use it as a TOMATO STAKE. I just pound them in the ground, even if they have a slip-on tip.

Now if I have to use a house cue, to play pool with, I scuff up the tip with my trusty Williard Tool. After the game, I just pound them in the ground, like I said before.

I live in America, land of plenty. I really like playing with one of my Auerbachs, Hueblers, Pechauers, McDermotts or Schon cues. For that reason I always have one with me...

Bob_Jewett
12-21-2005, 02:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> ... I usually carry a small piece of 60 or 80 grit sandpaper in my pocket, when I know I'm going out to play in a bar. ... <hr /></blockquote>
In addition, carry a piece of #600 wet-or-dry to clean the shaft. Or #300 if they serve pizza.

Deeman3
12-21-2005, 02:53 PM
A better question might be, What the hell are you guys spending all this time in worthless bars with cheap sticks?

I know Ceebee is an elitist left winger who can afford 23 cues but would rather kiss George Bush than play on coin ops....no one pocket victims there... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, despite Scott's line of "I used to be a gambler" he will use anything to separate a banger's money from his pockets, on a bar box, with or without cloth... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman
What's that fuzzy stuff under the rails on these tables?

Stretch
12-21-2005, 07:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote srvrules:</font><hr> Hey guys,
What would you do to make a house cue better, could a tip tool help at all? It's getting pretty hard to find a decent house cue around my area and I need some help bad!

Daniel <hr /></blockquote>

Choosing house wood. Like everyone agrees i think the biggest thing is the tip. Pick out as many as is available with the best tips. Narrow down the selection to weight, or wut feels best after a few strokes. Now u should be down to 2 or 3. Hold them up to your eye and spin to check for strieghtness. Pick the one that has the cleanest ferrul, and the fewest dings and dents.

Now all u need is a damp paper towel from the restroom to wipe it down followed by a dry. Some 80 grit paper (should always carry a piece)to "ROLL" not scrape over tip, and your in buisness. St.

Scott Lee
12-22-2005, 06:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>

Now, despite Scott's line of "I used to be a gambler" he will use anything to separate a banger's money from his pockets, on a bar box, with or without cloth... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman
What's that fuzzy stuff under the rails on these tables? <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Dee! Now the SECRET is out! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott