PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Acupuncture!

Deeman3
12-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Well,
Being in a Korean company, I am getting accupuncture from one of my Korean V.P.'s. He has 12 years experience in this and it seems to be helping but may be in my mind. Any of you have any experience with this?

I don't care if it smacks of vooddo if it continues to help. It beats surgery, so far....

Deeman
28 needles in my hand, and no drug abuse involved....

wolfdancer
12-20-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Being in a Korean company <hr /></blockquote>

Ah....North ? or South? ....and do they have you playing solitaire?

Drop1
12-20-2005, 07:00 PM
See: National Council Against Health Fraud, they say there is no evidence of credibilty. There have been many studies,all agreeing acupuncture is useless. That being said, The National Istitute of Health,came out singing high praise,saying it should be covered by insurance. Now for the personal testimonial {I quit smoking in one day with the help of acupuncture] I had been a heavy smoker for 18 years. Go figure

Rich R.
12-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Although I have never had acupuncture, I have has some contact with a few people who have. It worked for all of them.
One lady, was confined to a wheel chair, due to back problems IIRC, and the doctors said that there was nothing they could do. After acupuncture, she was able to walk quite well, with the aide of a cane.
I don't think it will work for everything, but, I think it works for a lot of things.

Gayle in MD
12-21-2005, 09:12 AM
I'm glad you found some relief.

Gayle in Md.,

Rod
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Deeman,

I had accupuncture several years ago for a severe pain in my leg and lower back. I went several times and it did help but it was not the cure. I found later it was a ruptured disc in my back and ended up having surgery. My right leg before surgery was actually over 1 inch smaller than my left from the nerves being pinched so bad. I'm fine now but I would never assume a cure without a MRI CAT scan etc. Had I of known how badly damaged it was from the beginning I would never had the treatments. Which was on my dime.

Rod

Deeman3
12-21-2005, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Deeman,

I had accupuncture several years ago for a severe pain in my leg and lower back. I went several times and it did help but it was not the cure. I found later it was a ruptured disc in my back and ended up having surgery. My right leg before surgery was actually over 1 inch smaller than my left from the nerves being pinched so bad. I'm fine now but I would never assume a cure without a MRI CAT scan etc. Had I of known how badly damaged it was from the beginning I would never had the treatments. Which was on my dime.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Rod, I have much the same condition in my neck with the pinched nerves numbing my arm. I have the same concern as you do but am trying to avoid the surgery if possible. I'm just afrad of having my neck fused. I am only using the alternative therapy to gain some time to decide my next move.

Thanks,

Deeman</font color>

Drop1
12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
I have the same problem-pinched nerve cervical disks- in my opinion the operation is not an option.

Deeman3
12-21-2005, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I have the same problem-pinched nerve cervical disks- in my opinion the operation is not an option. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Do you mean it's not an option you would do or that it's not optional and you would have the surgery?

deeman </font color>

Ace
12-21-2005, 10:23 PM
DEEMAN,
I really like alot of things about Asians. I don't know if you know or not, but I have had two major surgeries to my spine at L4 and L5 including the fusion at 17 years of age. I curently need another opperation. If you let the nerves continue to be damaged, the end result can only get worse, even with drug therapy or what ever you do for pain.
See ya at Derby, ACE

Deeman3
12-22-2005, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ace:</font><hr> DEEMAN,
I really like alot of things about Asians. <font color="blue"> Maybe that's the reason you amrried such a beautiful one! </font color> I don't know if you know or not, but I have had two major surgeries to my spine at L4 and L5 including the fusion at 17 years of age. I curently need another opperation. <font color="blue"> Had no idea you had this problem. </font color> If you let the nerves continue to be damaged, the end result can only get worse, even with drug therapy or what ever you do for pain. <font color="blue">Thanks for the info. </font color>
See ya at Derby, <font color="blue"> Yes, I bet we draw each other, first round. That's the way it always happens. LOL </font color> ACE <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

Nostroke
12-22-2005, 07:56 AM
I tried it for my back- i have a pinched nerve that i feel all the way into my toes. I had high hopes-My firend had excruciiating sciatica that Acupuncture cured in one session. I really was counting on it for some relief. It did not make on iota of difference. There was never one second that i thought it was doing anything. It was real disappointing.

SnakebyteXX
12-22-2005, 11:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Well,
Being in a Korean company, I am getting accupuncture from one of my Korean V.P.'s. He has 12 years experience in this and it seems to be helping but may be in my mind. Any of you have any experience with this?

I don't care if it smacks of vooddo if it continues to help. It beats surgery, so far....

Deeman
28 needles in my hand, and no drug abuse involved.... <hr /></blockquote>

I've had enough experience with it to know that just like chiropractors - there are good accupuncturists and there are quacks. The good ones can do remarkable things with their needle work - the quacks will promise you anything - do little or nothing to affect change in what ails you and take your money regardless.

My wife is a big fan of both chiropractic and accupuncture. Her current chiropracter has effectively reversed problems she was having with carpal tunnel syndrome (most doctors can only recommend neural surgery for this condition). The accupunturist has helped her with alleviating severe PMS symptoms (THANK YOU accupunture person!).

Accupunture may or may not impact on your neck problem. It will help immensely if you can find a good one. Could make all the difference.

Snake

Deeman3
12-22-2005, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr> Well,

Deeman

I've had enough experience with it to know that just like chiropractors - there are good accupuncturists and there are quacks. The good ones can do remarkable things with their needle work - the quacks will promise you anything - do little or nothing to affect change in what ails you and take your money regardless.

My wife is a big fan of both chiropractic and accupunture. Her current chiropracter has effectively reversed problems she was having with carpal tunnel syndrome (most doctors can only recommend neural surgery for this condition). The accupunturist has helped her with alleviating severe PMS symptoms (THANK YOU accupunture person!).

Accupunture may or may not impact on your neck problem. It will help immensely if you can find a good one. Could make all the difference.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Snake,

Thanks for the advice. I don't know how to tell if this guy is a good one. He is highly reccomended by all my other Korean managers, plus,as he works for me, it has no cost associated excpet the time he is not working on something else for us.

He seems to be very knowledgable but what the heck would I know. NOw that I've started, I'm going to follow through as I have nothing to lose. It's entirely painless to me and at least it seems to be helping.

Maybe I'm just a chicken over the surgery but the surgeon seems so anxious to do it, I feel I am mostly just buying him a new swimming pool or something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

Deeman

Vapros
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
While we're on the subject, I just signed up for some prolotherapy injections for a painful condition in my neck and shoulder, caused by degenerating cervical discs. They will be done at a pain management clinic - they don't fix the structural problem. I'll settle for that, at this point. First treatment will be on 1-13-06, after I have a high-priced X-ray study of my neck in motion. It will be recorded on a DVD.

Has anyone here had this experience? It's new and a little controversial. There is some info on the internet, if you are interested.

Voodoo Daddy
12-22-2005, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman3:</font><hr>I don't care if it smacks of vooddo if it continues to help. It beats surgery, so far....

Deeman

What did I do now? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
12-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Vapros, I'd like to know more about this. Do you have a recommended link?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> While we're on the subject, I just signed up for some prolotherapy injections for a painful condition in my neck and shoulder, caused by degenerating cervical discs. They will be done at a pain management clinic - they don't fix the structural problem. I'll settle for that, at this point. First treatment will be on 1-13-06, after I have a high-priced X-ray study of my neck in motion. It will be recorded on a DVD.

Has anyone here had this experience? It's new and a little controversial. There is some info on the internet, if you are interested. <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman3
12-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Me too, Me too...

Deeman

Vapros
12-23-2005, 12:18 PM
No, I don't have a link. I just asked for 'prolotherapy' on Google and got some contacts. Most of them seem to be two or three years old, but at least you can discover how the program is supposed to work, and local physician contacts in each state.

I'm not totally comfortable with it, but I was referred by my physiatrist at the Ochsner clinic, (now Humana), and I believe the insurance plan there will pay for the injections, but I will have to pay for the X-ray. I don't think there is much to fear, or at least I hope there is not.

The neurosurgeon tells me that I should not have surgery at this point, and physical therapy wasn't much help, so this prolotherapy seems to be what's left. I'll post again when I have something to report.

Vapros
12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
By the way, the guy doing mine is Paul C. Kramm, MD at 8595 United Plaza Boulevard, Suite 200, Baton Rouge 70809. Phone number is (225) 757-5657. Fax (225) 757-5760.